WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

One thing that has caught me, twice now.
    It's difficult to turn this thing off! I have to "Power On" then select turn off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    Walked outside and turned on in Reach and cell.
    Airplane mode on the cell turns _off_ Bluetooth, the two, Android and iReach, will not communicate then.
    With both on and Bluetooth enabled I did not see the icon appearing on the cell that indicates that the GPS receiver was enabled. So the iReach was using only it's antennae.
    In a couple of weeks we'll be doing a social hike in BullCreek (a Florida WMA) so I'll be doing a full-on test then. Leaving it on and sending location data to DW. An acid test. Right at the moment everything seems straight forward and one charge _should_ (he said, navigationaly) last the 3 days I need just now.

I'm assuming you have already paired the 2 devices. (Phone, InReach)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, did that previously.

Also you have to turn on Bluetooth on the InReach in the settings screen. Default is off.

Enable has two options On or Off.

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    The InReach has its own GPS and doesn't need the phone unless connecting to it via Bluetooth. Which can be used in Airplane Mode.

I didn't buy the Explorer, just the SE. It needs to be connected to my phone so that I can see my location on the map on my phone in Earthmate.

Gotcha.

Just tested the map link in the email I sent to my dad with the Preset messages (they want to know where I stop for the night for safety reasons). Pretty accurate!

For the "default" Delorme InReach messages, I picked the "I'm starting here" and the "I'm stopping here" ones. I believe you can select three while logged on to the web site (remember to Sync if you change them). You can also send other messages, just a pain to type them into the device. Easier to pare with a smart phone and type those messages onto the phone.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Great article on some SPOT message recommendations.

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/spot-me...ons-protocols/

Skurka's reviews were the reason I went with the InReach vs Spot. I trust his opinions and reviews on a lot of things (also bought the trekking poles he suggested).

The nice thing about the preset messages is that you can change them before each trip if you want. For this trip I think I'm going with:

1. Stopping here for the night (with map/location)
    2. Delayed but doing fine (with map/location)
    3. Need help but not an emergency (with map/location)

I have been carrying my Explorer to and from work (20) miles. In the car it doesn't get a good signal lock. (No I'm not going to hang it out a window.)
    I have been seeing a signal lock in the office parking lot, half-way home and home. Hmmm. I'm doing this for practice - when I "need" it is not a good time to struggle with the interface.
    Of three trips only one was successfully recorded.
    The difference _may_ be that on the successful trip I let the unit get a solid lock before I moved the car.

Were it my brand new GPS, I'd have chose the pizza cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    I have been carrying my Explorer to and from work (20) miles. In the car it doesn't get a good signal lock. (No I'm not going to hang it out a window.)
    I have been seeing a signal lock in the office parking lot, half-way home and home. Hmmm. I'm doing this for practice - when I "need" it is not a good time to struggle with the interface.
    Of three trips only one was successfully recorded.
    The difference _may_ be that on the successful trip I let the unit get a solid lock before I moved the car.

In my experience the unit works best line of site. Unlike my 76stc which works well in heavy tree cover. Double check your interval settings on tracking and reporting.

I have had huge success with my mine so far. But I have the orange model. 19 days on the JMT, 200 miles on the FT and 2 section hikes on the AT.

Wife and I used the text messaging feature quite often on the JMT and the unit would send and receive messages best with a clear line of sight to the sky.

Best of luck.

Well I turned it in this morning and the track shows me (driving) leaving the house, going to the causeway bridge, then over the causeway (on foot) and back. Then thru the park, etc. Back in the car and south to breakfast. Then it picked up again after I left the diner and recorded until I reach ed house and turned it off. Wifie says she saw SMS messages from start and when I got back to car.
    Conclusion : worked this time, (corrallary) because it had a good lock on the system from when I got in the car.
    I was wondering - _IF_ the car windshield interfered with the signal lock. Now I believe as above.
    Tommorow's safari is around our subdivision and I should be able to observe the fuctioning and decide if I'm blowing or what.😊
    Still struggling with the messaging at the end. After I've chosen recipient(s) and message I expect to see a "Send now?" choice but I don't. Missing something, obviously😕.

If you have the phone paired and connected it's easiest to send a message that way.

If you are looking to share your track with someone via email/messaging that's done through tracking icon on the InReach. Use the share button and recipients email/phone number. I always select "MapShare" also when sending out the follow me link.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++