WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Alcohol

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

No Alcohol.
    Many bad things about it.
    No good things about it.
    Just creates needless problems.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    If you wanted to make your hostel a combination of the two (not directed at you, Larry, but anyone interested in general) and you have a little bit of private land, I would instate a "drinking outside in moderation only" rule, and if you have neighbors, instate a quiet hour as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    but if you don't allow alcohol.. you are more likely to lose the customers you don't want (the immature rowdy partying college age kids!) while keeping more of the customers you do want!
    That's a good idea about drinking outside, I have actually thought about that and I think I will do that for a bit. Smoking is already outside so group the drinking right with it. Thanks for the input ShelterLeopard!

And David I really do think you are right. We're going to see how drinking outside does for a bit but I am leaning towards no alcohol at all.

My policy right now is beer allowed and pot smoking but you got to be discreet about it. No hard wine like Mad Dog 20/20 and no whiskey at all along with no hard drugs. However I have caught folks doing all those things and occasionally I have sent them on their way but for the most part I excuse it if they are not acting up and handling themselves well. That reminds me I caught a guy one time shooting heroin, I did not boot him but he left after listening to me for an hour talk to him about God..... After he left I could not help from laughing at the look he had on his face.

Ask Lone Wolf, there was one time I would not allow any of it around me but things change. My concern right now is not so much for me but I now have a lady in my life that is becoming a part of this and when she is here I have to watch out for her well being, plus I live here. The idea of having my own place is undo-able right now but that is what I am shooting for.

Thanks for the input folks, keep it coming. Hope to meet some of you......

Journal Entries
    Images

I'd stay at your place whether you were dry or whether you allowed alcohol. I do drink, but I don't get drunk. I don't get silly. I don't start fights or sing off key at the top of my voice at three in the morning. I enjoy a couple cold beers if the occasion seems fitting. Too bad some people abuse it or have problems with self control, or just like the out of control feeling of being wasted. I never liked it there the few times I got there in my life. Its just stupid. Serve or don't serve, friend. You'll still get my business.

I'm an alcoholic, and I understand the beast. I do not have an off switch. Most people can do moderation. I am not an obnoxious drunk. Some people are. Allowing moderation is good. Just keep the backdoor open to throw out the XXXholes who come in past lights out. No tolerance!!

C'mon beer drinkers of 'Merica ....get out and vote..This is one of the more pressing issues of our time. Could be the most important vote you cast this year! Let's not be overrun by teetotalers!... Make the AT great again!

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    if it's posted "no alcohol / drugs on premises" people will probably still do it, but keep it low key - which I don't have a problem with.
    no alcohol or drugs on the property means just that. i called the cops on many hikers at The Place for blatantly ignoring the 10 signs posted all over the property

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    no alcohol or drugs on the property means just that. i called the cops on many hikers at The Place for blatantly ignoring the 10 signs posted all over the property
    You'd think the sign that said "church" would be enough for them to show at least a bit of respect there.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Several years ago while on a section hike with my stepson we stopped at church hostel in Pearisburg. Despit the signs a hiker came in with a six pack. I like to drink, yet I detest people that break rules. It saddens me that many hostels are shut down due to the disrespect of a few hikers over simple rules. I't pretty easy to have a few beers someplace else & come quietly back to a hostel or seek other lodging.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You'd think the sign that said "church" would be enough for them to show at least a bit of respect there.
    nah. i'd make a 11PM appearance in the common room and they'd be drinkin' right next to the signs. i'd tell 'em they had a few minutes to get TFO while calling the cops. they'd get all apologetic. whatever

98% of thru-hikers can't read English, and the other 2per cent 'll swear to it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by notbad View Post
    C'mon beer drinkers of 'Merica ....get out and vote..This is one of the more pressing issues of our time. Could be the most important vote you cast this year! Let's not be overrun by teetotalers!... Make the AT great again!
    If you have hats made that says that make sure they are not made in China please!

Journal Entries
    Images

That was a damn mess over there, I helped too with that

279.6 Miler (Tanyard Gap) CamelMan's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    No Alcohol.
    Many bad things about it.
    No good things about it.
    Just creates needless problems.
    Demon alcohol... Sad memories I can't recall... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea-MVgC_jz4
    Last edited by CamelMan; 06-25-2016 at 12:34.

If you don't know what moderation is, then you deserve the consequences. Myself included.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry #1 View Post
    Help me vote here folks...........

You are in a town where there are options for hikers who want to drink. They don't need to drink right on your premises. So, what harm is there in declaring your place no-alcohol or even no drugs in fact?

If they get wasted elsewhere and return looking to cause problems, you'd be within your rights to evict them. With the help of others or even the police.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    You are in a town where there are options for hikers who want to drink. They don't need to drink right on your premises. So, what harm is there in declaring your place no-alcohol or even no drugs in fact?

If they get wasted elsewhere and return looking to cause problems, you'd be within your rights to evict them. With the help of others or even the police.
    I am not at this point going to do away with the alcohol. As you know I am a writer and at this point I am gathering information on an article I am going to write about this topic

Lettem Drink! They get rowdy, kickem out
    Trail Miles: 5,125.9
    AT Map 1: Completed 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: Completed 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: Completed 23-24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(16.8%)
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Lettem Drink! They get rowdy, kickem out
    Very seldom have I had to kick someone down the trail even with bad behavior, it usually calms down if I have to say something. I've had more responsible drinkers than any irresponsible ones. If I cut out the drinking it will only be because I don't drink

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++