WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It really is best to try all methods.

I started out using nothing, graduated to Iodine tablets after a gawd-awful intestinal bout with something (never got a culture test so I don't know what), then to various MSR and Katahdyn filters, then to Platypus Gravity works, and then AM. And I also have a Steripen Classic 3 that I am now trying out. In a way, learning about water treatment methods is similar to learning about various kinds of stoves and becoming "fluent" with each kind of fuel. It is not wasted time, money or effort if you learn something from it, or if it prepares you to use a system you don't normally use.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I really don't understand your snarkiness. We are trying to present facts to someone who wants to know facts.

Or maybe you missed LNJ's sentence above, "I will look for lighter weight, also dependable, options going forward."
    its the wussification that chaps my nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    No need to worry about snarkiness. It's not my first day on WB. Its all part of the charm.
    exactly!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    Nice! But for those who care not about weight... the Lifestraw was super easy.
    No need to worry about snarkiness. It's not my first day on WB. Its all part of the charm.
    Easy until it plugs up or freezes and is ruined
    Why do you think many take chem as backup too?

Yeah, you can spill or leak AM, or run out. Backup is....nothing. which is all you need most of time on AT.

so, use what like. 99% of time just unnecessary.
    Odds are good flying without a net, regardless if method.As long as dont do it all the time.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-08-2016 at 13:52.

1 of bottles of Aqua Mira weighs less than a piece of Halloween candy.

I carried a Sawyer Squeeze with a few Katahdin tablets as backup. This worked best for me because I liked to "camel" at water stops -- I would drink a liter or more using the 1 L bag, then if concerned about the distance to the next water source, would squirt a filtered pint or liter into a bottle, or carry the bag for filtering later. For me, average backpack weight was likely lower by using the Sawyer.

Taking a break at a water stop is not a good idea in some locations, especially during black fly season, and I rarely would rest during the hiking day anyway. So getting a liter of water per stop using chemicals for me would mean carrying that liter of water (2.2 lb) on my back until it was purified. If I wanted 2 L or more of water per stop, that would mean even more weight.

One reason NOT to use my preferred method is if you plan to hike in cold temperatures -- you need to keep the ceramic filter from freezing, so you often need to keep the filter in your sleeping bag, or even in your pocket on really cold days. You also need to clean/treat the filter to prevent mold/mildew. YMMV
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Easy until it plugs up or freezes and is ruined
    Why do you think many take chem as backup too?

Yeah, you can spill or leak AM, or run out. Backup is....nothing. which is all you need most of time on AT.

so, use what like. 99% of time just unnecessary.
    Odds are good flying without a net, regardless if method.As long as dont do it all the time.
    Wonder where you got your name?? LOL! I think I will probably go with AM in the future. We did have Potable Water tablets with us as back up and we did use them once, when the water was running but a bit mirky. I believe I will continue to go safer than sorry. I don't even drink tap water at home so... Can't trust those few hikers that don't know or care to practice the distance setting for urination and other gross stuff, like bathing and such. For some odd reason, the thought of possible bear pee near my water doesn't freak me out nearly as much as drinking dirty hiker bath water does.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    1 of bottles of Aqua Mira weighs less than a piece of Halloween candy.
    Yep! There just went a pound or two from my pack!
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

i just leave my shoe laces at home, I save 4 grams, and bring the extra bottle, but hey, whatever floatest tho boat.
    What's your point here? I'm not suggesting a way to save the weight of Aquamira, but a way to make it work better on the trail. If you have a real suggestion to make, go for it. As it is, it really comes across as if you're trolling the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Just keep in mind that when you do hit the ground, it hurts. Giardia really is miserable. I'm on my last day of metronidazole right now, and I really, really, wish I'd treated that water when I had the chance. Clearly I chose that stream poorly.

I hope this time, this dose, gets it: I had a year-and-a-half before a public health clinic got the dose right to knock it out. I got it at City College, San Francisco, CA end of the day "food coach" for a night school class.

I have had good success reading a water source, and taking the appropriate measures.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Just keep in mind that when you do hit the ground, it hurts. Giardia really is miserable. I'm on my last day of metronidazole right now, and I really, really, wish I'd treated that water when I had the chance. Clearly I chose that stream poorly.
    Well, a lot of people, up to 20% of US population actually have it

Up to 2/3 who get it, are asymptomatic

So, to some people its a big deal
    To others, never will be

Possibly for MOST, it will never be based on asymptomatic statistics

Those lucky ones dont have to treat water at all

Wouldnt it be nice to know if you were one of those?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-08-2016 at 17:07.

There is still cryptosporidium, the Sawyer Squeeze does protect against.

What's your point here? I'm not suggesting a way to save the weight of Aquamira, but a way to make it work better on the trail. If you have a real suggestion to make, go for it. As it is, it really comes across as if you're trolling the thread.
    okay, to the point!...It's ridiculous! The weight savings of a tiny bottle that needs to be measured on a sophisticated scale that to 8 places in order to save pack weight is cra cra, at best. It will not break your back or allow you to hike faster further, it's just freaking nutso! Period. Ya wanna save weight, pick a lighter pack, shelter, sleeping bag, or maybe consider going stoveless. We've gone from traditional 40-50 lbs loads in 35 years, what the heck is the difference between say 34 pounds and 28 pounds (besides 6lbs.) it barley registers on an adult back.

Journal Entries

okay, to the point!...It's ridiculous! The weight savings of a tiny bottle that needs to be measured on a sophisticated scale that to 8 places in order to save pack weight is cra cra, at best. It will not break your back or allow you to hike faster further, it's just freaking nutso! Period. Ya wanna save weight, pick a lighter pack, shelter, sleeping bag, or maybe consider going stoveless. We've gone from traditional 40-50 lbs loads in 35 years, what the heck is the difference between say 34 pounds and 28 pounds (besides 6lbs.) it barley registers on an adult back.
    Its the idea of bringing only what you need, and nothing more, if applied, that allows you to get the pack wt down very low.

The wt isnt important, the attitude is.

I can cite the wt of every item in my pack from memory

such as:

xlite short - 7.6 oz
    li AAA battery - 0.27 oz
    fleece beanie - 0.95 oz
    #64 rubber band - 0.04 oz
    tealight cup - 0.07 oz
    mini bic = 0.38 oz
    my own AM bottles - 1.14 oz full for 2 wks
    garbage ziplock 0.3 oz
    etc.

With the right attitude, the weight takes care of itself.
    All those little fractional oz add up to lbs, cause theres a bunch of them when you list them all.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-08-2016 at 20:08.

Also, what weight savings is he referring to? I'm suggesing adding a tiny bottle to make your life easier and more efficient, not leaving one behind.

Journal Entries

PI suppose relative to a heavier filter or something.

I like AM because I grab water and go. I might carry water a lot because , I just do. not uncommon for me to carry 2L for 5-10 miles without taking a sip, but Im half mile down trail before most have gotten their filter out and filled their bottles. different hiking styles. my pack is light enough that I generally dont care.

This is why I like my base pack wt to be low, cause I dont worry about food or water wt. Its still light enough regardless. It not to win a contest, or set a record, its to always be ....comfortable...while knocking out miles desired.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-08-2016 at 20:37.

Sounds about right. I carry 1.5,but drink from it regularly. To me, the benefit you mentioned of just dipping the bottle, dripping some aquamira in, and walking on is worth its weight in gold. Like youyou said, another half mile before the filter goes back in everyone else's pack.

Journal Entries

Sounds about right. I carry 1.5,but drink from it regularly. To me, the benefit you mentioned of just dipping the bottle, dripping some aquamira in, and walking on is worth its weight in gold. Like youyou said, another half mile before the filter goes back in everyone else's pack.
    Works great with reasonably clean water

On the CDT (aka Cow Dung Trail), id also have a filter for the occassional nasty source.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-08-2016 at 20:31.

Sure, different situation, different set of tools.

Haven't read the whole thread. Potable Aqua and similar chemical treatments wont make clear water out of muddy water. A filter will. Plus, with the P.A., you have to wait for a while, a half hour or so.

Granted -- muddy water will quickly clog most filters, so it's not all roses.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++