WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paul's Boots

I went to a screening of this last night in DC. REI sponsored it and the $5 entry fee was donated to the ATC. Pretty good deal considering that it included free beer, wine & soft drinks, as well as free popcorn. They also raffled off 3 REI Flash 18 packs and an Osprey pack (everyone in attendance got a free raffle ticket). One of the filmmakers and a few of the folks who carried Paul's Boots (including the The Real Hiking Viking) were on hand for a Q&A afterwards. The theater was packed and the movie was very touching. I was heartened to see a few folks who brought their children in the audience.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Didn't advertise that, probably would have gone.very cool indeed

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Didn't advertise that, probably would have gone.very cool indeed
    It was offered through REI - they sent the invitations out via email in late September. So you would've needed to be an REI member with a valid email address on file with them (and have not opted-out of emails from them) to receive it.
    REI has been really stepping up their game in the DC area, in promotion of their new flagship opening in the old Uline Arena this month, so they've been hosting lots of cool events like gear swaps and meet and greets at Wundergarten.

There are also some other cool organizations in the DC area worth looking into if you enjoy films/talks about the outdoors:

DC Adventure Films - they host about 5 or so film screenings a year, usually in Arlington. They also do an annual film festival in early fall. Check out their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/DCAdventureFilms/

The North Face - I used to dismiss TNF because, well, it's The North Face. But if you sign up as a VIPeak member (it's free), you'll get on their mailing list for their speaker series and other events, usually featuring TNF Athletes (Alex Honnold, Emily Harrington, etc.). Last year, they even hosted a special screening of "Meru" with a Q&A session with the filmmakers and a free cocktail reception afterwards. VIPeak members usually get discounted admission (and tickets are usually less than $10). And through their Mountain Athletics program, they even offer outdoor group training 2x a week - for free!

https://www.thenorthface.com/vipeak-rewards.html
    https://www.thenorthface.com/get-out...er-series.html
    https://www.thenorthface.com/get-out...-training.html

Mappy Hour DC - Every month, Mappy Hour hosts a gathering in DC where folks get together and talk about their upcoming adventures. Usually, there is a "main speaker" (tonight's event features Subaru's Traveling Leave No Trace trainers), but it's really just about connecting with other outdoorsy folks. The North Face has started to co-sponsor these events, which is nice because they offer free rides to/from their Georgetown store via LYFT, food and drink from local caterers, and sometimes raffles and free stuff. https://www.facebook.com/mappyhour/

National Geographic Live - Nat Geo offers a speaker series (one in winter, one in spring/summer) which brings world class explorers like Conrad Anker and Jimmy Chin to DC. Their tickets are a little pricier (like $25-30) and some events, like their Banff Film Festival Tour in Jan/February sell out quickly.

That's awesome info!! I am a member and a former employee. Definitely knew of the event and didn't realize cast and crew, let alone snacks and booze was a part of it, but no big deal!! Big love to them for making such a great story come to life! Super exciting to watch and share nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    That's awesome info!! I am a member and a former employee. Definitely knew of the event and didn't realize cast and crew, let alone snacks and booze was a part of it, but no big deal!! Big love to them for making such a great story come to life! Super exciting to watch and share nonetheless
    Cool! I used to work in the Bailey's Crossroads store ... from about 2004-2009 or so. If I could figure out a way to work at REI full time and still have enough $$$ to live comfortably, I would.

Wow that's interesting, thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++