WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Alcohol

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I chose to stay at Woodchuck's two nights for my zero, because they have no drinking, and a 10:00 quiet time, and I really wanted/needed a good night's sleep. That said, once I arrived, I kind of wanted a beer myself, and had to walk to a restaurant to get one.

How about drinking until a set time, or just having a staff member around to enforce a quiet time? It's always those same three people at the campfire who get louder and louder as it gets late and they get drunker or higher. I actually enjoy some raucous laughter and noise in the evening, however, I also want to know that it will end at some specific time so I can finally sleep. Nothing is worse than 15 minutes of quiet at midnight, finally drifting off to sleep and having some drunken idiots suddenly start up the noise again.

People are going to drink/smoke/vape pretty much no matter what you do. I've found that the more professional and attentive the hostel owner was, the better behaved the guests were. It's your place, run it how you like.

It's not a problem until that one night when it becomes a problem.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I chose to stay at Woodchuck's two nights for my zero, because they have no drinking, and a 10:00 quiet time, and I really wanted/needed a good night's sleep. That said, once I arrived, I kind of wanted a beer myself, and had to walk to a restaurant to get one.

How about drinking until a set time, or just having a staff member around to enforce a quiet time? It's always those same three people at the campfire who get louder and louder as it gets late and they get drunker or higher. I actually enjoy some raucous laughter and noise in the evening, however, I also want to know that it will end at some specific time so I can finally sleep. Nothing is worse than 15 minutes of quiet at midnight, finally drifting off to sleep and having some drunken idiots suddenly start up the noise again.

People are going to drink/smoke/vape pretty much no matter what you do. I've found that the more professional and attentive the hostel owner was, the better behaved the guests were. It's your place, run it how you like.
    Worst nights sleep I ever had on the AT was because of some Harvard students who stayed awake all night in the Bigelows. I wanted to strangle somebody. The AT through hikers who were staying at the same tent site also were not amused. We talked about how raucous the students were and how very little sleep we had. I was firtunate though, since I had a ride at Flagstaff Lake, to go home. Those hikers who planned on walking to Pleasant pond 23 miles later must have really been suffering.

When you have complete control of any alcohol brought into your hostel you can control when, where and how it is consumed. A two beer limit or an equal amount of wine should be sufficient- if more is needed - go else where remembering you won't be allowed back in if you're sloppy drunk. Also I think a 10 PM curfew is very reasonable - passing names of problem guest to other hostels is another good idea. There is little if any profit to be made running an AT hostel - if selling a couple of beers or glass of wine helps the bottom line I would think the licensing hassle might be worth it. You are there to assist hikers not partiers - a cold beer or glass of wine is often needed on the trail. I don't trust teetotalers anyway!

Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jbbweeks View Post
    When you have complete control of any alcohol brought into your hostel you can control when, where and how it is consumed. A two beer limit or an equal amount of wine should be sufficient- if more is needed - go else where remembering you won't be allowed back in if you're sloppy drunk. Also I think a 10 PM curfew is very reasonable - passing names of problem guest to other hostels is another good idea. There is little if any profit to be made running an AT hostel - if selling a couple of beers or glass of wine helps the bottom line I would think the licensing hassle might be worth it. You are there to assist hikers not partiers - a cold beer or glass of wine is often needed on the trail. I don't trust teetotalers anyway!

Tapatalk
    you can't just see beer at hostels

I envision a hostel that brews & serves its own beer & bottles its own wine on a very small scale - legally! As soon as I hit the lottery there will be just that!

Tapatalk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I envision a hostel that brews & serves its own beer & bottles its own wine on a very small scale - legally! As soon as I hit the lottery there will be just that!

Tapatalk
    Wasn't that sort of establishment originally called a Public House, from which the modern term Pub is derived?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Tapatalk
    Might be onto something there

I like to drink and am fine with a no alcohol policy. It's easy enough to find somewhere to drink a 6 that you bought in town.

Images

I like hostels that allow "drinking in moderation" because I like to crack open a cold beer from time to time. However, I'm never put off by hostels that don't allow drinking- I'm perfectly happy to go out for a burger and a beer elsewhere. I also understand that it must get out of hand and be really annoying to deal with, so I've never had a problem with hostels that don't allow drinking on site.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

If you wanted to make your hostel a combination of the two (not directed at you, Larry, but anyone interested in general) and you have a little bit of private land, I would instate a "drinking outside in moderation only" rule, and if you have neighbors, instate a quiet hour as well.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

but if you don't allow alcohol.. you are more likely to lose the customers you don't want (the immature rowdy partying college age kids!) while keeping more of the customers you do want!

My $.02.
    I've been on a few large group outings over 100 people. With diverse groups of people the best arrangement I saw was a family friendly area(no smoking, drinking, foul language, political talk or off jokes). Then a trouble makers corner for the rest of us. People would start the evening socializing in the family area the break off as the night pressed on.

No complaining from the masses about each other. Worked great.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I like hostels that allow "drinking in moderation" because I like to crack open a cold beer from time to time. However, I'm never put off by hostels that don't allow drinking- I'm perfectly happy to go out for a burger and a beer elsewhere. I also understand that it must get out of hand and be really annoying to deal with, so I've never had a problem with hostels that don't allow drinking on site.
    You and I can agree with your statement - but even where its socially acceptable, to imbibe, unfortunately a few ruin it for everyone. I have been to "backwoods" campouts where folks were putting out moonshine and everyone behaved as they knew they had to deal with each other in the morning. I had a great time. On a separate occasion, when a few "passing thru" hikers not BP, who you will never see again keep you up till three am with drunken hollering, there clearly is some difference.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

To me the drinking in moderation is fine with me. The real problem is what to do with the drunken, or stoned fools stumbling into your hostel late and keeping people awake with their idiocy. Getting thrown out of a hostel at 1:00 am would not be a plessant experience.
    Good Luck!

Journal Entries
    Images

Too many of my friends have died from it. Seen a lot of bad nothing good from its use. Lot worse than Pot. I avoid both these days.

I don't trust teetotalers anyway!

Tapatalk
    i always laugh when I here this one. So let me get this straight, you would trust me if I were drinking...are you freakin' nuts!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry #1 View Post
    I own Crazy Larry's Hostel in Damascus, VA. Since day 1 of opening my door I have been alcohol friendly. Through the years though I have toned it down a notch to where it is more manageable.

What is your opinion as hikers, is alcohol friendly or unfriendly an issue when choosing to stay at a hostel?
    I think it works well over at Top of GA where it's posted no alcohol/drugs on the premises. That sign caused everyone to keep things low-key on the grounds (beers in nalgenes and cups) and ventured to a fire pit a bit away from the hostel to have burn downs or drink casually. I don't want smokers or drunks ruining my or anyone else's experience. Having said that, I stayed at a few places where alcohol was fully allowed (NOC, Budget Inn) and there were no issues.

There's also that incident at the Doyle where the hiker got thrown out for being drunk and problematic and then got hit by a train an hour later.

If I had a choice, I'd probably choose the "unfriendly" hostel, as I don't drink - and being the sober person trying to sleep while some of the drinkers struggle with their volume control... well, it's frustrating. And that's the best case scenario, not getting into the rowdy or obnoxious types.

I like what Rush just said - if it's posted "no alcohol / drugs on premises" people will probably still do it, but keep it low key - which I don't have a problem with.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++