WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Question for Spot GPS and Delorme InReach owners?

SO, aside from a few minor additions to my gear, I'd like to get a Spot or Delorme InReach. I am well aware of the basic functionality of each. I currently use Backcountry Navigator (on my cell phone) to track my route, mark waypoints, and export that info to Google Earth.

What I want to be able to do with a new device is just that- EXPORT the data from each trip to a .kml file so I can upload to Google Earth.

Have any of you owners tried this?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

I don't know about inReach, but with SPOT the track info is downloadable from your account info as kml or gpx files — NOT from the SPOT device itself, however. Of course, when in tracking mode the waypoints will be 5 or 10 minutes apart, depending upon which option you choose (which can be done with a SPOT phone app), and of course it reduces the life of the batteries. Also, BCN for tracking on a cellphone will very quickly drain the battery. If having a track is really important, best to go with something like an Etrex 20 with tracking set to "least often", or use the SPOT and carry extra batteries. With SPOT you can also set up a link that your family/friends can use to follow your progress. (No doubt possible with inReach, too)
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-28-2016 at 11:13.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I don't know about inReach, but with SPOT the track info is downloadable from your account info as kml or gpx files — NOT from the SPOT device itself, however. Of course, when in tracking mode the waypoints will be 5 or 10 minutes apart, depending upon which option you choose (which can be done with a SPOT phone app), and of course it reduces the life of the batteries. Also, BCN for tracking on a cellphone will very quickly drain the battery. If having a track is really important, best to go with something like an Etrex 20 with tracking set to "least often", or use the SPOT and carry extra batteries. With SPOT you can also set up a link that your family/friends can use to follow your progress. (No doubt possible with inReach, too)
    This was exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I know all too well about BCN draining the battery, but it's important enough to me to have it, which is why I bring a battery pack. I also think I'd rather export & download from the device itself and be able to mark waypoints. I think if I had a SPOT, I'd still end up using BCN for that anyway. The reason I asked about the two specific models was the "SOS" feature.

Well fortunately I've no experience with the SOS and hope not to. There is also the "helping hand" button which notifies whomever you designate that you need assistance, without triggering a full-blown SAR. Mine is a Gen3 and has never failed to deliver the OK and Custom messages.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-28-2016 at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    SO, aside from a few minor additions to my gear, I'd like to get a Spot or Delorme InReach. I am well aware of the basic functionality of each. I currently use Backcountry Navigator (on my cell phone) to track my route, mark waypoints, and export that info to Google Earth.

What I want to be able to do with a new device is just that- EXPORT the data from each trip to a .kml file so I can upload to Google Earth.

Have any of you owners tried this?
    I am an InReach user. I have not exported to a .kml file because that would be redundant. The tracking feature sends everything to a Delorme Map that can be viewed online, just like Google Earth.

I was a Spot user for years, but switched to InReach because InReach both sends and receives. A Spot only sends. For the tracking feature, they are identical, but when you need the SOS feature, the two way communication is really important.

The only time I have needed the SOS feature was in the Grand Canyon. I was in the Clear Creek area of the Grand Canyon when a member of my hiking party collapsed due to heat exhaustion. I attempted to use the SOS function of my Spot to call for help. Help never came. When I got back to a Ranger Station, I learned that the SOS call never got out.

In all fairness, an InReach might not have gotten out either, but I would have known it didn't get out because on an InReach one will receiver a confirmation that the SOS message was received. It is also possible on the InReach to tell the nature or one's emergency and the kind of help that is needed.

Not to leave anyone hanging -- my emergency was resolved without help. I was able to revive the hiker and he was able to hike out the next day.
    Shutterbug

Do these kml files allow you to add photos?

I have seen tracks of bicycle trips with photos.

I would like to do that for hiking, to share the hike with friends and family.

Journal Entries
    Images

HERES WHAT MADE MY DECISION ON THE INREACH!!!!! Spot GPS and Inreach are basically the same. However with the Spot you HAVE to pay a yearly service. And I have heard of some people having to cancel thier CCs just to get the billing stopped. Bad customer service.

The Inreach is a monthly based plan. I turned on my service for a AT April hike then turned off the service when done. I just turned it back on as I'm starting a section hike in June. Just my two cents worth.

As I section hiker, I export track from my SPOT into a single google map for each state. No cheating here...

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    HERES WHAT MADE MY DECISION ON THE INREACH!!!!! Spot GPS and Inreach are basically the same. However with the Spot you HAVE to pay a yearly service. And I have heard of some people having to cancel thier CCs just to get the billing stopped. Bad customer service.

The Inreach is a monthly based plan. I turned on my service for a AT April hike then turned off the service when done. I just turned it back on as I'm starting a section hike in June. Just my two cents worth.
    I looked at the InReach and SPOT and wound up going with the SPOT since I had no need for texting (wanted to get away from it!) and their service plans were significantly higher than SPOTs. DeLorme had just come out with the turn on/turn off plans when I was deciding, but once I did the math, they were a lot less impressive that at first glance. When deciding, you need to analyse your usage carefully before you make your decision. The monthly charges on the DeLorme Freedom Plans get very expensive pretty quickly. The closest DeLorme plan to the standard SPOT plan is their Recreation Plan (lowest cost plan with no per track point charge). The DeLorme Recreation plan with the Freedom (turn on/turn off) option is $35/month vs a SPOT annual plan at $149/year. So, if you are going to use it for more than 4 months per year (the Freedom activation term looks to be a minimum of one month service per activation) , the cost difference is negligible. I like having the annual plan since it allows me to use it even for short solo day hikes. I never had a problem with billing or customer service, although I never needed to cancel. I had read some of the early anecdotes about billing so I just put it on my American Express because of all the bank cards I have, I found that Amex has the best problem resolution by far. (Cancelling a credit card does nothing to stop/erase charges. All that does is get them sent to a collections agency.)

So, do the math. If your are looking to use it a couple of times per year, then maybe renting the device is better. The other big unknown with DeLorme is what will happen to their already expensive service plans once the integration with their new owner, Garmin, is completed. I'm a big fan of Garmin devices, but given the way they handle their cartography services for teir devices (expensive and difficult to impossible to use third party open source maps), hold on to you wallet.

Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure where your getting your info from. I'm paying $14.99 a month for Inreach with text. I don't use text so that's not an issue. $14.99 a month is great so my family can see my progress. To each his own. I'm a I reach guy

I would be curious on opinions on the convergence of smartphones, gps, and SOS hardware. Garmin bought DeLorme which leads me to believe the DeLorme hardware platform is dead, their software is far behind Garmin. Smartphones are in the hands of billions, the gps apps are numerous.

Can satellite communications be far behind?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    Not sure where your getting your info from. I'm paying $14.99 a month for Inreach with text. I don't use text so that's not an issue. $14.99 a month is great so my family can see my progress. To each his own. I'm a I reach guy
    http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php

You're on the Freedom Safety plan which has no included tracking (tracking on this plan is $0.10/point). The $34.95 I quoted is the Freedom Recreation plan which includes tracking and thus is comparable to the SPOT plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I would be curious on opinions on the convergence of smartphones, gps, and SOS hardware. Garmin bought DeLorme which leads me to believe the DeLorme hardware platform is dead, their software is far behind Garmin. Smartphones are in the hands of billions, the gps apps are numerous.

Can satellite communications be far behind?
    DeLorme already has a phone app. You can literally send a text message from your cell phone at the North Pole if you wanted to (though the device itself has been fine for my uses).

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I've brought a (rented) SPOT on exactly one trip - a solo Northville-Placid thru-hike. That was to "ensure domestic tranquility." My wife slept better knowing I was still moving.

Ordinarily, I use BackCountry Navigator for tracking. I find that I can get a full day of track recording out of my phone as long as the phone stays in airplane mode and I don't light the display more than once or twice an hour. I carry a battery pack that's about the form factor and weight of a brick for recharging, so I can go about five days without needing to suck at the electrical teat. Since I use BCN more for track recording than for navigation (which I do with a paper map, a magnetic compass, and a barometric altimeter), not looking at it very often is fine with me.

I carry a real PLB for emergency signaling, when I'm solo, or bushwhacking, or in winter.

With that combination, I don't have much use for a SPOT or InReach (or for a standalone GPS for that matter). My wife is getting used to the idea of, "if my PLB isn't lit, I'm OK."

Your mileage will no doubt vary - my hiking style is, I concede, unusual.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php

You're on the Freedom Safety plan which has no included tracking (tracking on this plan is $0.10/point). The $34.95 I quoted is the Freedom Recreation plan which includes tracking and thus is comparable to the SPOT plan.
    Its not comparable to a Spot, because that InReach plan will also allow you to send/receive 40 text messages free of charge, and also allow friends and family the ability to "ping" your location an unlimited number of times, and of course the tracking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hmm, all good points. I think I'm leaning toward the InReach. Now for the kicker- there's a red colored InReach unit and a yellow colored one. Who has which?

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Hmm, all good points. I think I'm leaning toward the InReach. Now for the kicker- there's a red colored InReach unit and a yellow colored one. Who has which?
    I have the Explorer (red). Just used it last week. Wife was able to get text from me that I was alive and view my progress. I think I had it plotting every hour. I didn't have to take my phone off airplane mode all five days.

It was for her peace of mind while I'm off in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am pondering an In Reach Explorer for all the reasons mentioned. DW thinks I'm nuts soloing in the woods. I think she's nuts mooning over horses. Toe-mah-toe, to-may-toe, life goes on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Pulled the trigger on an Explorer. DW not impressed. Oh well.
    First impression - heavier than it looks and smaller than I expected. Setup seem overly complex. The literature does not make the distinction between the cellphone app and the desktop/Web app clear.
    Took about a half hour to charge it to 100 on a USB port. Probably quicker on the 120 vac step down transformer plugged into the wall?
    Tomorrow I get back on the Internet and set up the subscription plan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    Do these kml files allow you to add photos?

I have seen tracks of bicycle trips with photos.

I would like to do that for hiking, to share the hike with friends and family.
    KML files are nothing more than the "track" of previous hiking data that supports you app once its downloaded. Photos are added later by a different program or app. Facebook is the most popular amongst relatives.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++