WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Hiker boxes

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I wonder how many people have attached themselves as an indentured servant to someone else who wants to hike the trail. Is that even possible? I would bet that a lot of retirees who would love to thru-hike, don't do so because they can't convince anyone to go with them. All other things considered, what would be the appropriateness of offering companion hiker services to such a person, on the only condition that they buy the food. Stranger arrangements have been made. The "indentured" person's role could be to not abandon their companion. Maybe that person has to make and break camp every day in return for the food. Obviously this could go awry if their personalities wound up being incompatible, and that could easily end the hike...but what do y'alls think of that sort of arrangement? It sounds a bit parasitic on the face of it, but if there was a fair exchange of goods and services, maybe not so much.
    Hmm... interesting idea. Sort of like a cross between a Sherpa and a hippie.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I wonder how many people have attached themselves as an indentured servant to someone else who wants to hike the trail. Is that even possible? I would bet that a lot of retirees who would love to thru-hike, don't do so because they can't convince anyone to go with them. All other things considered, what would be the appropriateness of offering companion hiker services to such a person, on the only condition that they buy the food. Stranger arrangements have been made. The "indentured" person's role could be to not abandon their companion. Maybe that person has to make and break camp every day in return for the food. Obviously this could go awry if their personalities wound up being incompatible, and that could easily end the hike...but what do y'alls think of that sort of arrangement? It sounds a bit parasitic on the face of it, but if there was a fair exchange of goods and services, maybe not so much.
    I think there was an ad on eBay a while back. A young man was offering himself as the Sherpa in exchange for expenses.

I would consider hiring a support person with vehicle (or to drive my vehicle), not necessarily a hiking companion. One of the big problems (for me) is I am unlikely willing to pay the same salary as I would likely wish to charge if someone else wanted a similar service from me. The other big problem is finding someone can put their life on hold for six months. In all likelihood I will hire a house sitter and ask/pay them to act as home base support also. Ship new footwear, exchange sleeping gear, etc.

Perhaps this should be moved to another thread.

The NOC is a good possibility to get a job, they were hiring alot pre-season (back in March) but, get on their website & take a look!?! They typically do not have work for stay here, but it never hurts to ask. Your best bet is prob Uncle Johnny's Hostel in Erwin, you can do work for stay & may be able to earn a few dollars as well. Keep a good attitude up... also, take a look in Hot Springs & Erwin, see if local landscaping companies, ect need a few days work? Its that time of the year!
    BEST!
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

Thank-you ! I called the noc and they said they had a few positions available so I'm pretty stoked !

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Which is great cuz I'll be there in 4 days and that's about how much food I have left

Awsome to hear!! see if they have something for short term... make enough to get to Damascus & see if you can find work there! Check every possibility! Remember, tehre is no "right" time to hike the AT... yes, some times are better for weather of course, but do it when YOU can, on your dime... keep the spirits up!
    "Reach Farther" ~ SOLACE

Im glad for you too. Do you have a trail journal?

No, I need one though !

Journal Entries
    Images

Sell Your phone and buy food

Hmmm... wonder how ski walker is doing.

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++