WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Te Araroa Trail somethings to get ready for.

After spending 15 months in NZ and hiking sections of the TA I thought others would like to know about somethings to get ready for. Well at least your mind ready. 1 Mud, mud and more mud. Some places make Vermont look dusty. 2. Learn to use gps. many thru's I have met joke on how many times they have gotten lost or how many km they have gone out of their way because they missed a turn. 3. Please be aware that almost every track in NZ is blazed with orange triangles inc the TA though it sometimes has while poles. It is easy to get confused. Pink or blue triangles or ribbons can lead to animal traps or poisons. 4. You will be walking through paddocks where cows and sheep are, at first it is a bit nerve racking when a herd of cows comes walking towards you or blocks your way. 5 Road walking and a lot of it compared to the AT. 6) It is really easy to hitchhike here. 7) Most people are kind to hikers.
    8) NZ customs are very strict about what comes into the country, while we brought in our poles, boots and bags and packs we made sure they were very clean. Also you have to declare them. 9) Gorse, wonderful thorny stuff that came over from the UK and spread everywhere, it will rip you up. 10) Sandflies )blackflies that are in season 365 days a year. 11) Cool cheap huts that have bunks, cooking areas, mattresses and wood stoves. You can get a hut pass from DOC. We love it Enjoy

Thanks for your information on the TA! It looks like a great place to do a second thru-hike! I just completed the AT in October. Looks like an easier hike than the PCT. Is that true? My biggest fear is being lost due to poor signage or poor navigational skills. More insights would be helpful.

Thanks!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tengo Hambre View Post
    Thanks for your information on the TA! It looks like a great place to do a second thru-hike! I just completed the AT in October. Looks like an easier hike than the PCT. Is that true? My biggest fear is being lost due to poor signage or poor navigational skills. More insights would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Not sure if you listen to The Trail Show podcast, but two of the show's hosts, Disco and P.O.D. hiked the Te Araroa last year and did two episodes about it. They did not describe it as being easy.

http://thetrailshow.com/the-trail-sh...ealand-part-1/

http://thetrailshow.podomatic.com/rss2.xml
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

One of my favorite hiking bloggers just started. This one is on my (very long) bucket list as well.

Check out her blog:

https://serialnomad.com

It's on the list to do

Thanks for the information, I listened to part 1 this morning and thought it was a great "intro" for what to expect. I look forward to the second episode describing the South Island. Now I have to check out Buck 30 as well!

Erin Saver (aka “Wired”) posts detailed blogs of her long trail hikes. Here is a link to her blog on her TA hike.

http://walkingwithwired.com/ta-201617

Thanks, how timely!

Thanks, looks like she is starting a great adventure!

++ New Posts ++