WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 80 of 134 FirstFirst ... 30 70 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 90 130 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 2679
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starfly View Post
    SAR and those in charge of these searches serve a very important role. That being said they're normal people like you and I. A few of my friends are SAR and other than map and compass skills there isn't anything exceptional about them other than they selflessly will drop what they're doing and go hunt for computer jockeys like us They all deserve a pat on the back. The point is don't disempower yourselves into thinking you can't help. Small teams of non-professionals find people all the time. In some ways we can be more effective. We don't have to obey anyone 'in charge' of a search for one. If anyone wants to join us there are two unofficial searches that will be conducted later this summer. One in July and another either July or August. Fortunately, in my opinion, these searches will actually cover new area that as far as we know has been quite untouched by previous searches (unlike this recent search). Anyone interested give me a shout. Namaste
    Well said....

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2

SAR and those in charge of these searches serve a very important role. That being said they're normal people like you and I. A few of my friends are SAR and other than map and compass skills there isn't anything exceptional about them other than they selflessly will drop what they're doing and go hunt for computer jockeys like us They all deserve a pat on the back. The point is don't disempower yourselves into thinking you can't help. Small teams of non-professionals find people all the time. In some ways we can be more effective. We don't have to obey anyone 'in charge' of a search for one. If anyone wants to join us there are two unofficial searches that will be conducted later this summer. One in July and another either July or August. Fortunately, in my opinion, these searches will actually cover new area that as far as we know has been quite untouched by previous searches (unlike this recent search). Anyone interested give me a shout. Namaste
    This is fine and well after the fact when the offical search is discontinued. But untrained people trying to "help" SAR in the woods are a hinderance nothing more, they do more harm than good.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    This is fine and well after the fact when the offical search is discontinued. But untrained people trying to "help" SAR in the woods are a hinderance nothing more, they do more harm than good.
    The group searching did so with permission and guidance from the Maine Wardens so I see no harm in them searching.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I haven't read through all the posts since they first started coming out but I was wondering if anyone had thought about, if they know someone, who owns a drone to go up and take a look? Would something like that be even possible in that terrain?

Images

Man, you guys will argue about anything! Seriously, don't we all want the same thing, which is to find out what happened to Gerry so her family can get some closure?
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

As far as the ALDHA search crew is concerned Mike W took several courses prior to the search and the team had a meeting with the Maine Wardens the day before. If any type of evidence was found, it was to logged and left in place. Their initial search area was a section that was quickly covered by the Maine Wardens last year.

Regardless of their "professionalism" they were allowed and their efforts logged by the Maine Warden.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Murphy View Post
    Not only do I disagree, I strongly disagree. Under the tutelage of the right team leader, one well organized, they're an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Not only do I disagree, I strongly disagree. Under the tutelage of the right team leader, one well organized, they're an asset.
    Gotta agree with socks

Journal Entries

I agree with socks as well. All a grid search really is are hikers walking through the woods at a set distance apart, say 10-20 feet shoulder to shoulder. Its not rocket science. A good team leader could wrangle capable volunteers in the easier sections. In smaller searches or with dogs, in difficult terrain etc just trained professionals should be in there. In this search its a massive area, and underutilizing manpower in the past and discouraging renewed interest moving forward from anyone that wants to help would be a mistake. DON/SLY- Does anyone know the area that Mike W.'s team recently searched? I'd love to see these 'logged' search area. I've talked with Lt. Kevin Adams, a nice guy by all counts. Not sure why all the different searched areas are such a secret though. Trainguy- Its an interesting thought. Some of the thinking I believe has to do with visibility. The forest canopy in Maine is pretty dense and the quality of video from a lot of drones isn't really that great. You can see a variety of these videos on youtube. A drone could be useful right after someone goes missing but probably what few drones you're going to find in Maine are going to be used for more immediate issues as far as law enforcement is concerned.

nobody wants to talk about it but it's a strong possibility she was abducted and taken elsewhere. i bet the wardens and dog handlers feel the same way also

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    nobody wants to talk about it but it's a strong possibility she was abducted and taken elsewhere. i bet the wardens and dog handlers feel the same way also
    Gotta say that's my feeling as well, I just think some evidence would have been found by now...but one never knows. Still Hopin'

DON/SLY- Does anyone know the area that Mike W.'s team recently searched? I'd love to see these 'logged' search area.
    Mike felt (and I agree) since it's fairly certain Inchwork made it to Poplar Ridge Lean-To on Sunday, she should have been able to hike 32 or so odd miles in three days.

The ALDHA crew went in on Caribou Valley Road. A damaged bridge had them parking about a quarter mile from the trail. The road crossing is just north of the south branch of the Carrabassett. For the most, part the crew searched north of the road as far as North Crocker and perhaps Rt 27 10-20 yards off either side of the trail.

I have thought that too. I think as socks said something would have been found by now. But by the same token what if she just wondered off. There are alot of what ifs. I think most want to do what they can to solve this mystery.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I believe it is almost certain.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

Though the foul-play theory could most certainly be correct, Canoe makes a good point that there are a lot of what ifs with any wilderness missing person and its still important for all of us to 'do what they can' to solve this mystery. I personally think the foul-play idea is a defeatist attitude that discourages searchers and interest in her case a bit prematurely. She has been missing less than a year so lets not give up on her just yet folks okay? (Paragraph needed here but I haven't donated yet) Dozens and dozens if not hundreds of people have gone missing in the wilderness of the U.S. fairly recently without a trace. Inchworms disappearance is mysterious but not really that unique! Some of you posters (Maryland with a population 5 times great than ME but 1/3 the size) are from states with huge populations, small land mass, and higher crime than maine comparatively speaking. Just remember the time hiking when you were on a high summit in Maine, looking that the vast tracts of unexplored land and realizing how small we all are. There were only a few hundred volunteers searching for her or clues in a 8 mile by 6 mile remote area where nobody lives or passes by but a handful or hikers on any given day. Its Maine. A large part of the area she went missing is unsearched. Its remote, crime free, limited to zero access, etc etc and quite frankly statically extremely unlikely she was abducted. Would anyone like the help search???

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I don't think the theory of foul play discourages searching and I certainly do not advocate giving up. If anything I think the search area should be expanded to areas away from the trail based on the foul play theory. As an example, has Reddington Pond been searched? That would be easy with cadaver dogs even after a year. It's a short way down the old railroad right of way along Orbeton Stream to the AT. It is easily accessible and someone wishing to do harm could drive very close to the trail.

Many people go missing every year. The ones that get lost are usually found. It's the ones that intentionally disappear, either by foul play or on their own, that are difficult to find.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I have wondered how come there has been no mention of searching Redington Pond. Have also wondered what if she came down off Poplar Ridge and sprained a leg or something. Once in the valley between Poplar Ridge and Lone Mt., would she look at the map and think if she took some of the ATV trails on the north side of the AT, she could connect with Caribou Valley Road, for an easier way out, to 27 and her husband, for help. Then once she got onto the maze of trails she took wrong turns and simply got lost out there, eventually running out of water. That could have put her well out of the “logical” search area.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Gerry was an experienced hiker, I don't believe she just get lost. She had cell signal and could have called for help. If not she would have decided at some point to find a clearing, set up camp and start a fire, or go to a high point, get a signal and call for help. She had a few days food and water is not hard to find.

I doubt she would have willingly gone far of the trail for any reason. She would have known that someone would be coming along to help her if she were injured. If she is near the trail she would have been found already.

I find no reasonable explanation as to why she would be off trail unless foul play was involved.
    Just my opinion.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Is there still the government combat training facility near Reddington falls? If yes, has anyone explored the possibility of interaction between the hiker and the masked commandos?
    Let me go

She doesn't fit the age profile for kidnapping victims nearly as well as she fits the profile for someone who has suffered some other mishap in a remote area and hasn't been found.

Page 80 of 134 FirstFirst ... 30 70 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 90 130 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++