WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 92 of 134 FirstFirst ... 42 82 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 102 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2679
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I'm confused. A pile of bones, or a bones in a sleeping bag/tent?
    Hard to say - In the other thread, I posted a link to the Brentwood Homepage (out of Gerry's hometown). They report that she was found in her tent. Other places online, place her in her sleeping bag, in her tent. If you look at the picture taken at the lean-to, that pack doesn't look all that lightweight. If I had to guess, I would say she was carrying a sleeping bag and tent for in case of emergencies.

"The remains, found inside a tent in a rugged area about 600 yards west of the Appalachian Trail, are thought to be those of Geraldine Largay..."

That was from this link: http://www.brentwoodhomepage.com/mis...4#.ViL4AyuNAnI

At this point, who knows what is what...the reporters all seem to say different distances. The tent piece could be misinformation on the reporter's fault... But, I would not be shocked if Gerry ditched extra food in order to keep carrying her tent. You can go a few days without food, but one does not want to be caught out in the elements without shelter.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I'm confused. A pile of bones, or a bones in a sleeping bag/tent?
    The authorities announced that Inchworm's remains were found by a contractor for the government who was in the woods doing surveying work. Details regarding a sleeping/bag tent were not officially announced but rather pieced together from various sources which may or may not be accurate.

Starfly informed Whiteblaze that he and another individual found a pile of 20 bones that could have been human in the same general area, and phoned details into the authorities a few days the government contractor's find hit the news.

Starfly reported to Whiteblaze that the authorities never followed up with him on his report.

Right?

Journal Entries

I have to agree with Chuck again none of it really matters. If there is any conspiracy here its a good one because the end result of it all is that she was found, which is what everyone here wanted I'd hope. This isn't about any of us here or money for shelters or really anything at all at this point except hopefully a learning experience. This WILL happen again and maybe someone uses this thread years from now as a good resource. As far as the hints at the legitimacy of my groups claim I completely understand and from anyone else point of view me and the other guy might seem like some quacks....in some ways we are! I have the pictures, and plenty of eyewitness accounts to put us there on Monday. Someones heading in to see if the bone pile we found is still there. If not = human and part of the whole debris field. If they are either they were missed or we just found animal bones, which I'm perfectly fine with. As far as reaching out to news sources like Boston Globe I can't stop anyone from doing that. Feel free I might speak with them. I guess you could ask this question of the warden service here in Maine. Why haven't they reached out to me? If supposedly I was at or near that location prior to the surveyor and did take pictures with a search partner it seems really odd to not make a simple phone call. Sigh

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starfly View Post
    I have to agree with Chuck again none of it really matters. If there is any conspiracy here its a good one because the end result of it all is that she was found, which is what everyone here wanted I'd hope. This isn't about any of us here or money for shelters or really anything at all at this point except hopefully a learning experience. This WILL happen again and maybe someone uses this thread years from now as a good resource. As far as the hints at the legitimacy of my groups claim I completely understand and from anyone else point of view me and the other guy might seem like some quacks....in some ways we are! I have the pictures, and plenty of eyewitness accounts to put us there on Monday. Someones heading in to see if the bone pile we found is still there. If not = human and part of the whole debris field. If they are either they were missed or we just found animal bones, which I'm perfectly fine with. As far as reaching out to news sources like Boston Globe I can't stop anyone from doing that. Feel free I might speak with them. I guess you could ask this question of the warden service here in Maine. Why haven't they reached out to me? If supposedly I was at or near that location prior to the surveyor and did take pictures with a search partner it seems really odd to not make a simple phone call. Sigh
    You said you took GPS coordinates, Starfly, for where you found the bones. Can you provide those? We can then plug them in on Google Earth and cross-reference them with the site SAR reports as where Ms. Largay's remains were found. Also, why not post some of your pics here? Or have you already, and I just missed that? (I apologize if so.)
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries

GPS at the site where our team was are N44degrees58.507 W70degrees24.309 My tomtom also showed to plug in N44degrees58'58.2 W70degrees24'05.1 Can't remember why I jotted down the last coordinate but it was N44degrees982831 W70degrees451429 clearly forgot to make a notation from the minutes to seconds on last one. Also, good luck typing in the degree symbol, my browser really doen't let me very well. Hold Alt + 0176. Position shouldn't be off by more that 30 feet from physical. I'll try to post a link to some of the pictures we took, minus the gory stuff in respect for the departed. Also, the gps coordinates wouldn't prove I was there as anyone could make that up from a google search. But I didn't, and we were. I think I need to be a donating member to post pictures here let me check this out......

Images

...Also, good luck typing in the degree symbol, my browser really doen't let me very well. Hold Alt + 0176...
    Degree symbol is [ALT]248 (no leading zero).
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Starfly, the posters at the trailheads say to call Maine State Police if you find anything. Did you do that?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

guys I have been trying to look back through the posts but missed it.

When was that call to Summit Hostel supposedly?

When did Inchworm's Phone ping off that cell tower? ( I think around 2 pm???)

Thank you

Images

GPS at the site where our team was are N44degrees58.507 W70degrees24.309 My tomtom also showed to plug in N44degrees58'58.2 W70degrees24'05.1 Can't remember why I jotted down the last coordinate but it was N44degrees982831 W70degrees451429 clearly forgot to make a notation from the minutes to seconds on last one. Also, good luck typing in the degree symbol, my browser really doen't let me very well. Hold Alt + 0176. Position shouldn't be off by more that 30 feet from physical. I'll try to post a link to some of the pictures we took, minus the gory stuff in respect for the departed. Also, the gps coordinates wouldn't prove I was there as anyone could make that up from a google search. But I didn't, and we were. I think I need to be a donating member to post pictures here let me check this out......
    Just plugged in those coordinates. Awfully close to where they demarked the discovery site on the map they displayed when announcing finding Inchworm's remains. Google Earth shows 2103' elevation, where they said it was at 2150', iirc, but that's pretty doggone close given the margin of error in altimeters and in those who read and use them. Sounds to me like you're onto something, and I find the "coincidence" that the contractor "discovered" her remains within a couple days after you called in your findings to be improbable, especially over two years after the search was mostly abandoned.

I'm tempted by the idea that friend talked to friend in getting your info from SAR to this contractor, with the idea of claiming the reward. Venal, if true, and hard to go around accusing people of that, but it wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened.

In the end, we can be pleased that uncertainty was ended when her remains where found. Whether you were Leif Ericsson to their Christopher Columbus we may never know. I wonder if their photos and file are public information, subject to Freedom of Information Act?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
    guys I have been trying to look back through the posts but missed it.

When was that call to Summit Hostel supposedly?

When did Inchworm's Phone ping off that cell tower? ( I think around 2 pm???)

Thank you
    The Stratton Motel received the call on Wednesday, July 24.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine...TWM/story.html

It's plausible that Gerri felt ill and was going to pitch her tent off trail to rest and told a passerby to make that call telling them she'd be late to meet her husband. The mystery caller reportedly knew that Gerri and her husband planned to meet up at Rt 27. I wish more info was given as to why this mystery call was later discounted.

Her last cell phone ping was at 2:26 on Monday - there's a nice timeline on page 8, here: http://www.aldha.org/newsletter/2013_winter.pdf
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Did Starfly find any gear in this area?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    The Stratton Motel received the call on Wednesday, July 24.
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine...TWM/story.html

It's plausible that Gerri felt ill and was going to pitch her tent off trail to rest and told a passerby to make that call telling them she'd be late to meet her husband. The mystery caller reportedly knew that Gerri and her husband planned to meet up at Rt 27. I wish more info was given as to why this mystery call was later discounted.

Her last cell phone ping was at 2:26 on Monday - there's a nice timeline on page 8, here: http://www.aldha.org/newsletter/2013_winter.pdf
    That's an interesting point. Maybe she told someone to place that call for her and advised she was going north and east, via lower ground, because she wasn't feeling well and wanted to get to the Caribou Valley Road/A.T. crossing.

I think others here are probably right that the more likely scenario is that she wandered northeast mistakenly, perhaps disoriented somehow. But that is not the only possibility, as has been discussed.

It's plausible that Gerri felt ill and was going to pitch her tent off trail to rest and told a passerby to make that call telling them she'd be late to meet her husband.
    I think it's quite possible she wasn't carrying a tent at all. According this article Geraldine was having some back issues and George was assisting. Here's an excerpt from the article-"A recurring back problem meant that she couldn’t carry the 30 or 35 pounds of gear shouldered by most thru-hikers, so Doyle worked with her to create a plan whereby George could assist her."

My guess is that she planned on staying at the shelters so she could travel as light as she could taking the minimal amount of food and maybe not even a tent.

Hopefully, the family and the authorities will release some of the details as to what was found so the hiking community can learn from this tragic event.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    I think it's quite possible she wasn't carrying a tent at all. According this article Geraldine was having some back issues and George was assisting. Here's an excerpt from the article-"A recurring back problem meant that she couldn’t carry the 30 or 35 pounds of gear shouldered by most thru-hikers, so Doyle worked with her to create a plan whereby George could assist her."

My guess is that she planned on staying at the shelters so she could travel as light as she could taking the minimal amount of food and maybe not even a tent.

Hopefully, the family and the authorities will release some of the details as to what was found so the hiking community can learn from this tragic event.
    Other articles noted that she "had a tent and was well-supplied." And the newest reports say her tent was found with her remains. She was a cautious hiker, by all accounts, not the type to go without some sort of shelter.

http://appalachiantrail.com/20140609...largay-search/
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

..... there's a nice timeline on page 8, here: http://www.aldha.org/newsletter/2013_winter.pdf
    This is an excellent timeline. Thank you QHShowoman. That timeline, coupled with map 6 of the ATC Maine map set, provides a good reference to digest credible information. Hopefully, in time, those that know more than we do will share with us. I am certain there are many details that can benefit those that have a teachable spirit. I believe it is possible that some with a more perfect knowledge of events are wrestling with how much to share. It is quite a balancing act. I faced that conflict in revealing details of my step-father's death to the public. If they choose to share (and I would bet the rest of my life's earnings that they know more than we do) it would be useful to take the above timeline and map and believe every word they share. I take what has been shared by the proper authorities as gospel. Authorities discussed with me what was going to be said prior to telling anyone in the public about the details of my step-father's death. Not every detail is shared. Some things are personal and are kept back out of respect for others. If that is the case here, what has been revealed has been vetted with a purpose.

Just a gratuitous note. Where she was found was north of trail. It is hard to speculate the direction of any possible wanderings. The sum of any possible wanderings compared to the correct path appear to be generally north. However, even that observation is useless because I have no clue where she exited the trail. Knowing the area somewhat, I have an ignorant guess. That guess is only useful to me in that it provides a benchmark that will hopefully be modified if and when someone with credible information corrects it.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 10-23-2015 at 11:16.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Other articles noted that she "had a tent and was well-supplied." And the newest reports say her tent was found with her remains.
    Yes, after searching some more I did find this article that said was found inside her tent. I thought maybe she was slac packing but I guess not.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    ust a gratuitous note. Where she was found was north of trail. It is hard to speculate the direction of any possible wanderings. The sum of any possible wanderings compared to the correct path appear to be generally north. However, even that observation is useless because I have no clue where she exited the trail. Knowing the area somewhat, I have an ignorant guess. That guess is only useful to me in that it provides a benchmark that will hopefully be modified if and when someone with credible information corrects it.
    All speculation is just that. We don't know if she was lost, injured, sick, feeling fine, disoriented or clear of mind. We don't know how long she survived. We know what has been reported publicly, as is summarized well in the ALDHA article linked by QHShowoman. She might've wandered around for days in the area for all we know. It's important to keep in mind the limits of our knowledge and to keep an open mind as to possibilities consistent with the known facts, some of which will vary from our own inclinations about what might have happened.

Given the state of things, most likely we will never know the full story of Inchworm's final ways, unless, perhaps, she took some diary notes, printed or on her phone, which survive. It's a relief that her remains look to have been found, at least.

Journal Entries

Just to follow up with a few of ya'll; She did have a tent and was possibly found in it or what was left of it and possibly in her sleeping bag or what was left of it. Not sure if tent was erected or not. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I doubt we'll ever get more details than what we have right now. There was hardly any info sharing or 'keeping us informed' from the wardens or the family when this was an active case, and at this point theres no doubt instant closure on in. I would think both the family and the wardens would want that and that's great I hope it brings peace. Pedaling - we found bones no gear. Driver - great thoughts. Hard to say why it all got weird there in that 36 hour span but my teams over it, and the end result is what we all wanted. Showwoman - Gerry would not have intentionally bushwhacked off trail, and definitely not to pitch a tent to wait for rescue. Why she was there is the end result of one or more unfortunate events, that again, we'll never know Theres several pretty decent stealth camp spots on railroad road and near the AT there. I'll try to post those pictures. Anyone know how to post pictures here?

Journal Entries

Another quick but neat thought. Theres a lot of speculation about what happened to her in the woods. I would offer that the facts do show or 2 things, and possibly a third. She died doing what she loved; She passed in a very peaceful and beautiful spot up on a knoll in a rare old growth forest full of birch and other hardwoods; She might have passed in her sleep. What a wonderful woman.

Starfly, you may have missed my question - the posters at the trailheads say to call Maine State Police if you find anything. Did you do that?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Page 92 of 134 FirstFirst ... 42 82 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 102 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++