WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 53 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2679

anybody heard anything new lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Roughdrafts.

I noticed that you spell her name "Ivanich" - is that how she spelled it? (like in shelter logs) Or simply how she pronounced it - or both.
    Short for "I have an ich", I am assuming.
    "To take risks is to live, to be always safe and secure is certain death" - Edward Abbey

In this case no news cannot be good!

Jane found some great photos of the section of the AT Gerry was hiking. Note that all streams/rivers from Poplar Ridge to Hwy 27 look very tame. Also note the great job the MATC folks do with signage to make sure people don't get lost. (And don't get confused like I was by the coincidental dates: 2012, not 2013): <cite id="yui_3_7_2_1_1376829693956_10835">lt.tucson.az. us/at/at2012/index.cgi</cite>

Quote Originally Posted by ElephantEater View Post
    Jane found some great photos of the section of the AT Gerry was hiking. Note that all streams/rivers from Poplar Ridge to Hwy 27 look very tame. Also note the great job the MATC folks do with signage to make sure people don't get lost. (And don't get confused like I was by the coincidental dates: 2012, not 2013): <cite id="yui_3_7_2_1_1376829693956_10835">lt.tucson.az. us/at/at2012/index.cgi</cite>
    Link didn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by ladydi View Post
    Link didn't work...
    Try this version.....
    http://lt.tucson.az.us/at/at2012/

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

The highway sign at ME 4 tugs at your heartstrings.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Yes, it does...

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    We just got home from hiking and camping in and around Rangeley. It was a little sad seeing the trailhead, but I just want to say this. We talked about Gerry a lot this weekend. First of all, the searchers should be commended because if you havent ever hiked up there, you have no clue. Once you get above treeline going up Saddleback, it is a long above treeline trek, it gets rugged as hell. Going up Saddleback, being above treeline for that amount of time will do a number on you. This area is also known for caves and giant boulder fields, including off of the trail. I will not speculate as to what happened to her.
    Now if she had good weather or even fair weather on her last day, what a place to be on your final hike. Anyway, as I said earlier, we thought of Gerry and her family this weekend and hope that no matter what has happened to her, that she did not and is not suffering.
    IMG_1432.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    We just got home from hiking and camping in and around Rangeley. It was a little sad seeing the trailhead, but I just want to say this. We talked about Gerry a lot this weekend. First of all, the searchers should be commended because if you havent ever hiked up there, you have no clue. Once you get above treeline going up Saddleback, it is a long above treeline trek, it gets rugged as hell. Going up Saddleback, being above treeline for that amount of time will do a number on you. This area is also known for caves and giant boulder fields, including off of the trail. I will not speculate as to what happened to her.
    Now if she had good weather or even fair weather on her last day, what a place to be on your final hike. Anyway, as I said earlier, we thought of Gerry and her family this weekend and hope that no matter what has happened to her, that she did not and is not suffering.
    Man, that is a sad photo. Fine post, Chaco. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts - I think most all of us are on the same page as you.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries
    Images

We need to keep this on track or I will close this thread.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Where is it going off track?

My bad, I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    IMG_1432.jpg
    Agree with this post completely. I want to add that none of these hiker missing signs were posted at or near the Mt. Abraham trailhead when I checked it the Saturday before last.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have heard back indirectly from the Maine Wardens and wanted to pass along the information I got. It came directly from a reliable source. This was written to someone from the investigator.

Question: Do we know if Ivanic left Monday morning before Gerry and/or what interaction Ivanic might have had with Gerry, particularly Monday a.m. or later.

Answer: We suspect that Gerry left about around 0630 hours only because of an interview with .COM and QUEEN. QUEEN stated that she saw Gerry about 6am on Monday Morning and QUEEN and .COM left Popular about 0645 am, Southbound. QUEEN stated that Gerry left about 15 minutes prior to that. We know that Gerry sent a text to her husband and stated that it was 0715 when she left lean-to and I think it actually did not push out until 0720 hours.

Ivanic did say that she did not get up until about 0800 hours and Gerry was already gone. She left about 0900 hours and arrived at Spaulding lean to about 1600 hours.

Question: Who last saw Gerry and where is the big question.
    Answer: I believe the last people to see Gerry are going to be .com and Queen, who were southbound hikers and left Poplar after Gerry left, they stated they did not meet her on the trail. We are reinter viewing hikers to make sure we did not miss something.

We are trying to determine the same thing, did anyone meet her on the trail. If the boys are wrong, I would say no one met her on the trail, if the boys are correct then she had to take a side trail to not make it to Spaulding because it is just a short distance to it. But Ivanic would have had to be right behind her and the boys do not talk about seeing two women on the trail on Lone Mountain, or meeting another female hiker alone after “Gerry”.

We plan on having another search Thursday covering the area south of the AT where two side streams to Oberton come off the mountain, we have not searched in that area yet.

Poplar Lean to is at the edge of the map on the left, it is not marked.

Added note about the ping;
    The last ping was on Lone Mountain. The ping just indicates a 30 mile radius, so all it tells us is that someone turned on the phone around 3pm

inchworm-search.jpg
    AT Troll (2010)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I have heard back indirectly from the Maine Wardens and wanted to pass along the information I got. It came directly from a reliable source. This was written to someone from the investigator.

Question: Do we know if Ivanic left Monday morning before Gerry and/or what interaction Ivanic might have had with Gerry, particularly Monday a.m. or later.

Answer: We suspect that Gerry left about around 0630 hours only because of an interview with .COM and QUEEN. QUEEN stated that she saw Gerry about 6am on Monday Morning and QUEEN and .COM left Popular about 0645 am, Southbound. QUEEN stated that Gerry left about 15 minutes prior to that. We know that Gerry sent a text to her husband and stated that it was 0715 when she left lean-to and I think it actually did not push out until 0720 hours.

Ivanic did say that she did not get up until about 0800 hours and Gerry was already gone. She left about 0900 hours and arrived at Spaulding lean to about 1600 hours.

Question: Who last saw Gerry and where is the big question.
    Answer: I believe the last people to see Gerry are going to be .com and Queen, who were southbound hikers and left Poplar after Gerry left, they stated they did not meet her on the trail. We are reinter viewing hikers to make sure we did not miss something.

We are trying to determine the same thing, did anyone meet her on the trail. If the boys are wrong, I would say no one met her on the trail, if the boys are correct then she had to take a side trail to not make it to Spaulding because it is just a short distance to it. But Ivanic would have had to be right behind her and the boys do not talk about seeing two women on the trail on Lone Mountain, or meeting another female hiker alone after “Gerry”.

We plan on having another search Thursday covering the area south of the AT where two side streams to Oberton come off the mountain, we have not searched in that area yet.

Poplar Lean to is at the edge of the map on the left, it is not marked.

Added note about the ping;
    The last ping was on Lone Mountain. The ping just indicates a 30 mile radius, so all it tells us is that someone turned on the phone around 3pm

inchworm-search.jpg
    Do I understand the above correctly to mean the wardens are not sure Gerry made it to Lone Mtn, that it might have been Ivanic the fellow hikers saw there, resting and that the ping was not necessarily from Lone?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Yes Driver8 - that's now what they're thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Do I understand the above correctly to mean the wardens are not sure Gerry made it to Lone Mtn, that it might have been Ivanic the fellow hikers saw there, resting and that the ping was not necessarily from Lone?
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Journal Entries
    Images

I only relay what was sent to me in an email. I am reading it the same way.
    AT Troll (2010)

Leaving at 0900, arriving at 1600, that basically makes Ivanich a 1 mile/hour hiker - same as Gerry. That also would put her resting near the summit of Lone where the boys spotted the woman they first believed to be Gerry a little after 3pm (but then she would have had to cover the last 2+ miles at a 2 mph or better pace to make it to Spaulding by 4pm).

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post

www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

My rough formula is 2 mi/hr, 30 min/1000 ft. going up, 20/min/1000 ft. going down. It's 6 miles, about 1500' descent and 1750' ascent from Poplar to Lone Mt = 4.5 hr of hiking time. If she stopped at Orbeton Stream for a break - maybe a longer one to wash out a pair of socks or something, and another break near the top of Lone Mtn., 6 hours (0900 to 1500) would be in the ball park. From Lone Mtn. to Spaulding is a relatively flat 2 miles, so 1 hour for that is reasonable, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Leaving at 0900, arriving at 1600, that basically makes Ivanich a 1 mile/hour hiker - same as Gerry. That also would put her resting near the summit of Lone where the boys spotted the woman they first believed to be Gerry a little after 3pm (but then she would have had to cover the last 2+ miles at a 2 mph or better pace to make it to Spaulding by 4pm).

Page 53 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++