WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 31 of 134 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 81 131 ... LastLast

I have a Senior Hiker theory --- and wonder if anyone knows if the area above & below the Carrabassett River crossing has been searched? Knowing how those of us "of a certain age" are schedule oriented, I believe Geraldine Largay hurried past Spaulding Mountain Lean to without stopping to sign the register and got to the Carrabassett River crossing at dusk --- seeing high water --- went to look for a "high water" crossing --- and slipped on the wet and slick rocks.

If anyone knows if that area --- not more than a couple Tenths of a mile on either side --- has been searched ---- Please PM me.

Thank you,
    Coosa

During my hike I've accidentally walked on the wrong trail at a juncture, it happens, it sure seems like that is, at least, a possibility worth checking all the way to the terminus. Ugg, this whole thing is stomach turning. All the trail reports I've read about hiking mt. Abraham's talk about its remoteness and don't expect to see others.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    So, why hasn't the mystery caller come forward??? I don't get that at all.
    HikerMom, because there was NO MYSTERY CALLER. That account has been discredited by the authorities after searching phone records.
    I've lived too long to care what others think about me

Quote Originally Posted by Mitey Mo View Post
    HikerMom, because there was NO MYSTERY CALLER. That account has been discredited by the authorities after searching phone records.
    That's probably true, but after reading the last really good detailed article, the one thing in my mind that I wonder about is all the phone records, including the phone records of that place in Stratton.

Quote Originally Posted by Mfrenchy View Post
    I disagree that there is no logical area to be checked, the search map that joshuasdad posted shows they searched the side trail to the summit of mt Abraham's. But, the whole east side was left I unsearched. It seems like no one has tried entry to the area from the way joshuasdad is going. There is logic in searching the whole mt. Abraham's trail, it is right where she was last seen, with a sign saying, Town is much closer if you go this way.
    Itis not logical that she would be on that trail. It is a 1.7 mile blue blaze over 2 barren boulder fields to get to the east side of Abraham. I respect her friends opinions that she would not do this. She would have been about a mile from the shelter when she made this choice. The junction is clearly marked. It is blue blazed. Even if she made the wrong turn, it would be obvious within seconds that she was on the wrong trail. The trail is very clear to Abraham. Her being on the east side of Abraham flies in the face of all we know about her. Again, I respect the opinions of her friends. They say she would not take a long blue blaze. I agree.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

All respect, but if everything was normal she'd not be missing. It's worth checking all possibilities without creating reasons not to look somewhere.

2010 complete

During my hike I've accidentally walked on the wrong trail at a juncture, it happens, it sure seems like that is, at least, a possibility worth checking all the way to the terminus. Ugg, this whole thing is stomach turning. All the trail reports I've read about hiking mt. Abraham's talk about its remoteness and don't expect to see others.
    If you take a wrong turn, you turn around and follow the trail back to the original trail. If she veered off the trail, it was intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitey Mo View Post
    Could you cite the source of that information?

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    I have a Senior Hiker theory --- and wonder if anyone knows if the area above & below the Carrabassett River crossing has been searched? Knowing how those of us "of a certain age" are schedule oriented, I believe Geraldine Largay hurried past Spaulding Mountain Lean to without stopping to sign the register and got to the Carrabassett River crossing at dusk --- seeing high water --- went to look for a "high water" crossing --- and slipped on the wet and slick rocks.

If anyone knows if that area --- not more than a couple Tenths of a mile on either side --- has been searched ---- Please PM me.

Thank you,
    Coosa
    if she had fallen in, she would have lost gear. none of her belongings have been found; therefore, i think that she is intact somewhere.

All respect, but if everything was normal she'd not be missing. It's worth checking all possibilities without creating reasons not to look somewhere.
    That I agree with. I am praying for success for joshuasdad. No effort is useless. I pray for his safety too. It can be confusing if you search off trail.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    If you take a wrong turn, you turn around and follow the trail back to the original trail. If she veered off the trail, it was intentional.
    True, worth a shot though.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    It can be confusing if you search off trail.
    I agree with this statement. while hiking a similar section, I hiked in on a side trail (without a trail map) and felt disoriented and anxious. It was such a relief when I stepped on the AT with the familiar blazes (also, without a trail map). note, i do carry the AT data book for landmarks, and a state map of the area.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    if she had fallen in, she would have lost gear. none of her belongings have been found; therefore, i think that she is intact somewhere.
    Additionally, if she was separated from her pack, animals would have strewn the contents over a wide area, i.e., what a raccoon or bear does to a garbage bag. Something would be found by dogs, searchers or even possibly seen from the air.

If she just continued to hike past Spaulding (going over the Crockers very tough hiking after a long day already) she would most likely have encountered SOBO's heading for Spaulding. How or why would she pass Spaulding late in the day and ignore/slip past the hikers already there or enroute to the LT. She is a very competent hiker at age 66, not a speed hiker.

All in all, the more facts I read about this mystery, the more I have come to appreciate why the searchers have done what they have. I would be up there today if I felt there was a logical place to search that has not already been scoured. It makes no sense that she would go up Abraham. It makes no sense that she would be abducted off the top of Lone Mountain. It makes no sense that she would get lost between Lone Mountain and Spaulding Leanto. It makes no sense that she would continue beyond there that day. It makes no sense that if she continued the next day that she would not have been seen at Spaulding. I cant imagine a place she could have fallen off the trail in the area she had to travel to Spaulding.

As EE has stated, it is baffling. That is the right word. I am shocked that she has not been found. I am sure there are many facts I do not know. It is that fact that keeps me hopeful.
    Birdbrain - - I also concur with you on all of those points. I 100% agree that she would not have diverted off the AT on a side trail – not for any reason. I’m just thinking like an older female hiking alone. I absolutely do not believe Gerry would have willingly left the AT.

One scenario none of us want to deal with is that she met with foul play. We think that logically, the top of a ridge in the middle of the Maine wilderness is not the spot someone would chose to harm someone. But, what if it wasn’t pre-meditated? What if that person, somehow, just ‘snapped’?

If that’s the case, then she could be relatively close to the trail. What if that person took her (or left her) further south of where she was last spotted on the way up Lone? A lot easier to move someone downhill than uphill!

Based on the original search map, with the exception of ingress/egress to the area, the US Naval Training property (somewhat SOBO by trail of Gerry’s last known whereabouts) has not been thoroughly searched, and definitely not grid searched. Could there be private property issues with the US Government regarding that?

Thoughts???
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Itis not logical that she would be on that trail.
    It's not logical that she is missing at all.

2010 complete

Bring her home Mainers!!! Today is the day.

Are there people still looking besides joshuasdad? All the news stories I've read are almost a week old.

Journal Entries
    Images

Are there people still looking besides joshuasdad? All the news stories I've read are almost a week old.
    There is a small group of Maine Wardens doing a search today.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

How high was the river crossing at that time?
    As an over 50 female hiker, I just cannot
    fathom her thinking of taking a side trail. Makes absolutely no sense.

Any news regarding her husband and his state of being at the moment?
    This whole ordeal is quite bothersome.

That's awesome! Any idea whereabouts?

Page 31 of 134 FirstFirst ... 21 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 41 81 131 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++