WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 27 of 134 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 127 ... LastLast
    GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've been following this story since the beginning, it is very sad. Having some experience in search and rescue here's what I think.

She is not a victim of foul play.
    She did not drown, the most common cause of death for those not found in 48 hours.
    For some reason she left the trail.

It's possible she became injured climbing Lone Mt. Statistically most people who become injured move downhill.

I'd like to know if she had a map. That might influence her direction of travel if she moved off the trail for some reason (maybe for water).
    I'd also like to know if authorities have ID those hikers immediately behind her. Who showed up at Spaulding that evening? Did they see anything? Maybe a direction sign on the trail indicating someone left the trail to travel in a certain direction?

What I don't understand, unless she became disoriented, was why she would not just stay on the trail and wait for help if injured. This time of year one would not have to wait long for someone to come by.

I think it's possible she went off the trail for water or a bathroom break and couldn't find the trail again.

Hope and pray for her safe return.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    There are dogs and then there are dogs. Did they use bloodhounds trained to track a scent. I work with the dept of corrections and all I'm saying is that there are dogs that could do it.
    Maybe its not in the "budget" to bring in said dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    Maybe its not in the "budget" to bring in said dogs.
    We have some very fine SAR teams up here in Maine. But I don't know precisely what kind of dog teams were used and I hesitate to second guess our fine Warden service.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

GA-ME 2011
    Images

There's a SAR dog organization in Maine http://www.mesard.org , don't know if they were called in though.

I know that those who volunteer to do SAR, and especially those with rescue dogs spend a tremendous amount of time,effort and money in training.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    We have some very fine SAR teams up here in Maine. But I don't know precisely what kind of dog teams were used and I hesitate to second guess our fine Warden service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    There's a SAR dog organization in Maine http://www.mesard.org , don't know if they were called in though.

I know that those who volunteer to do SAR, and especially those with rescue dogs spend a tremendous amount of time,effort and money in training.
    I'm not one to quickly second guess authorities. It's just very frustrating.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post

Under team biographies it looks like they have at least one bloodhound.

I agree it is unlikely that Inchworm would have headed over Mt. Abraham. However:

1) She was last spotted/positioned via cell phone at Lone Mtn. at about 3:15 pm, and there is little to no evidence that she was walking any slower than normal. See thread above.

2) She was headed to Spaulding Mtn. Lean-to 2 miles away. See Map 6.

3) It has been concluded that she did not reach Spaulding Mtn. Lean-to. See search from last weekend.

4) There is exactly one side trail marked on the map between Lone Mtn. and Spaulding Mtn. Lean-to. See Map 6.

5) A sign marking that side trail indicates that Kingfield is 7.3 miles (or approximately that distance) away. See sign at intersection (wish I would have taken a picture).

6) Based on Inchworm's hiking speed (approx. 1 mph), she could have made it to the side trail (1 mi), up Mt. Abraham (1.7 mi), and down below tree line (about 1 mi) by darkness, or at least have made it to a shelter which may or may not still be on top of Mt. Abraham. See Map 6 and last known position.

7) Kingfield is a town which can be seen on the map on the rear portion of Maine Map 6. See Map 6.

8) AT hikers have been known to get off the trail ASAP for a number of reasons, including, "I am not having fun any more". See, e.g., LW.

I don't think that Inchworm would have left the trail for that reason; however, e.g., she may have wanted to get to civilization by Tuesday so that her husband would not have worried.

I have asked multiple times, and consulted multiple webpages, blogs, etc., to see if the trail off of Mt. Abraham (Fire Warden Trail) was searched. No one has indicated that the trail was searched, and I have found no evidence that it was searched. In contrast, the area of Caribou Pond appears to have been searched. See map at http://www.dailybulldog.com/db/featu...t-hiker-today/

Remember that most of the earlier searches assumed that Inchworm made it Spaulding Lean-to. If she did not make it there, yet was seen on Lone Mtn., where did she then go?

Gerry used AWOL's guide, so she would know distances and grade changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ElephantEater View Post
    That's good information to know, thanks EE

Very helpful. Did she also use the ATC map sets or any other topographic maps?

It is entirely possible that something scared her into the woods (bear, moose siting???) or she simply forgot which way the trail was after going to the bathroom, and perhaps panicked when she couldn't find the trail. She could have then compounded the error by venturing to seek the trail without marking her starting point. It could just be one bad decision after another while in panic mode, until she found herself out of the search area. She could have then had a medical issue or an accident. I just hope that we eventually find out. Better yet, I hope she is gorging on berries and working her way back to civilization.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Were conditions such that hypothermia could have taken away her good judgment? Those who encountered her at Lone Mountain might have a clue about that. I envy her low BMI, which was healthy, but it also was at the bottom of the healthy scale. IOW, she did not have great reserves, which could affect her ability to hang in there if lost/injured. Was she given to hypoglycemia, which also affects one's potential for the excellent judgment that we are assuming she had on board. One thing for sure, she has great hiking partners on Whiteblaze.net who would lay down their tools and go to a difficult area to give everything in their power to rescue/recover her.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

I know I may only add to the speculation, but I have hiked this area and have stayed at both Poplar Ridge and Crocker Campsite.

1. If she was conscious, lost or injured and had her pack, she would have heard the helicopter knowing SAR is looking for her. Being very experienced, she would have tried to move to a place with greater visibility from the air, possibly being separated from her pack in the process. If she still had her pack, she would most likely spread out her tent to create a larger target or built a smoky fire. She would not move far from her location upon realizing she was lost except up to get to water or an exposed site as she would have known the calvary is coming for her.

2. If she was semi conscious and wandering aimlessly she would have left a large scent trail, lost her pack, etc., she could not go far in that terrain before she became unconscious or her belongings were located. Animals would have spread her pack all over the place resulting in a huge target

3. If the initial incident caused her to become unconscious, due to whatever, than she would be an extremely small target, easily missed by searchers not so by dogs and most likely very close to the trail.

3. Foul play.

My conclusions are:

1. She is not conscious, she was missed by searchers, in a location not far from the trail, in the last known area seen. The undergrowth is so thick in places a glance by the searcher in the opposite direction and one step could miss her. Dogs less so. She could be in a "cradle" which is a low depression caused by an tree being up rooted years before.

2. Foul play.

I have the utmost respect for SAR and all the volunteers who worked so hard and have taken this very personally.
    People have survived for much longer with far fewer supplies than she has so I am hopeful of a successful outcome, there is always hope.

Here's a link to a video of Fire Warden's Trail to the summit of Mt. Abraham. The video shows that the access road bridges are out. I confirmed the same last evening (see above).

http://actoutwithaislinn.bangordaily...ngfield-maine/

I may camp on the Fire Warden's trail tonight if the rain subsides (visibility at Sugarloaf base right now is about 1/8th of a mile). I may hike to the summit, but am mainly interested in briefly searching the apparently unsearched areas below treeline.

If anyone else is interested, feel free to PM me.

And the map sets? i.e. MATC in this case?
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    Here's a link to a video of Fire Warden's Trail to the summit of Mt. Abraham. The video shows that the access road bridges are out. I confirmed the same last evening (see above).

I may camp on the Fire Warden's trail tonight if the rain subsides (visibility at Sugarloaf base right now is about 1/8th of a mile). I may hike to the summit, but am mainly interested in briefly searching the apparently unsearched areas below treeline.

You know what??? You, my friend, are awesome!! Thank you so much for all the info and support you are giving on this site towards the continued search for Inchworm.

IMHO, WB members are some of the BEST "detectives" around.

It's the instant connection/love we all feel for another fellow backpacker that motivates us not to give up. EVER. Thanks joshuasdad for everything you are doing, right now.

If you are instrumental in finding her..I will be so proud.. I'll have to say.. "Yeah", I've met him"... LOL!! Keep up the good work!!

EE,BB and everyone is so helpful, freely giving their knowledge about Inchworm and that section of the trail where she was last seen.

I'm amazed and so impressed with you guys... just sayin.

Sorry I can't be up there til Sunday. I've been on Abraham once peak bagging in '99 (yikes where does time go?). There is no shelter above or below treelne. FW cabin was not in shape then likely completely in ruins now. There are New England hiking forums I can PM you that are trail reports submitted by hikers, someone was recently on Abraham, and likely lots more that don't write reports. You found the t/h it requires crossing the stream now as you saw.

Sorry I can't be up there til Sunday. I've been on Abraham once peak bagging in '99 (yikes where does time go?). There is no shelter above or below treelne. FW cabin was not in shape then likely completely in ruins now. There are New England hiking forums I can PM you that are trail reports submitted by hikers, someone was recently on Abraham, and likely lots more that don't write reports. You found the t/h it requires crossing the stream now as you saw.
    Thanks for the links! I do see a picture of an emergency shelter in a link from Alligator's thread close to the tower on the summit. The trip report is dated July 2013.

http://summithikinginnewengland.blog...ly-5-2013.html

I have also seen reports of a camp area (including privy) on the relatively flat area heading to Mt. Abraham. That is where I would likely stay.

Thanks for the links! I do see a picture of an emergency shelter in a link from Alligator's thread close to the tower on the summit. The trip report is dated July 2013.

http://summithikinginnewengland.blog...ly-5-2013.html

I have also seen reports of a camp area (including privy) on the relatively flat area heading to Mt. Abraham. That is where I would likely stay.
    Ok well my knowledge is old. I'll ask a backpacker friend what she knows. I'm surprised about a campsite w privy above treelne - camping is not allowed anywhere in Maine in the alpine zone.

Ok well my knowledge is old. I'll ask a backpacker friend what she knows. I'm surprised about a campsite w privy above treelne - camping is not allowed anywhere in Maine in the alpine zone.
    Campsite with privy is below treeline, no way I would stay on summit unless I absolutely had to.

http://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trai...-warden-trail/

Page 27 of 134 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 127 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++