WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 95 of 134 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2679
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Madthrush View Post
    I'm wondering if those most familiar with this area could say how easy it would be to mistake the railroad bed, or another side trail in that vicinity, as the AT if one were hiking with head down deep in thought. Perhaps then one might be able to make a concerted effort to mark such a spot in the area in which she went missing. It obviously doesn't happen often here, but for some reason it might have happened in this instance. I know folks have posted that the AT is well marked in this area and I don't doubt that. But once while hiking the 100 mile wilderness I hiked onto a side trail and went about a quarter mile without realizing I was no longer on the AT. I am also an experienced backpacker but I was lost in thought and temporarily not paying attention - not unusual for someone hiking alone. I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I keep coming back to this as a plausible explanation and no one would not want a similar fate for anyone else. Perhaps we could use Gerry's experience to prevent another tragedy.

ive theorized on this on other threads at length. those threads seemingly got closed, at least in part, because of me going on and on about it. so i wont do it again. but you can go find what i had to say if you'd like.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Are you freaking kiddin' me, you want pictures of a fallen hikers bones posted in an open public forum for all the little CSI wannabes to give their assessment? I can't even begin to tell you just how twisted that is, take a minute and let that sink in...seriously, wait for the report and much of what needs to be answered will be answered.
    Fair point. I was focused on getting to the truth of the matter and hadn't considered the concern you raise - thank you. Would be possible, though, to post pics of the area where Starfly made the discovery without including photos of the remains. Would give an idea if it matches up with the place where Inchworms remains were found - same place, or no?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

For some reason I'm not buying what they are saying
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

I find this statement from the article interesting: "The Chief Medical Examiner has determined Largay's death was accidental due to lack of food and water and environmental exposure."

Translation: We have no idea of the cause of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    For some reason I'm not buying what they are saying
    agree. i still call foul play

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Madthrush View Post
    I'm wondering if those most familiar with this area could say how easy it would be to mistake the railroad bed, or another side trail in that vicinity, as the AT if one were hiking with head down deep in thought. Perhaps then one might be able to make a concerted effort to mark such a spot in the area in which she went missing. It obviously doesn't happen often here, but for some reason it might have happened in this instance. I know folks have posted that the AT is well marked in this area and I don't doubt that. But once while hiking the 100 mile wilderness I hiked onto a side trail and went about a quarter mile without realizing I was no longer on the AT. I am also an experienced backpacker but I was lost in thought and temporarily not paying attention - not unusual for someone hiking alone. I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I keep coming back to this as a plausible explanation and no one would not want a similar fate for anyone else. Perhaps we could use Gerry's experience to prevent another tragedy.

This thread (now closed) posts 210 and 218 might help:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...n-Maine/page11
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    agree. i still call foul play
    Me too. Makes no sense. Takes weeks to starve to death. Exposure? She had a full kit. Water? In Maine? Get real.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Can someone explain how the ME can know from her cell phone that she left the AT after passing Railroad Rd.? Does your phone determine and retain your GPS locations even if you don't have cell service?

As far as the ME report of "lack of food and water" this makes no sense to me. Hypothermia, yes but not the other causes.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

There was no cell service when I camped there in June 2013. I'm thinking that she may have tried to send a text stating her location or type one up to send later.

Yep, the lack of food and water makes no sense.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Can someone explain how the ME can know from her cell phone that she left the AT after passing Railroad Rd.? Does your phone determine and retain your GPS locations even if you don't have cell service?

As far as the ME report of "lack of food and water" this makes no sense to me. Hypothermia, yes but not the other causes.

thats the part that caught my attention. theyre either making it up/guessing or she left some kind of clues they arent divulging.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Ghost View Post
    There was no cell service when I camped there in June 2013. I'm thinking that she may have tried to send a text stating her location or type one up to send later.

Yep, the lack of food and water makes no sense.
    Text make sense even if it didn't get out.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Add me to those not buying the ME's statement. I doubt we will ever know what really happened to Inchworm.

"Shortly after reaching that intersection, she continued North on the Appalachian Trail and at some point left the trail and became lost. The exact location where she departed the trail is unknown."

The AT doesn't head north at that point, it's oriented E/W. Railroad Rd. heads N/S where the AT crosses Orbeton. So if the
    Maine State Police Computer Crime Lab is assuming that the AT is "north" of Railroad Rd., then yes, maybe she continued north on the AT, otherwise, sounds like she followed Railroad Rd. north.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

I can't begin to go back through this thread from 2013 but does anyone remember the cell phone activity that day? Wasn't there a text sent around 10:30am on Monday? Maybe there was a track recovered from when that was turned on then. And also the mysterious 2:30 pm ping.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Images

To all the doubters...

Look, the Medical Examiner and Wardens seem very confident of their conclusion. Gerry's family seems to agree with the findings. Has it occurred to you that perhaps they have evidence (a journal, phone texts, phone video?) to support this conclusion that they have shared with the family but not with the public out of respect for the deceased?

I am as curious as the next person, but perhaps it is time to put the speculation aside and let the family grieve. In time they may want to share more information, or they may not. Till then, Rest in Peace Geraldine Largay.
    Last edited by imscotty; 10-30-2015 at 21:51.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    "Shortly after reaching that intersection, she continued North on the Appalachian Trail and at some point left the trail and became lost. The exact location where she departed the trail is unknown."

The AT doesn't head north at that point, it's oriented E/W. Railroad Rd. heads N/S where the AT crosses Orbeton. So if the
    Maine State Police Computer Crime Lab is assuming that the AT is "north" of Railroad Rd., then yes, maybe she continued north on the AT, otherwise, sounds like she followed Railroad Rd. north.

hahah maybe theyre using the MATC map.

Images

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all the doubters who are not satisfied with the official story that does satisfy the family. But I am. Conspiracy theories never go away.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    I am as curious as the next person, but perhaps it is time to put the speculation aside and let the family grieve. In time they may want to share more information, or they may not. Till then, Rest in Peace Geraldine Largay.
    The ME's report is a matter of public record. I am sure that those who have been reporting on this in the Boston Globe and elsewhere will bring anything that is noteworthy to the public's attention in time.

I for one give them great credit for sharing their findings so quickly. When long distance section hiker Scott Lilly's partially buried body was found along the AT it took the ME 6 months to the day to report that he had been the victim of a homicide-- and only that quickly because they were required by statute to make their findings public within that time frame.
    Last edited by rickb; 10-31-2015 at 09:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    I find this statement from the article interesting: "The Chief Medical Examiner has determined Largay's death was accidental due to lack of food and water and environmental exposure."

Translation: We have no idea of the cause of death.
    Yup, very odd to say the least.

Page 95 of 134 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++