WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What are ways to cut corners financially for gear?

I am doing a 2 month section hike of the PCT. August and September. Thus far I have been pretty adamant about not cutting corners for the big 4:

Tarptent SS1
    Zpacks Solo Bag
    ULA Circuit
    Neoair Xlite

But for other things I really would like to try and save. For example, instead of getting a $200 rainjacket I may just do cheap Frog Toggs since I won't see too much rain anyways..

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Shop the used gear here at WhiteBlaze. Shop thrift stores where you live. Craig's list even.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    I am doing a 2 month section hike of the PCT. August and September. Thus far I have been pretty adamant about not cutting corners for the big 4:

Tarptent SS1
    Zpacks Solo Bag
    ULA Circuit
    Neoair Xlite

But for other things I really would like to try and save. For example, instead of getting a $200 rainjacket I may just do cheap Frog Toggs since I won't see too much rain anyways..

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
    Fast............

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Fast............
    You mean starve, right? Food isn't gear.

My suggestion is just buy whatever is cheap after your big 4. Its not going to matter because it will be worn out when you get through.

It's a financial.

Registered Offender

...But for other things I really would like to try and save. For example, instead of getting a $200 rainjacket I may just do cheap Frog Toggs since I won't see too much rain anyways..Does anyone have thoughts on this?
    It's easier than you think. I've done every one of my long hikes on a budget (on purpose; thankfully money isn't tight) that would have most the so-called experts here cringe. Plenty of others also have, and you often meet them out there, particularly the younger crowd. Hiking is not expensive! But I don't know what the thrift stores are like in St. Augustine, and I doubt, for example, they'll have decent jackets.

You'll almost certainly need a replacement pair of shoes; look for them first. If you don't need 'em, or don't think you will, all the better. Clothing is typically a no-brainer for conditions out west, especially during that time of year. You don't need much. Frog Toggs is a good choice, and you'll likely see others carrying/wearing them. Buy their "suit" and you've got both the pants and the jacket, as well as rain protection AND mosquito protection (if it's required; depends on where you're hiking; it's buggy in the Sierra this year and is only going to get worse).

Fleecy clothing could be necessary (again, depending on where you'll be), as might be a thicker insulating jacket. You probably have most everything you need, if you delve deep enough, but it could be worth making your own alcohol stove (cheap, light, effective) and using a plastic/lexan spoon instead of aluminum or titanium ($$$). Think this way and you'll be okay. I've done everyone of my hikes (PCT, AT, etc) on the cheap (much cheaper than I'm told I could survive on, in fact), because I look at it as another part of the challenge, and it allows me more and more such trips.

Tell us some specifics (where you'll be on the PCT) and ask some specifics, and you'll get clearer responses.

Might seem basic, but while you're out there, stay on the trail. For every day you spend in town for resupply, zero, whatever the excuse, you're going to spend 5 to 10 times the amount you would if you spent that day on the trail. Minimize your town stops, get your resupply and get back out on the trail. Plan your town stops so you are back on the trail by the afternoon...once the sun starts to go down it will be very tempting to just stay in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    It's easier than you think. I've done every one of my long hikes on a budget (on purpose; thankfully money isn't tight) that would have most the so-called experts here cringe. Plenty of others also have, and you often meet them out there, particularly the younger crowd. Hiking is not expensive! But I don't know what the thrift stores are like in St. Augustine, and I doubt, for example, they'll have decent jackets.

You'll almost certainly need a replacement pair of shoes; look for them first. If you don't need 'em, or don't think you will, all the better. Clothing is typically a no-brainer for conditions out west, especially during that time of year. You don't need much. Frog Toggs is a good choice, and you'll likely see others carrying/wearing them. Buy their "suit" and you've got both the pants and the jacket, as well as rain protection AND mosquito protection (if it's required; depends on where you're hiking; it's buggy in the Sierra this year and is only going to get worse).

Fleecy clothing could be necessary (again, depending on where you'll be), as might be a thicker insulating jacket. You probably have most everything you need, if you delve deep enough, but it could be worth making your own alcohol stove (cheap, light, effective) and using a plastic/lexan spoon instead of aluminum or titanium ($$$). Think this way and you'll be okay. I've done everyone of my hikes (PCT, AT, etc) on the cheap (much cheaper than I'm told I could survive on, in fact), because I look at it as another part of the challenge, and it allows me more and more such trips.

Tell us some specifics (where you'll be on the PCT) and ask some specifics, and you'll get clearer responses.
    Wonderful info.. I start south of Lake Tahoe and possinly end at Crater Lake late September..

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Might seem basic, but while you're out there, stay on the trail. For every day you spend in town for resupply, zero, whatever the excuse, you're going to spend 5 to 10 times the amount you would if you spent that day on the trail. Minimize your town stops, get your resupply and get back out on the trail. Plan your town stops so you are back on the trail by the afternoon...once the sun starts to go down it will be very tempting to just stay in town.
    Im sure it all depends, but what is an average walk into town like? 2, 3 miles from the trail?

Registered Offender

Wonderful info.. I start south of Lake Tahoe and possinly end at Crater Lake late September..
    Mosquitoes won't be too bad for most that stretch, save for the start (it's mostly a dry stretch you're doing, and forest fires will be the bigger possibility). But the Frog Toggs can work in this manner, as a cheap, chemical-free repellent. I use cheapy thrift store wind pants and windbreaker, as they're lighter and cheaper than even the Frog Toggs. I treat them with a six-dollar can of water-repellent spray (found at Wal-Mart) if rain is going to be an issue. On that stretch it's usually not, and I think you come to see just how dry it is out west. Sunscreen is imperative, along with a good sun-hat or bandana underneath a visor. Sun exposure is pretty constant on the PCT!

You're going to love that stretch! Walking up to the view of Crater Lake gives you a MUCH deeper appreciation for it than does driving to its rim. I hope you make it there!

Like Uriah's take.

You personally will likely never to rarely wear a rain jacket or Frogg Toggs in that dry PCT stretch during the proposed hiking time of yr. Get yourself a cheapy light wt more breathable wind jacket but with a good DWR perhaps at a Goodwill or Thrift store. Layer underneath that. If it rains expect to get damp.

Trail runners!

Do you REALLY NEED a NeoAir Xlite? $$$ There are way less expensive alternatives! If adamant but a used one.

Used ZP sleeping bags come online pretty regularly. Try www.lwhiker and ZP's bargain bin. Here on WB alone is a long shot scoring one IMO. I just saw some minor imperfection ZP bags in the Bargain Bin. Enlightened Equipment and Feathered Friends has Bargain Bins as well.

It's the PCT too. In that PCT stretch not a boatload of alluring off trail towns to spend bookooh bucks after Truckee CA. I suppose anyone could find ways to spend frivolously though.

After initial gear outlay the biggest costs will be buying food. Figure out how to save on food as you're gearing up. Practice cooking and eating those meals at home if you plan on cooking.

You're doing it right by splurging on the big four. That's where you will find the biggest weight savings and thus in my opinion the best return for your money
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Journal Entries
    Images

Post What I've found helped

Buy clothing at thrift stores, where they price items by what they are (shirt, pants, hat) instead of material (cotton, polyester, wool, silk -- it's all the same). I've gotten shirts made of wool and of silk for $5.

If you can find exactly what you're looking for there, check military surplus stores. Again, I've found wool pants for $10.

Check out clearance sales at online stores like
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/
    https://www.campmor.com/
    http://www.duluthtrading.com/
    I've found Gore-tex{R} jackets for $60

Get on the e-mail list for stores like EMS and REI. In exchange for getting a weekly e-mail reminding me of stuff on sale, I'll periodically get a coupon code for dollars off any item. So if you find $25 item that has a clearance price of $12, and apply your $10 coupon along with free shipping; you get a $25 item for $2.

I've also found that a lot of stuff sold in vacuum-sealed aluminum packs costs a LOT more than the same item (pretty much) sold in bulk at a local grocery, which you then pack in a plastic zipper bag.

I've made my own soda-can alcohol stoves for about a $1, but I recognize this isn't for everyone.
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 06-13-2016 at 10:53.

Dry PCT section. August-September. Alcohol stove. Really? You won't know if it's a bad idea until it is too late.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

A few people over on Reddit/r/Ultralight have posted links to gear guides that focus on budget gear.

There are even "knock-offs" coming out of China and sold on sites like GearBest, AliExpress, even Amazon that could save some coin. Heck, they even make knock-offs of Big Agnes tents that are weight competitive...and hundreds of dollars less.

I mostly buy mainstream gear but a few things I've bought:

A knock off of a Sea-to-Summit Aeros inflatable pillow $25 off the original. (reviewed well).

The BRS-3000T Hornet titanium LPG stove, for quick weekend trips. ($12 stove that does as well as a $60 MSR Micro Rocket)

Here are a few links of interest:

Full discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/WildernessB...ltracheap_and/

...which links to this lighter pack list: https://lighterpack.com/r/776crf

O2 Rainwear

My experience: I combined old clothes, and made purchases only for a synthetic insulated vest, shoes, and a rain parka, at first.

I take pride in my gear, nevertheless, avoiding "dirtbagging" because I like to hike in popular areas for internationals so I don't have to do as much foreign travel to meet people.

I purchased one item from Sierra Trading Post. I got a coupon, and Sierra Trading Post let me combine coupons so I got a great price on my next purchase. EMS has big sales. Even Patagonia has sales.

This is why it is worth giving online business, you like, your email.

It helps keep from having to look at everything at their really big websites.

Look at the forums. Look at gearlists.

Ask questions. Then, I search for best price.

Allow time for returns or exchange. One brand label fits small, another too big, no matter what the size chart has for measurements, for example, I find Mountain Hardware doesn't fit me one size up or down, it is cut for a different shape body than me. Another brand fits.

The only way is to find out.

I also DIY, then, make the purchase so my gear is well made and durable if I am not up to that skill level. This helps keep me from spending before I know that will work well for me, for example, the tarp dimensions are too narrow for the coverage I want. The other tarp is right for me.
    Last edited by Connie; 06-12-2016 at 20:48.

Images
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Garlic
    Images

Sign up at SteepandCheap.com for good deals every once in a while. I got my Marmot Helium bag there for under $200.

Marmots go on sale pretty often, so do Gossamer Gear packs. Sign up for their emails, too.

My entire AT kit, including the aforementioned Helium bag and GG pack, Tarptent Contrail and a nice Marmot down vest cost about $850 and weighed less than ten pounds. UL does not have to be expensive.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Dry PCT section. August-September. Alcohol stove. Really? You won't know if it's a bad idea until it is too late. Wayne Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    The title of this thread is 'What are the ways to cut corners financially for gear?' An alcohol is one such way. An even less expensive way to heat food is via a small campfire, a riskier idea yet. The middle name's Dangerous. :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++