WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Its not comparable to a Spot, because that InReach plan will also allow you to send/receive 40 text messages free of charge, and also allow friends and family the ability to "ping" your location an unlimited number of times, and of course the tracking.
    Yes. it is. I compared the cheapest plans that include tracking since the OP was specifically asking about the ability to export track points. Texting is irrelevant to the comparison since the SPOT can't text (and the OP was not interested in text messaging...)

For comparison - InReach Explorer next to a Garmin GPSMAP 64s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Damm that key pad is small for my mitts.

So I go thru the set up. Add contacts and send a test to wifie.
    "Cool", she says.
    "Did the (map) link work for you?" I says.
    "What map link?"
    😕😕

I also went with the InReach because of the two-way communication in emergencies and the confirmation of SOS received notifications. Since I also hike solo a lot I also liked the ability to let my family know if I was running behind so they didn't alert SAR if it wasn't necessary. The monthly plan with the InReach and multiple negative stories about SPOT customer service/automatic billing/signals not being received(reliability) were the final deciding factors in my decision.

Hoping mine should be here by the beginning of next week so I can get it set up for my next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    So I go thru the set up. Add contacts and send a test to wifie.
    "Cool", she says.
    "Did the (map) link work for you?" I says.
    "What map link?"
    

If she didn't get the map link then something is set up incorrectly. There should be 2 links, in fact, one that links to a map on the Spot website and another that goes directly to google maps in case the link through Spot doesn't work or is blocked for some reason.

It wasn't that she didn't _receive_ the link.

Yes, that's why I said "map link".

Did you see the actual message, and perhaps she didn't recognize the link in the message that she was supposed to click?

Not trying to be insulting, just asking to clarify. My wife did something like this recently on something else that was totally unrelated, but quite similar...

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I also went with the InReach because of the two-way communication in emergencies and the confirmation of SOS received notifications. Since I also hike solo a lot I also liked the ability to let my family know if I was running behind so they didn't alert SAR if it wasn't necessary. The monthly plan with the InReach and multiple negative stories about SPOT customer service/automatic billing/signals not being received(reliability) were the final deciding factors in my decision.

Hoping mine should be here by the beginning of next week so I can get it set up for my next trip.
    I'm waiting to see what Garmin's acquisition of Delorme produces. 2-way could be nice in some places, but that's a hefty-sized unit compared to a Spot. In the meantime I'm quite satisfied with Spot (Gen3) never having had a single problem with it. There's an occasional 'Spot-sniper' on BPL who bases his complaints on experience with Spot Gen1, which from what I've read and from my own experiences is totally unjustified.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 07-27-2016 at 13:31.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I'm waiting to see what Garmin's acquisition of Delorme produces. 2-way could be nice in some places, but that's a hefty-sized unit compared to a Spot. In the meantime I'm quite satisfied with Spot (Gen3) never having had a single problem with it. There's an occasional 'Spot-sniper' on BPL who bases his complaints on experience with Spot Gen1, which from what I've read and from my own experiences is totally unjustified.
    According to Andrew Skurka's review of SPOT, InReach and satellite phones, the SPOT weighs in at around 4oz with the InReach models coming in at 7oz each...that's not a hefty difference. And in his pictures of them all side by side there isn't much size difference either:

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/plbs-sa...cons-my-picks/

plb-satellite-messenger-phone-top-view.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    According to Andrew Skurka's review of SPOT, InReach and satellite phones, the SPOT weighs in at around 4oz with the InReach models coming in at 7oz each...that's not a hefty difference. And in his pictures of them all side by side there isn't much size difference either:

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/plbs-sa...cons-my-picks/

plb-satellite-messenger-phone-top-view.jpg

Three ounces isn't much? You do realize that many posters on this board refuse to carry the weight of a full-length toothbrush handle, don't you?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Three ounces isn't much? You do realize that many posters on this board refuse to carry the weight of a full-length toothbrush handle, don't you?!?
    LOL, well in all fairness this isn't a UL thread, but to the truly committed (such as we) they all are!

I ditched my Nikon AW120 and use the excellent camera on my Samsung S5... and am hoping soon to move up to the S7. Saved another 7 ounces right there, and it's really fun learning how to get great photos with a cellphone cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    I'd rather carry the 3oz, personally, and have the options and peace of mind. We all choose where we make sacrifices for weight...and that isn't one of them.

That's what it's all about — I don't have to carry it so it's no concern of mine. I just mentioned it for someone who doesn't desire texting and might take weight into consideration.

The thing with Spot is that you can word your check-in, custom, and helping-hand messages such that they accurately reflect to the receiver(s) the level of alarm (or lack thereof) for your situation, or just hit the SOS if the poop seriously hits the fan. It's also worth it IMO with Spot to pay the couple extra bucks per month for the rescue insurance in case it's needed.

Wifie got the whole message, with a working link embedded. She just didn't bother accessing the map with the link. Holy navigating map person just why bother?
    (Exits stage right grumbling)

I set off total panic within the women of my family with me "heading out" (of any cell range) on a Solo hike in the Arkansas mountains. I got the InReach and after the trip, wife LOVED it. I was able to send her a "I'm starting here" and a "I'm Stopping Here" everyday. She was able to click the link and see where I was on a map. I set the thing to be sending like every 30 minutes on that trip and she even commented "I could even FOLLOW ALONG!". She would also send me a reply at night.
    I have since downgraded to the cheaper plan. But well worth it for piece of mind with the family back home (who count camping as "I can see a tree out of the hotel window").
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Used the InReach on a JMT thru hike and it worked like a charm. You can give people your user name and password and share your track "Mapshare" or you can send individual people email or text links.

The phone app via Bluetooth makes it easy to send messages. My wife and I sent about 200 of them back and forth. I used it to reschedule a Resupply coming in by packer service.

I have also used it on the AT. It works best when having a clear line of site (i.e. Fewer trees). I have also used it on the FT.

Setup sucks. My trail name was Tech Support because I help my buddy and several others with their InReach. But other times they called me Yogi.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Screen shot of the phone app used with the InReach

What kind of battery life were you getting with the Explorer?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++