WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 113 of 134 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 123 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2679

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    .............Specifically WRT capturing/sending cell phone signals in areas that are beyond the reach of regular cell towers......
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfly View Post
    ......Rickb I'm not that educated on the WRT capturing that you're talking about..................
    What is the WRT?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Ive always read it as With Regards To

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    What is the WRT?
    Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Ive always read it as With Regards To
    Yes, I believe you are correct. A bit confusing as used in context due to WRT also being an acronym for Wireless RouTer - which can also be associated with cell phones.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Yes, I believe you are correct. A bit confusing as used in context due to WRT also being an acronym for Wireless RouTer - which can also be associated with cell phones.
    Wireless Reciever/Transmitter

which flew right over my head

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Wireless Reciever/Transmitter

which flew right over my head
    Yeah, or that too. Too few acronyms sharing too many names. Like when I see, ***, the World Taekwondo Federation just isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

EDIT: Now that there was funny, the forum auto-edited the acronym. Ha!
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Ohhh so wireless receiver transmitter? Thanks egilbe/Buzz.

Traveler - Thanks for sharing that post. You know a lot more about SAR that I do that's for sure. May I ask what, if anything, you would have done differently if you were either a member of SAR in this case or a official in charge. In connection with that let me say that I do not think a single poster in this thread, at least lately, has blamed the SAR members conducting the search. I think they did a good job and I'm sure gave it 110%. They were following orders from a person or two and those orders/decisions seem to be questionable but that's purely my opinion. And I also don't think anyone is questioning anything about the Navy or SERE, hopefully that ship has sailed. The bollard did that, has been thoroughly stomped on here, and theres been little mention of it since. Finally, even if the WS orders/decisions were questionable, overall its a very very long way from negligence or as you say "caused the death." Again, I'm don't see anyone saying that here.

I'm curious if it was an encampment in hopes of a rescue as she felt hopelessly lost or if it were an encampment made out of a medical event that led to incapacitation. It's a sad event, but out of it maybe some valuable knowledge can learned from it.

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Since the last threads on Inchworm were permanently closed I hesitate to post this but it is new and public information.
    I think the original thread is still open, but even if not it already had the link to the ME's report.

CSI Whiteblaze just hit reruns.
    Last edited by Offshore; 02-08-2016 at 06:40.

WRT can either be:

With Regards To

or

With Respect To

Quote Originally Posted by Starfly View Post
    Ohhh so wireless receiver transmitter? Thanks egilbe/Buzz.

Traveler - Thanks for sharing that post. You know a lot more about SAR that I do that's for sure. May I ask what, if anything, you would have done differently if you were either a member of SAR in this case or a official in charge. In connection with that let me say that I do not think a single poster in this thread, at least lately, has blamed the SAR members conducting the search. I think they did a good job and I'm sure gave it 110%. They were following orders from a person or two and those orders/decisions seem to be questionable but that's purely my opinion. And I also don't think anyone is questioning anything about the Navy or SERE, hopefully that ship has sailed. The bollard did that, has been thoroughly stomped on here, and theres been little mention of it since. Finally, even if the WS orders/decisions were questionable, overall its a very very long way from negligence or as you say "caused the death." Again, I'm don't see anyone saying that here.
    I don't know enough about the specifics of the search and decision timeline to have an opinion on what could have been done differently, there are just too many variables involved. I do know best practice search protocols used have a very high statistical level of success (at or above the 95 percentile inside 24 hours), this being the atypical instance. Again, we can know all the specifics of how the search was conducted, thats not hard to document. What we don't know nor can it be determined is the victim's cognitive condition and behavior during the initial search period and if they eventually came back into an area that searchers had made their presence known. Nor do we know why dogs didn't pick up a scent during initial search or subsequent searches. We will never know these answers, we can't ask the victim and the dogs can't say. To speculate is counterproductive.

The statement "searchers/effort/rescue failed and the victim(s) died" (or similarly said) is not uncommon to hear from the public and has been said in this thread in one form or another over time. Though it may not be the intent of people saying this, associating a death with the term "failure" in the same sentence as SAR actions is a passive way of expressing the blame opinion. I am not making the accusation of anyone here about that, only drawing attention to the point. The performance metric used for this work is typically successful/unsuccessful. Failure implies searchers had a choice or opportunity when none may have existed. SAR does not share responsibility of how a victim arrived at needing help or their fate as a result. It may seem a minor point or semantics in the use of unsuccessful or failure, but to those men and women who participate in these events, its a distinction with a serious difference and should be observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    WRT can either be:

With Regards To

or

With Respect To
    Thankfully its not Wireless Telemetry Frequencies.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

My father went to bed one night and did not wake up the next day. This is probably more likely what happend to Inchworm rather then dyeing from exposure, or starvation. What I find suspicious is the need for the authorities to conclude. In October when she was found, head line reads "died of exposure". Ok not many exposure deaths happen in July, especially with trained, experienced hikers, who have a full set of gear, and at one time a USAF nurse. Then more recently when the medical examiners report comes out that she died in her sleeping bag in her tent the conclusion is that she died of starvation. Ok now that would of happened well after weeks of intensive searching. Her remains are found just 2,100 feet off of the AT. She had the cognitive ability to build up a bed made from pine branches to put her tent on, however no signal fire, her red jacket was not placed some where search planes might spot it. A logical conclusion to this is that she was either captured, or dead during the search. I find it odd that her arms and hands are missing, if their was evidence of foul play defensive wounds would show up on her hands and arms.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    A logical conclusion to this is that she was either captured, or dead during the search.
    or wandering around somewhere.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Perhaps, and she happened across this spot in the end while avoiding all SAR attempts. Did her arms and hands just disappear some where, not to be found by the k9's.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

I think rickb meant "with respect to" but it was a little confusing, I thought he was referring to some organisation or piece of equipment that could detect cellphone signals. Thanks for everybody's help.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Acronyms are convenient, they're just not always obvious.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quick IT joke..

What does ATM stand for?

All together Too Much

Thank you..Thank you.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Department of Acronyms = DOA
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 02-08-2016 at 15:42.

Is this really the sort of people that frequent this forum, people that make jokes on a thread about a dead hiker.
    Absolutely disgusting how some people have zero respect

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
    Is this really the sort of people that frequent this forum, people that make jokes on a thread about a dead hiker.
    Absolutely disgusting how some people have zero respect
    No one is, nor has, disrespected Gerry. No one is making jokes about Gerry. Just as conversations in real life often drift and go off on tangents, so do threads on internet forums. It's a casual conversation, no more, no less.

++ New Posts ++