WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 74 of 134 FirstFirst ... 24 64 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 84 124 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 2679
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Does anyone know if the above means that they did another thorough air search (now that the leaves are off the trees) and still found nothing?
    The photos I saw of Inchworm showed her wearing fairly colorful outerwear, so I was hopeful that an air search would reveal something.
    The problem with that logic is that the leaves that were on the trees would now be on the ground covering up anything that was on the ground before the leaves fell.

I just came across a TJ entry by RockSteady, posted on July 23, 2013, telling about meeting Inchworm at Poplar Ridge Shelter that morning and seeing her husband later that day at ME 27. He entitled the entry "The Vanishing of Inch-worm". He said that there was heavy rain that day & he was concerned about an older woman hiking alone in what he described as "treacherous conditions." Here's the link to his journal entry: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=436683 This is the first time I remember reading that it was raining when Inchworm left Poplar Ridge. I thought conditions were good that day. In the last photo taken of her, she was not wearing rain gear.

inchworm was last seen at poplar ridge lean-to on monday, july 22 at approximately 5:45 a.m. I took a photo of her just as she left us to head north. rocksteady's dates and times don't match up.

Here is a link to a site where RockSteady replied to an article about Inchworm: http://writer77.wordpress.com/2013/0...sing-inchworm/
    Again, he refers to it being a rainy morning and speculates about other routes she could have taken.

I think that initially, there was some date confusion on Rock Steady's part. And I think that he may have revised this journal entry since it was originally posted.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    I think that initially, there was some date confusion on Rock Steady's part. And I think that he may have revised this journal entry since it was originally posted.
    I wondered if it was a different older woman he met at Poplar Ridge on the day it rained & just assumed it was Inchworm after hearing she was missing.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

We all are aware of the crazy confusion about where, when, the weather. His account matches my understanding as the first reports came in. He appears to speculate that she slid off of a cliff, which is close to Hoosier's remarks a day or so after her loss. If I read him right, he believes her body is beneath that cliff somewhere. It sounds familiar, much like the disappearance of a young boy who ran ahead of his parents up above Emerald Lake and was caught in a total white out. A climber friend remarked to me where the boy's body could be found, something that only made sense to him. At least a year later the boy's body was located at that exact spot. If that is what the thru-hiker/journalist is suggesting, I think he is right, and the area below the cliff should be carefully searched by dogs and recovery people down there no matter how thick it is. Since I have never been to the spot, I probably am way off though. It was also interesting that he had the encounter with her husband.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Clarification: Emerald Lake is in Rocky Mountain National Park. The boy was up on the tundra above it before he fell.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Praying for you Gerry. Still think the answers are right in front of us. Someones missing something.

When Jane and I went up last summer to try to help find Gerry, or at least see for ourselves what/where Gerry was and how she might have thought, we ran into the Animal Planet folks who were doing some filming. They (most outstandingly) switched from 'filming mode' to 'search for Gerry mode' and did what they could. It appears that they also did some footage on the search for Gerry. It will be on the 10pm EST Animal Planet tomorrow, Thursday the 12th (Northwoods something or other). It appears to be a series of theirs). Not sure how much coverage it will be, but wanted to pass this along. Many thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers for my friend.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Thanks EE, that is Northwoods Law, an Animal Planet series about the Maine Warden Service and I think a good show.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ElephantEater View Post
    When Jane and I went up last summer to try to help find Gerry, or at least see for ourselves what/where Gerry was and how she might have thought, we ran into the Animal Planet folks who were doing some filming. They (most outstandingly) switched from 'filming mode' to 'search for Gerry mode' and did what they could. It appears that they also did some footage on the search for Gerry. It will be on the 10pm EST Animal Planet tomorrow, Thursday the 12th (Northwoods something or other). It appears to be a series of theirs). Not sure how much coverage it will be, but wanted to pass this along. Many thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers for my friend.
    North Woods Law. It's a series about our Maine Game Wardens, it's in its second season and has been very popular here in Maine and all over I guess. I haven't watched it much, but EE has the date and time right. Gray Jay was just looking for info on FB and I thought to check this thread (which I do at least weekly still) to see if someone had info on the showing, she wasn't clear where, when, what. Now we know, and I have told her on FB. Maybe I'll put something on the MSAR FB page too. Thanks EE.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

I don't get that channel so if there is anything that they come up with maybe someone could post it here so I could get to read it and for other who don't get that channel, Thanks
    My prayers are still with her wherever she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Anghiker View Post
    I don't get that channel so if there is anything that they come up with maybe someone could post it here so I could get to read it and for other who don't get that channel, Thanks
    My prayers are still with her wherever she is.
    I'm going to be watching it tonight.. I'll let you know what I see... You might be able to view the show later on the WWW somehow... I'll check into that as well for ya.

thanks, i don't have TV either. inchworm is on my mind so often. . .my heart goes out to the family & her friends.

.com

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I will be watching also. In fact I have been watching reruns all day as they are having a marathon today. The show about Inchworm will most likely not have anything new as it was filmed back when the original search was taking place.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Thanks for the info! Just turned it on

Sent from somewhere in the woods.

Journal Entries

The show is called North Woods Law and this particular episode is Season 3 / Episode 9. Obviously the filming took place some time ago but I still hope the family gets closure. Sad...
    RIAP

Thank you to EE for alerting us to this show. I watched and came away very impressed with the professionalism and thoroughness of the Maine Game Wardens and SAR and everyone involved in the search. They definitely knew what they were doing. So a great big THANK YOU to all the Maine professionals who do and did such outstanding work in carrying out their duties, as well as in the search for Gerry.

My heart goes out to her family.
    Trillium

Very well said ^ such a sad situation.

Sent from somewhere in the woods.

Page 74 of 134 FirstFirst ... 24 64 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 84 124 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++