WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kindle or Books on the PCT

I am having some adjustment issues to a Kindle...and am really thinking of returning it and saving my money.

I am pretty sure I only want to bring 3 books anyways. Which would total to maybe 3-4 pounds.

3-4 pounds of books is completely unreasonable...isn't it?

Yes, hike my own hike. But something tells me 3-4 pounds of books is totally not a good idea.

Any feedback from anyone that has experienced similar dilemma?

Thank you WB!

Serial Hiker
    Images

Is your Kindle the Paperwhite? They look cool.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    Is your Kindle the Paperwhite? They look cool.
    Yes it is. It is definitely very nifty..

But I am attached to the romance of visceral book. Also I really do not need to store 1k books on it. That would just spread myself thin.

But yes, pretty cool product. Not hating on it by any means.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Have you done a long-distance hike? Unless you are an assiduous reader (reading on breaks, over meals, etc.), you will probably find that during your first several weeks you will be too tired to read much. Plus, unless you are hiking alone, you will probably be talking to your hiking friends, etc. on breaks or in camp. Once you get in shape and are moving fast, you will be hiking until near dark almost every night. That doesn't leave much time for reading either.

I started carrying a book with me about halfway through the trail. I never carried more than 1 book at a time, and I usually ripped it into sections and kept the extra parts in a bounce box. One paperback book or a ripped up portion thereof is going to weigh way less than 3-4 pounds. And there are bookstores (Tahoe, Ashland, Mt. Shasta come to mind--I'm sure there are more) along the way, or you can order online and have them sent.

If, for some reason, you are wedded to the idea of carrying 3 books with you, then it's time to get a divorce from that idea. There's just no point in carrying that much extra weight.

Serial Hiker
    Images

I know what you mean about preferring an actual book, but the weight issue sucks. Think of it as another piece of gear. Use it only for trips. Does your library system lend out ebooks?
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Have you done a long-distance hike? Unless you are an assiduous reader (reading on breaks, over meals, etc.), you will probably find that during your first several weeks you will be too tired to read much. Plus, unless you are hiking alone, you will probably be talking to your hiking friends, etc. on breaks or in camp. Once you get in shape and are moving fast, you will be hiking until near dark almost every night. That doesn't leave much time for reading either.

I started carrying a book with me about halfway through the trail. I never carried more than 1 book at a time, and I usually ripped it into sections and kept the extra parts in a bounce box. One paperback book or a ripped up portion thereof is going to weigh way less than 3-4 pounds. And there are bookstores (Tahoe, Ashland, Mt. Shasta come to mind--I'm sure there are more) along the way, or you can order online and have them sent.

If, for some reason, you are wedded to the idea of carrying 3 books with you, then it's time to get a divorce from that idea. There's just no point in carrying that much extra weight.
    I will be hiking alone. I will be taking my time reasonably so. But yeah. 3-4 pounds is a lot.

My plan is to definitely carry Sierra Plant Identification book equaling 1 lb. I can put it on a Kindle...but it just isn't that great without color.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    I will be hiking alone. I will be taking my time reasonably so. But yeah. 3-4 pounds is a lot.

My plan is to definitely carry Sierra Plant Identification book equaling 1 lb. I can put it on a Kindle...but it just isn't that great without color.
    Got a smartphone? You can view the book in the Kindle app.

Anyway, I didn't realize you meant field guides. Well, maybe you can get away with smaller versions. I carried the "Pacific Coast Tree Finder" which was pocket-sized and had all the trees on the PCT (though I sent it home around Tahoe because I was spending all day hiking and very little time looking up trees). That same company makes a number of pocket-sized guides.

Another option is to take a lot of pictures and then look up plants when you're in town.

BTW, someday someone will come up with an app that uses simple keys (like the ones in Newcomb's Wildflower Guide, i.e. the greatest field guide ever) to let you look up plants. Maybe there already is one--I haven't checked.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Got a smartphone? You can view the book in the Kindle app.

Anyway, I didn't realize you meant field guides. Well, maybe you can get away with smaller versions. I carried the "Pacific Coast Tree Finder" which was pocket-sized and had all the trees on the PCT (though I sent it home around Tahoe because I was spending all day hiking and very little time looking up trees). That same company makes a number of pocket-sized guides.

Another option is to take a lot of pictures and then look up plants when you're in town.

BTW, someday someone will come up with an app that uses simple keys (like the ones in Newcomb's Wildflower Guide, i.e. the greatest field guide ever) to let you look up plants. Maybe there already is one--I haven't checked.
    Maybe just two paper back books...no Kindle. Kindle weighs I believe 9 oz anyways.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I had the Steve Jobs biography hardcover strapped to the top of my pack from PA->NJ, but other than that relied on the Android Kindle app as reading was my wind-down activity in camp.

There was a certain joy to taking a break and reading a real book during the day. It can't hurt to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    I had the Steve Jobs biography hardcover strapped to the top of my pack from PA->NJ, but other than that relied on the Android Kindle app as reading was my wind-down activity in camp.

There was a certain joy to taking a break and reading a real book during the day. It can't hurt to try it!
    I am returning the Kindle... and just bearing the bit of extra weight. I am going pretty damn light all things considered.

Hike your own hike...

Journal Entries
    Images

I carry a Kindle Paperwhite, and I love it. I'm one of those guys who also appreciates holding a real book, but the Paperwhite isn't difficult to adjust to. Deliberately read a couple of books on it to get used to it before taking it in your pack, you may see what I mean, you may not...each person is different. What is great about the Paperwhite is that you can put it in a Ziplock bag and with a couple taps to adjust screen brightness, be reading in any conditions. Rained in for a day at the shelter or in your tent? Instant entertainment.

I carry paperwhite too. Even when I'm tired and don't read a lot, I still might read for 15 min before bed or even in the middle of the night if someone is snoring in the shelter. The back light (lack of need for a head lamp to read) makes it very easy
    The charge lasts me forever.

Some hikes I just use the kindle app. depends how much I think I'm going to ready

Images

Like most of you, I prefer "real" books, as well. Then I discovered that quite of few of the camping, woodcraft and hiking books from the late 1800's to say, the 40's, that I collect, are often available free in Kindle, but either unobtainable or "need to take a second mortgage" expensive. So many good free books out there in Kindle!

I still prefer real books, even if the wife is grumbling about the space they take up. I have a real library in the house (that useless formal living room), but also bookcases in every room. Including the second bath, which is really a brewery that happens to have an odd shaped yeast trub disposal unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Like most of you, I prefer "real" books, as well. Then I discovered that quite of few of the camping, woodcraft and hiking books from the late 1800's to say, the 40's, that I collect, are often available free in Kindle, but either unobtainable or "need to take a second mortgage" expensive. So many good free books out there in Kindle!

I still prefer real books, even if the wife is grumbling about the space they take up. I have a real library in the house (that useless formal living room), but also bookcases in every room. Including the second bath, which is really a brewery that happens to have an odd shaped yeast trub disposal unit.
    Hm... Tallahassee, something tells me you may be a frequent customer of Fermentation Lounge (I graduated from FSU 4 years ago)

Images

Guilty as charged!

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Guilty as charged!
    Awesome. Have you done any of the PCT before?

Images

Sorry, no. Did a lot of the Resurrection Trail up on the Kenai Peninsula, long ago, if that counts. Been stuck down here in Florida longer than I would have expected, but still managed to do 388 miles of the AT (so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    I am having some adjustment issues to a Kindle...and am really thinking of returning it and saving my money.

I am pretty sure I only want to bring 3 books anyways. Which would total to maybe 3-4 pounds.

3-4 pounds of books is completely unreasonable...isn't it?

Yes, hike my own hike. But something tells me 3-4 pounds of books is totally not a good idea.

Any feedback from anyone that has experienced similar dilemma?

Thank you WB!
    I carry an iPhone with the Kindle App and usually have 60 or so weightless books to chose from. Would never carry paper books in my pack. WAY too heavy.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I looked at the Paperwhite and the Nook Glowlight Plus because of this thread.

I already have an iPod Touch, that has the Kindle app. I would rather carry an Ancor, or similiar, external battery charger of equal or less weight than a Paperwhite or the Nook Glowlight Plus.

I do think I would like to have one or the other for reading, at home. If they had a screenreader that would be ideal. The fact is, the iPod Touch has tiny print on a small display screen, and so, I do not have the same enjoyment of reading a book.

Of course, an actual book has a feel nothing replaces.

The fact is, I just don't read that much.

I save my reading for "Montana Winter".

Hiking, I guess I only read 2 or three pages and I am ready for sleep.

In fact, I would rather look at the stars or muse about my day, than read.

I appreciate this discussion thread. I was not aware of so many different readers for Kindle books.

++ New Posts ++