WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did that. Missing a step somewhere.
    DW says she got 3 messages this AM and the Map Share before.
    Says she doesn't see any way for 2-way communication. Brung out the Luddite in her😀.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I did that. Missing a step somewhere.
    DW says she got 3 messages this AM and the Map Share before.
    Says she doesn't see any way for 2-way communication. Brung out the Luddite in her.

When you click on the link from the message it brings up the map. On the right side of the screen there should be a box to reply to any messages sent. I helped my dad figure it out before I leave tomorrow for 6 days solo so that he knows how it works. He kept the first message I sent so he only has to pull that up to get the text box if he needs to get a hold of me.I'll only be turning it on at night when I camp for a quick check in, or in an emergency.

Also, on your account tab, scroll to the bottom where it says SMS Message Configuration. Check all three boxes. If you are sending Preset messages, make sure the Mapshare box is checked.

Thanks I'll look at both of those.

For practicing I'm going add my own email and SMS addresses.

When I look at InReach on my Android phone the link to reply to a Start message is there, on the bottom. DW has an iPhone. Anybody using that and can say where the link is on that screen?

Make that "Earthmate" on an Android.

Tried to add myself as SMS and Email addresses (syncing yhrough Eartmate). Didn't work. Hmm.
    I'll try again with an email address I seldom use.

It says here ...
    The Explorer Manual says that I can delete messages by selecting them in the "Message Page" and then Press Enter to Delete.
    Doesn't appear to work. Has this worked for anyone else?

I have noticed that my Explorer will not get and hold a reliable communication fix unless I set it on and aside for awhile, seem like 5 (or even as much as 10? (no I haven't timed it ... yet) ) minutes. I understand the paucity of Iridium satellite coverage but wasn't prepared for first hand encounters with it.
    That would explain some of the drop-outs I've seen.

I have noticed that my Explorer will not get and hold a reliable communication fix unless I set it on and aside for awhile, seem like 5 (or even as much as 10? (no I haven't timed it ... yet) ) minutes. I understand the paucity of Iridium satellite coverage but wasn't prepared for first hand encounters with it.

I just used mine for a 7 day excursion into the Wyoming wilderness. It picked up a satellite connection as soon as I turned it on. I only used it morning and evening for check-ins (and one emergency extraction message) and had no issues with it being accurate and sending a message within a minute or two.

I just used mine for a 7 day excursion into the Wyoming wilderness. It picked up a satellite connection as soon as I turned it on. I only used it morning and evening for check-ins (and one emergency extraction message) and had no issues with it being accurate and sending a message within a minute or two of it being turned on.

Huh, maybe waiting makes the time seem much longer. I noticed much the same thing when I got my Garmin GPS.

For those interested in renting the SPOT, take a look at Satellite Phone Solutions. I have no affiliation to them.. just found them while searching for rental options. Standard rental period is one week, and shipping time appears to be quicker. It includes fresh batteries, all standard functions, shipping to you for $15.95 (with return shipping optional), one week post rental to get it back to them and rental cost can be applied to the cost of purchase if you decide to do so. Total cost for a week of use is less than the three day rental from LowerGear, and they are on the east coast which is perfect for me.

Figured it out.
    Getting a (position) lock is quick enough. The Explorer is receiving.
    Hearing and seeing my inReach Explorer complete a 2-way communication with the Iridium satellite network - there's an audio "chirp" - is something else. That can take 3+ minutes.
    Price of progress.

Can someone comment on the battery life with an InReach device? Can you describe the usage level that is available based on the battery life you provide? What are their limits on text messages and GPS updates?

Thanks.

I expect, in September, on a 3 day AT hike I'll get 3 working days of life from a full charge.
    I'll turn in the Explorer about 8 on day # 1, send out my "Starting here" message with link and keep it on til 7-ish. Then repeat for day 2 and 3.
    I will be carrying a battery pack to recharge if I have too.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Can someone comment on the battery life with an InReach device? Can you describe the usage level that is available based on the battery life you provide? What are their limits on text messages and GPS updates?

Thanks.
    I just used my InReach Explorer on a 4 day/3 night hike. I kept it in tracking mode all of the time, but turned it off every night but one (I forgot to turn it off one night.). In addition to the tracking messages, I sent out about 20 messages and received 10. I still had about 15% charge at the end of the hike.

I carried a battery pack with the intention of recharging the InReach at night, but I failed to take the right charging cord.

The limits on text messages is based on your plan. I believe my plan is 45 a month. I have never needed that many. I am not sure what you mean by "GPS updates" but when paired with an iPhone one's GPS location is shown on the map all the time. It is constant. The only time I have noticed it updating is after I have passed through a heavily wooded area where GPS data was not available. As soon as I am in the clear, the GPS information appears again.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 08-21-2016 at 11:35.
    Shutterbug

Good to know, thanks Shutterbug.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++