WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ride from Amtrak station to amicalola falls?

Anyone els arriving at the amtrack station in gainsville Monday morning ?heading to amicalola falls ? If not, how much is a taxi or shuttle ?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Images

Taxi is around $100. Check with Hiker Hostel for the best deal (if you want to stop for a night before hiking), or Ron Brown for shuttle only.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I did the Hiker Hostel and it was great. For less than a taxi I got a ride from amtrak to the hostel (much nicer hostel than you'll find on the trail), trip to walmart to supply, and a ride to amicalola or springer the next morning. The hostel has a grill, great chance to pick up a steak before you hit the trail.

I called all around. Everyone is booked :/ my only option is taxi or hitch hiking

If you only have $200 to your name then stick that thumb out. You're going to need every penny you can save for the trail.

OkeefenokeeJoe

I didn't realize Amtrak ran so close to Springer. (Never looked). We have a station about 30 miles from my house. My wife and I may catch the train to Gainesville and get Ron to shuttle us to Springer, then from Unicoi back to Gainesville. It shows that it arrives in Gainesville around 9 pm, so we would have to stay the night around there. Any good spots to stay in Gainesville?

Quote Originally Posted by southernfire97 View Post
    I didn't realize Amtrak ran so close to Springer. (Never looked). We have a station about 30 miles from my house. My wife and I may catch the train to Gainesville and get Ron to shuttle us to Springer, then from Unicoi back to Gainesville. It shows that it arrives in Gainesville around 9 pm, so we would have to stay the night around there. Any good spots to stay in Gainesville?
    https://www.gainesville.org/places-to-stay do not stay at the Georgiana---not close and bad part of town Any of the others are OK for a quick overnight (Super 8 & Motel 6 maybe not so much!)

Journal Entries

Gainesville is a big place ,many major hotel chains. Not sure whats close to amtrak, Ive stayed at hampton and holiday inn there. Son used to play lacrosse tournament there in summer. Basically you know what to expect with these places.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-29-2016 at 15:59.

Is the train station in a bad part of town? I noticed its close to MLK Blvd

Journal Entries

Nothing a taxi ride cant fix Im sure.

Haha thanks

Not a 'bad' part...just a mostly vacant part at night. Do not walk from there as you will pass through sketchy parts. Take a taxi

Anyone arriving in Gainesville tomorrow morning ? Looking to split a taxi ride to amicaloa

++ New Posts ++