WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Geraldine Largay, "Inchworm" an experienced hiker, who had already conquered almost 1000 miles of trail including the very difficult white mountains. She was a nurse who served in the USAF. Her body with the exception of her hands and arms are discovered this past October more then two years after she went missing. Authorities at the time of the discovery of her remains conclude that Inchworm had died from exposure. More recently after the Medical Examinars report concluded she died in her tent in her sleeping bag 2,100' off of the AT. Not the 3,100 yards that was earlier reported. So the new conclusion is that she starved to death. Inchworm had the cognitive ability to make camp including a bedding made of pine branches she pitched her tent on. However, she apparently made no attempt to make herself more visible by getting her red coat some where it would become visible to air craft, or attempt to build a smokey fire that would have made her more visible. Does not Warren Doyle teach these things in the class that she attended? Starvation takes some time, and would of happened after weeks of searching had been concluded. So it is reasonable to believe she was already dead, or severely ill or she would of made herself visible to SAR. Perhaps her appendix ruptured. Perhaps she simply died in her sleep, like my father did, poison mushrooms, any number of things. What I find troubeling is that the authorities when the body was discovered knowing that she was found in her sleeping system, chose to conclude she died of exposure. Now after the information about her being found in her sleeping system the conclusion is starvation, while it could of been an array of other things. Why the reporting of 3,100 yards when it turns out that she was within a distance of just 2,100'? Our parents would call us home, from longer distances in our childhoods. Why were her hands and arms not found by k9? If there was evidence of foul play, defensive wounds might be found on her hands and arms. I do not recall hikers taking the energy, and negatively impacting the enviorenment by using pine branches for bedding.
    Last edited by Son Driven; 02-08-2016 at 20:44. Reason: grammer
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

++ New Posts ++