Journal Entries
    Images

Default how much water needed when hiking hut to hut The Whites

I will be doing a very small section of The White Mountains in July (the 11-15 if there are any NOBO doing same say hi) and while my mileage per day is only about 4-5miles it seems there are plenty of elevation changes to make it plenty enough challenging for me. Dose anyone have a good guide of deciding how much water to carry? I am looking at buying a hydration system?
    In general a four hour hike can take me through a a liter, but those are day hikes and i have very little else in the back.
    Any suggestions on hydrations systems that you like/ are relaible and easy to maintain etc are also appreciated.
    Much thanks, Sue

Definitely buy a hydration system and plan no less than 2L per day plus whatever you might need for cooking. I would recommend a detailed map of the AT (you can get them for each state) or the AT Guide which would indicate where the water sources are. Depending on what part of the trail, there will be more/less access to water.

Camelback/Platypus make 2-3L systems. Platypus has a model that makes it easy to clean, but both will do the trick!

And I definitely would not buy a hydration system, unless you just want one.

If hiking hut-to-hut, you won't need to cook. The trails can be quite steep and rough, but even if you are moving slowly, you'll likely be able to maintain 1 mph.

Maps, rangers, AT guides, and the AMC's White Mountain guide all have good information about water sources, so you can plan places to fill up.

You'll probably drink about the same amount per hour hiking the Whites (whatever you are carrying) as you have in the past, and, even if you find you want to drink a little more or less, you won't die of dehydration by starting off with the assumption that you will drink the same and then adjust as your trip progresses. It's not like your hiking in a desert, although the ridge-lines can be sparse on water as you will note from the above listed information sources.

Hiking those trails, I generally do quite well with one or two 750 ml bottles of water between sources, depending on which stretch of the trail I'm on.

As for bladders, if you want one, most of the brand name bladders work well. However, of the options, I recommend CamelBak, if for no other reason, they have, by far, the best bite valve and the internal baffle helps them carry better when full than, say a Platypus, that is a more bulky tubular shape.

Have fun!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

You shouldn't need a whole lot of water only going 4-5 miles a day. But the only two huts located that close are Mitzpa and Lakes, all the others are more like 10+ miles apart. Although one could camp between some huts at shelter/tent sites making for a 4-5 mile day, but now you need a full pack while just going hut to hut you don't. Since most of the trail in "The Whites" is near or above tree line, water is scare. You need to fill up at the huts or shelter sites.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'd vote for a simple hydration system, on general principle. I resisted that for a long time, for no good reason.

With the hydration system, you sip whenever you feel like it, and there's no need to stop. Without it, you have to stop to pull a bottle out of a pack pocket.

It's not about the "wasted time" -- it's about taking water exactly when you want it, in small sips, instead of delaying that action for a convenient stopping place, scenic view, etc.

Now that the Platy Holster with waiststrap is no longer available, I only use the Big Zip for a gravity-fed Sawyer Squeeze overnight or in camp water filtration system.

The Sawyer Sweeze or Mini with an ordinary .99 bottled water water bottle works very well. I have two such bottled water water bottles, if it is a long stretch of trail. I carry more water in the bladder, if hot weather.

It is my experience, it is easier to know how much water I have, using the bottled-water water bottles, which have the added advantage of availability for replacement when they get unacceptable.

I have never liked a drinking tube, until I found an interchangeable variety cap model sold.

The drinking tube is tubing available at hardware stores. I can replace the drinking tube often, with any bite valve that fits. However, I orefer no bite valve. I use a hose clamp (medical-type) to clamp off the hose, however, if flexible enough, bend it back thru the shoulder strap daisy-chain to clamp off the water.

Journal Entries
    Images

Taking the distance into consideration the plan is:
    Starting form Zealand Road trail head and head up to Zealand falls for the first night. (About 3 miles)
    Head to the Highland Center for a couple nights- is that cheating as the trail is not an official AT trail? Zealand Falls to Highland Center is 4-5 miles.
    From the Highland center I will take the venerable Crawford Path to Mizpah Springs Hut. I believe that to be another 4-5 mile day.
    As you mentioned( Slo-go'en) Mizpah to Lakes of the Clouds is not a long distance either. From there is is literally downhill one way or another.
    I am hiking for the joy of hiking and the beauty of the land which I hope to catch on camera every now and then.

Last year I walked for a bit around Mont Greylock. The dawn was so colorful and alive that it still gives me a smile to recall it. I'll try to post a picture form that trip.

Journal Entries
    Images

IMG_1777.jpgFrom mount Greylock

Journal Entries

Sue,
    You'll be following right after us. We're going south from Pinkham to Franconia July 1-10 (includes 2 travel days), so this was one of the questions on my mind. Thanks for bringing it up. We plan to stay at Highland Center when we cross the road at Crawford Notch, and we're not doing the outermost huts, Carter and whatever the other one is. As near as I can tell, our daily mileage will be under 8 miles each day, a "leisurely" pace for a strenuous trail.
    Beautiful Greylock picture, by the way.
    Hope you have a good time!

++ New Posts ++