WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Need advice - Winding Stair Gap to NOC starting mid-July

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to help a rookie hiker! I don't know anyone who backpacks and the trail clubs I have met hike faster than I want to and don't overnight, so getting experience has been difficult so far. I am planning a section hike starting July 10th, and I have my heart set on backpacking a few days of the AT the one week I have the chance. I will buy Awol's AT guide before I go.

Background: My wilderness experience is half a dozen day hikes of 5-9 miles and 3 nights of camping with my backpacking gear. I have almost all of the gear I need, and will pick up the rest soon. I am overweight and in not great, but improving, physical conditioning.

Questions:

Am I likely to have a problem going from Houston at sea level to 3000+ft?

Is the trail at this point too steep/difficult to recommend as a beginning section? (I chose it for the views and convenient start and end.)

Can I rely on the springs/water sources marked at wikitrail.org or is there a better way to plan for water refills?

What are the bugs/mosquitoes like in mid-July?

Will I be okay to use a bag liner and 40*top quilt or should I go ahead and buy a 40* rated bag? (I currently don't have a sleeping bag.)

Should I get trekking poles for this section/the AT in general? The more I read, the more I feel like 'yes' is the answer here.

Can you think of anything else to tell me that might help?

Muchas Gracias!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akamai42 View Post
    First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to help a rookie hiker! I don't know anyone who backpacks and the trail clubs I have met hike faster than I want to and don't overnight, so getting experience has been difficult so far. I am planning a section hike starting July 10th, and I have my heart set on backpacking a few days of the AT the one week I have the chance. I will buy Awol's AT guide before I go.

Background: My wilderness experience is half a dozen day hikes of 5-9 miles and 3 nights of camping with my backpacking gear. I have almost all of the gear I need, and will pick up the rest soon. I am overweight and in not great, but improving, physical conditioning.

Questions:

Am I likely to have a problem going from Houston at sea level to 3000+ft?

Is the trail at this point too steep/difficult to recommend as a beginning section? (I chose it for the views and convenient start and end.)

Can I rely on the springs/water sources marked at wikitrail.org or is there a better way to plan for water refills?

What are the bugs/mosquitoes like in mid-July?

Will I be okay to use a bag liner and 40*top quilt or should I go ahead and buy a 40* rated bag? (I currently don't have a sleeping bag.)

Should I get trekking poles for this section/the AT in general? The more I read, the more I feel like 'yes' is the answer here.

Can you think of anything else to tell me that might help?

Muchas Gracias!
    No, altitude effects dont start till 8000 ft usually.
    No, its typical trail. There is easier, but you are choosing a part with much scenic views so its more rewarding. You will work hard, so dont plan too many mpd if not in shape.
    Get a guidebook, it will show the water sources and locations. Ask people from other directions for info in case water sources are dry
    Bugs not bad at AT elevations usually.
    You will likely sweat in 40 before midnight. Probably sleep with just liner, and pull bag over you in wee hrs of morning. Expect 60F for low.
    I say get poles.
    Keep pack light. Have fun.

WS to NOC is a great section in the south due to the views . Ive done it several times with various people that I introduced to AT hiking. I always take them all the way to Fontana, but NOC works. And you got a meal at NOC to look forward to when you get there, so time it for that. Whether breakfast or dinner or whatever, make sure the restaurant is open when you arrive.

Ive never done it in heat of summer though, but elevations are high so its about as cool as you will find in south.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-17-2016 at 18:23.

Being from Houston, the "heat" in the mountains shouldn't bother you, it's the ups and downs that you'll notice! The restaurant at NOC is open 8-8, as are the stores there. The downhill into NOC would be tough without poles IMO. Have a great time!

I just did this section last fall. As far as the water conditions/temperatures, I can not speak because I did this section at a completely different time of the year. I would expect similar humidity (maybe less) than Houston. The climb out of Winding Stair Gap is very gradual with only a few "steeper" spots, and those are not high mountain steep. I would like to make a couple recommendations: Firstly, if you can, try to make one of your nights camping spots Rocky Knob. There is no water, so fill up at Cold Water shelter, but the views are so wonderful up there, you will not be disappointed by camping there. You get a whole view of the Smokies to the west, Albert Mt. and Standing Indian Mt. to the east, and Franklin right in front of you. Secondly, the 7 mile decent into the NOC is mostly gradual (there than the jump off), but a bit grueling on the body. I would highly recommend using trekking poles just for this reason. (I use them all the time any way, but this decent is no joke as far as the number of miles using your down hill muscles). I think I wrote about this section in my trail journal, that I welcome you to read just to get an idea of the terrain (if I even spoke about that, I can't remember). http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=517062
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm sure this is the same as everyone else, but just in case...

- You're going to be hot and sweaty. Dress for it.
    - The quilt will be fine. No need for a liner.
    - Get a guidebook (Guthook/Awol) for water, but if you drink/fill often as you come to sources (marked or not) it's easier to manage.
    - The descent into the NOC is a lot of downhill and is rough on the bones/joints/ankles/knees.
    - I suggest poles and a light pack weight (30lbs or under) for sure.
    - I'd also bring a bug head net or be prepared to make a campfire when you settle in to manage insects.

All great advice. I did Wayah Gap to the NOC this past Memorial Day weekend as an overnighter. I've done this section numerous times. Definitly get yourself a pair of poles and know how to properly use them...very steep, prolonged downhill going into the NOC. Your sleeping gear should be fine...maybe a bit too much and that'd from a person who sleeps cold. Shouldn't be an issue with bugs...any around tend to go away in the evening. Use the guidebook for info on water sources. It will tend to be warm and humid. I'd end my days near a water source and clean up well using LNT practices. Just be aware...you will get rained upon from afternoon thundershowers. Sometimes at these elevations, these shower can cool the temperatures down quite dramatically in a short time. Finally, don't be near any open areas (balds, fire towers) if these storms roll in because of the lightning danger. Have a great hike.

Images

In regard to altitude, you may not have a problem but you will notice some diminished aerobic capacity. I live in Florida at 42' above sea level. I did Standing Indian campground up to the AT and then on to NOC and Newfound gap in 2013 at age 64. I'm only in average shape and carrying 35 lbs was a struggle at times going up the Kimsey creek trail. By the time I headed out of NOC the climb was much more manageable and coming up out of Fontana was no problem at all.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Bring a fresh change of clothes and a towel and some quarters for the showers at NOC. Get cleaned up and grab a sandwich and drink at the cafe and sit on the deck and let the sounds of the river wash your mind to ease.

Images

Agree with all the above. In July the trail will be humid, just not quite as hot as Houston (normally). GET POLES! I walk a lot, but on flat land like you (College Station). I thought I was ready, but my knees were just not up to speed my first time out; all of the ups and (especially) downs killed them. By the second day I almost couldn't walk. One my second section I walked bleachers at the high school to prepare, gave my knees a break several times throughout the day, and took poles. Get poles!

++ New Posts ++