WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How to create online map showing each day's progress

I don't want to create a blog or anything outward facing. I just want to have an online map on which I can add some kind of marker for each night's stay. That way, at the end of the hike, I can have a map that shows what was hiked each day and where each night's stay was. Do you know of any online program, or even something I could purchase online? Thank you.

Delorme Inreach may do the trick. Or any GPS really could do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I have a confession, though. My daughter is the one hiking; I'm stuck at home, but she's sending me periodic text updates, and I'd like to create a map at home so I can follow her progress and give it to her when she finishes. Any suggestions for a couch-cartographer?

If she can send you he coordinates every night you could mark it on a AT wall map. I have one that is about 4' long. Got it from Mt Washington souvenir shop, but think they are available many places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd use google earth as you can download the trail's shelters and then mark waypoints and save.

https://productforums.google.com/for...ed/gNCJlfMejXM
    Because I found a home in haunts which others scorned, the partial wood-gods granted me the freedom of their state, and chiefest prize found I true liberty, the home of homes plain dealing Nature gave

Caltopo could work, too

Journal Entries
    Images

Google My Maps can easily do this. You'll be creating the markers and route lines manually. If you have a device that can export a .GPX or other supported formats, you can upload it as a layer to your map or a segment to an existing layer.

Here's the tool:
    https://www.google.com/maps/

Here's an example:
    http://www.quackquackcolorado.com/cdt-progress-map/

Images

You could buy a thru-hiker's guidebook, or the AT Databook, and use a highlighter to mark the place she stays each night.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default Scribbles Thru Hike

I created a web site that tracked my wife's thru hike. I am a programmer so I was able to handle the technical part of doing this. You are welcome to look at the source code on the site and see if you can use it. http://smithwick.biz/Scribbles.html
    StopsALot

We used an app called FollowMe on her iphone to send me GPS info.
    StopsALot

My hike doesn't start until April 2017. I have an Android phone. I have downloaded an app called to send My GPS Location which gives Latitude and Longitude of your current location. It uses the phone GPS to get your location and allows you text or email the data to whomever you want. The beauty of the app is that it sends a link that the receiver clicks on or touches and it launches Google Maps with the exact location. I have tested it a little and it works well. I will continue testing on my practice hikes this fall. It is a free app! The only downside is the availability of the phone signal when you want to send the data. I hear Verizon has the best signal strength on the trail and I will probably be switching to them from Sprint by the end of the year. Hope this is of some help.

When I hiked the CDT, I used a SPOT device, or rather, a GPS that included SPOT functionality. I pushed the "I'm here" (or whatever" button at every lunch break and at every stop for the night, plus occasionally in trail towns I think.

Postholer.com made it easy to automatically populate a map with the results in my trail journal. To see what this looks like, you could look at my 2011 journal, here:
    http://www.postholer.com/journal/Con...le-Crown/18997

At the bottom of the inset section at the upper left, click on the "continental divide trail map". You can scroll around and zoom in and out to see where I was. If you zoom in and hover your mouse over one of the yellow 'S' points, the date and time is shown.

Very easy, and pretty slick. I mostly brought a SPOT along on that trip as I hiked much of it alone, and it seemed like a good idea. But I did appreciate having a breadcrumb record like this as a side bonus.

Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by Smithwick View Post
    I created a web site that tracked my wife's thru hike. I am a programmer so I was able to handle the technical part of doing this. You are welcome to look at the source code on the site and see if you can use it. http://smithwick.biz/Scribbles.html
    That's really cool. Is this open sourced somewhere?

++ New Posts ++