WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hike near Hot Springs

My husband, son and I are hiking a 2-3 day section near Hot Springs on June 25. My parents are staying in Hot Springs and will be our shuttle. What is our best start/end point? I would like to experience Max Patch, and we don't necessarily have to end in Hot Springs. Just somewhere easily accessible for my parents to pick us up.
    Our first day will have to be a short hike because we will be getting a late start, as we are driving in from Jacksonville. Thanks for your time and suggestions! This is our first AT experience.

How many miles do you want to hike a day?

You could start in Hot Springs, hike 3.2 the first day south to Deer Park Mountain Shelter.

Then hike 9.9 miles to the Walnut Mountain Shelter the 2nd day.

Then hike about 7.5 to Max Patch and have your parents meet you there, so they could see Max Patch as well.

It would be more up hill this way than starting at Max Patch and hiking back to Hot Springs but your shelters would line up better going south.

Your only view would be Max Patch...

Journal Entries

My two sons, myself and my brother-in-law hiked from Standing Bear Hostel / I-40 to Hot Springs last weekend. About 35 miles, 2 nights on the trail and three days of hiking. You cross Match Pad, Bluff Men, which also has a bald. Standing Bear and Hot Springs are easy to find. Hot Springs had a Bluegrass Festival, craft show last weekend. That may keep the parents occupied while waiting! A word of caution: we had a bear at our tent site each night during the middle of the night. The second night a girl passed our site and she said she had to resupply as a result of a bear getting her bag and retuning for her cook set! Our two sites were approximately 9 and 25 miles south of Hot Springs. I never had an issue with bears at night until now. Looking to buying a bear spray canister . ($45at REI)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Bluebird View Post
    My two sons, myself and my brother-in-law hiked from Standing Bear Hostel / I-40 to Hot Springs last weekend. About 35 miles, 2 nights on the trail and three days of hiking. You cross Match Pad, Bluff Men, which also has a bald. Standing Bear and Hot Springs are easy to find. Hot Springs had a Bluegrass Festival, craft show last weekend. That may keep the parents occupied while waiting! A word of caution: we had a bear at our tent site each night during the middle of the night. The second night a girl passed our site and she said she had to resupply as a result of a bear getting her bag and retuning for her cook set! Our two sites were approximately 9 and 25 miles south of Hot Springs. I never had an issue with bears at night until now. Looking to buying a bear spray canister . ($45at REI)
    That's Max Patch and Bluff Mountain. Spell check caught me!

Thank you! I hadn't thought about hiking south into Hot Springs/Max Patch. I wonder if starting near the fire tower at Rich Mountain would be feasible? For the short first day.
    I want to look forward to this, but I'm scared of bears!! Haha!

I would think it would really depend on how many miles you want to do per day. Max Patch to Hot Springs is around 12-13 miles if i recall and there are some nice campsites in between.

I recommend Northbound as it's a nice descent into Hot Springs.

I am going to do this route, coming in late as well, and just camp on top of Max Patch the first night. I have seen the sunset on top and looking forward to a sunrise! Night two will be around Lemon Gap at 6 miles or so.

Have fun - it's a beautiful area.

Starting at the Rich Mountain fire tower is definitely doable....and a nice idea. There was a significant forest fire a month or so ago in that area but the forest service road is open again.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbjohnson View Post
    My husband, son and I are hiking a 2-3 day section near Hot Springs on June 25. My parents are staying in Hot Springs and will be our shuttle. What is our best start/end point? I would like to experience Max Patch, and we don't necessarily have to end in Hot Springs. Just somewhere easily accessible for my parents to pick us up.
    Our first day will have to be a short hike because we will be getting a late start, as we are driving in from Jacksonville. Thanks for your time and suggestions! This is our first AT experience.
    How did the hike go?

I'd love an update on how the hike went and how was water? I'm going to continue sectioning from Hot Springs north in the next couple of weeks

++ New Posts ++