WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Mountain House does offer #10 tin cans of some entrees, With a vacuum sealer, they can be repackaged into individual meals. I found that paying extra for some freeze dried versus dehydrated vegetables is worth it particularly peas and corn.

Well I have tried quite a lot of different manufacturers, and I am sold on the Packit Gourmet food. I have it sent to australia and when I start the AT next year I will be having parcels sent along the trail. Enough variety for me and add some pita bread or tacos and I'm happy. I'll mix them up with some grocery items for a good balance. I don't actually like cooking on a bushwalk, just add water is the way I like to go.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Has anybody gone the route of buying #10 cans of various bulk items, and combining them with various spices and starches (potatoes/rice) and vacuum sealing those bags for use on the trail? I was considering doing this, combined with some dehydrated prep, for my training hikes. Go heavy on the protein and fats, if you do your dehydration of sauces right, and you should be OK. But I am guessing, since i have no practical experience in this as yet.

I have repackaged, from the start.
    I have one of the first vacuum packaging appliances for home use.
    I had The Well-Fed Backpacker, by June Fleming book for many years inspiring me to make the most of my backpacking food dollar.
    I try products I might like, identify the products I do like, and then, put it together.

Images

I suspect cost is the limiting factor. I think there are some great options in purchased freeze dried meals if you can afford them.

I have been using 'Packit Gourmet' out of Austin. Their Gumbo soup is just delicious, I have even cooked it up at home I think it is so good. The ingredients they use seem pretty straight forward and nutritious.

I just purchased some 'Paleo to go' for my next hike. I have not tried them yet, but if you are looking for more protein than carbs that looks like a good option.

I also like the 'Good to go' Thai Curry (available at REI). This is the only 'Good to go' I have tried, but it is also mighty tasty. I can live with a quick plain breakfast and lunch, but to celebrate the end of a long hard day I want a meal I am going to enjoy. If you can live with the cost some of the freeze dried meals I mentioned above are really satisfying.

I mix them in with some store bought items to average out the price. Couscous is my favorite quick cook base with some meat and spices mixed in, and if I am lucky a fresh caught trout on a bed of couscous makes a delicious inexpensive meal.

Journal Entries

Too expensive, good for a emergency meal (3 days to next resupply, the Mountain House is for day 4), also as you get used to resupply you can get similar weight savings shopping trail wisely.

I purchased freeze dried ingredients to augment what I dehydrated for myself at home from, Redwicks Preserves on FB. I experimented with the ingredients at home. I started with recipes from, www.thrueat.com using their weights and nutritional info and just kept building from there. I didn't get tired of the food I had in the three weeks I was out. I really looked forward to what I was going to cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinnin' about buyin' a freeze dryer for a couple grand, there way down in price.

I use expedition foods, freeze dried, very tasty and they have high calorie versions as well, just perfect.
    http://www.expeditionfoods.com

I also use my supermarket food list for hiking too
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...?usp=drive_web

Tacblades I don't recognize those brand names, where are you at in general? US, Canada?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Ah no in UK

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Images

FreeGoldRush,

I don't know if this would be practical for you, but check out Amazon.
    They sell a box of Mountain House (29 per box) for $69 (less than $2.50 each, much less than outfitters I imagine).
    You could plan the shipping to different mail boxes along the hike, and even do it as you go.
    Just give yourself 2 days for Prime shipping (which is free, so you would only pay the PO Box storage, which should still be a significant savings).

Just a thought.

For your second question, no clue.
    Though I will say that a healthy supply of Pemmican, though heavier, will pack WAY more bang for the buck.
    If you can stomach the same thing for 5-6 months, it's almost the perfect food.
    Just add a little salt and maybe honey.

Alex

Packit Gourmet will sell you dehydrated food you will look forward to eating. I'm trying some kind of Pace heat and go pack in the dehydrator right now.

Another upvote for PackIt Gourmet. Everything tastes like real food, and they include all the extras. Great people too.

A question for the Packit Gourmet fans:
    Is their food dehydrated or freeze-dried? How easily does the food rehydrate?
    Thanks for your help.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    A question for the Packit Gourmet fans:
    Is their food dehydrated or freeze-dried? How easily does the food rehydrate?
    The answer is they have both types, it depends on ingredient. I think all meats are freeze dried, but veggies could be either. If you go to their website, each meal lists its rehydration time. I've found their directions and times to be accurate.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I always take freeze dried meals, with other food items from grocery stores. Mountain House are my favorites. The packages say about 3 servings per package. Are they kidding? I eat one package and sometimes two. My favorite is Mexican style rice and chicken. Yummy. Even if you take freeze dried (which can be found all along the AT) it tends to be the base layer of the meal vs. the whole shooting match.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    The answer is they have both types, it depends on ingredient. I think all meats are freeze dried, but veggies could be either. If you go to their website, each meal lists its rehydration time. I've found their directions and times to be accurate.
    Thank you. I always try to support a local company.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++