WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 91 of 134 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 2679

Quote Originally Posted by Starfly View Post
    Interesting. That's right at the site where we found the bones. Ours was about 400 yards off trail and right by the Navy base boundry, a likely spot for surveying. Must have had better eyes than us. Great job!
    What exactly did you find?

3000 ft = 1000 yards.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Map of where remains were found:
    image.jpg

Journal Entries

I'm not sure I can clear much up since there hasn't been much info released. For those asking what my group found = a dozen bones. Evidently human in in close proximity to whatever else was discovered by the 'belongings.' I'm just trying to be informative and not take any kind of credit. Neither I nor the guy that cowboyed up and came with were interested in anything but Inchworm and the family. I'm super relieved she was found. How about all of you? I hope we get to learn the surveyors name. Would love to send him a thank you card! As a side note I have yet to be contacted by IF&W, despite calling them twice, for any info like the pictures I took of evidence, gps coordinates, why I was there, when. Kinda weird but whatever.

Journal Entries

I'll post the gps coordinates tomorrow of exactly where we were standing for what we found. As far as the types of bones or pictures of them I don't think that would be appropriate. According to the facebook map and key and text the surveyors site is 3500 feet east of the pond. Looks to be closer to 2100 feet from the closest spot of the AT, but not sure any of that matters. Pretty tired its been quite the day. Thanks again to all the helped out in this thing.

Journal Entries

Kinda weird but whatever.
    Not necessarilly weird at all. The government has a long history of taking credit for things, and altering truth to avoid what it perceives as public embarassment or being shown as being ineffective.

May not apply here, but it never would surprise me.

Whether you were involved or not, my hats off to you for believing, and caring, enough to search for a fellow missing hiker , even after all the time thats passed.

If i go missing, i want you on the case.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-16-2015 at 23:09.

Second what Muddy waters said.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

I'm not sure I can clear much up since there hasn't been much info released. For those asking what my group found = a dozen bones. Evidently human in in close proximity to whatever else was discovered by the 'belongings.' I'm just trying to be informative and not take any kind of credit. Neither I nor the guy that cowboyed up and came with were interested in anything but Inchworm and the family. I'm super relieved she was found. How about all of you? I hope we get to learn the surveyors name. Would love to send him a thank you card! As a side note I have yet to be contacted by IF&W, despite calling them twice, for any info like the pictures I took of evidence, gps coordinates, why I was there, when. Kinda weird but whatever.

That's nice of you not to take any credit, but keep in mind that there was a large cash reward ($25000) for information resulting in her discovery. You might want to figure out if the person finding her derived the information from your search party -- that way some of the reward could come your way or to the charitable cause of your choice.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    That's nice of you not to take any credit, but keep in mind that there was a large cash reward ($25000) for information resulting in her discovery. You might want to figure out if the person finding her derived the information from your search party -- that way some of the reward could come your way or to the charitable cause of your choice.
    Its a remarkable coincidence.

How did you contact the authorities regarding your find, Starfly?

Journal Entries

Thanks for the compliments guys and Chuck/Muddy. Being a holiday this past Monday, not getting out of the woods until late, in limited cell service, exhausted and not being sure what we found we opted to call IF&W Tuesday morning. I called dispatch, left them a bunch of info like phone etc. I can't remember if I indicated where we were exactly. Told them about the bones. Was told the agent in charge would be calling me. Then Wednesday 'happened.' Its a wild coincidence that after two years and two months nobody finds anything, then two finds in about 24-36 hours apart. Lets just find the silver lining in that it doesn't matter who found her and I wouldn't have taken a dime of reward money if offered. Other than a nagging feeling of being snubbed from the multiple searches and hundreds of hours researching its no big deal. Hope the surveyor tells George to donate some of the reward money to MATC to build a shelter in between Spaulding and the next north bound. Its too big a gap. Put a plaque on it for Inchworm

Thanks for the compliments guys and Chuck/Muddy. Being a holiday this past Monday, not getting out of the woods until late, in limited cell service, exhausted and not being sure what we found we opted to call IF&W Tuesday morning. I called dispatch, left them a bunch of info like phone etc. I can't remember if I indicated where we were exactly. Told them about the bones. Was told the agent in charge would be calling me. Then Wednesday 'happened.' Its a wild coincidence that after two years and two months nobody finds anything, then two finds in about 24-36 hours apart. Lets just find the silver lining in that it doesn't matter who found her and I wouldn't have taken a dime of reward money if offered. Other than a nagging feeling of being snubbed from the multiple searches and hundreds of hours researching its no big deal. Hope the surveyor tells George to donate some of the reward money to MATC to build a shelter in between Spaulding and the next north bound. Its too big a gap. Put a plaque on it for Inchworm
    I don't know about anyone else, but I smell a snake in the grass with whom ever you contacted about your discovery. You should get the credit for this and you should get the money. You can donate it to the AT for the purpose of building a new shelter.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

.If i go missing, i want you on the case. ...... +1
    Last edited by Gonecampn; 10-17-2015 at 12:12.

$ for another shelter as a tribute. Great idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I smell a snake in the grass with whom ever you contacted about your discovery. You should get the credit for this and you should get the money. You can donate it to the AT for the purpose of building a new shelter.
    The timing is quite suspicious. I think at the very least the following should be contacted:

1) The reporter from the Boston Globe (this story may have some legs...)
    2) Maine Warden Service (who did they contact with your tip?)
    3) Largay family, so that no reward is paid yet
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)

[quote name="Hikerhead" post=2012470]I don't know about anyone else, but I smell a snake in the grass with whom ever you contacted about your discovery. You should get the credit for this and you should get the money. You can donate it to the AT for the purpose of building a new shelter.[/QUOTE]<br />
    <br />
    The timing is quite suspicious. I think at the very least the following should be contacted:<br />
    <br />
    1) The reporter from the Boston Globe (this story may have some legs...)<br />
    2) Maine Warden Service (who did they contact with your tip?)<br />
    3) Largay family, so that no reward is paid yet.

Oh stop already. Just what will that accomplish anyway? It may be that the contractor on the Navy side got a message out before Muddy. What are you going to argue "Who's on first"? I hope it all shakes out that the Largay family has closure, all the alien abduction theories crawl back under the rocks where they belong and Muddy and all the outdoor enthusiasts that helped get the recognition _which_ they certainly deserve.

Well, there is a $25,000 reward at stake -- which could be used for Appalachian Trail purposes, or could be used to buy a contractor a nice car. I have already contacted the reporter. She might figure things out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    Well, there is a $25,000 reward at stake -- which could be used for Appalachian Trail purposes, or could be used to buy a contractor a nice car. I have already contacted the reporter. She might figure things out.
    Good job. Sounds like Starfly got the job done. Well done, and may inchworm rest in peace. It would be very nice to see a Geraldine Largay memorial shelter.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Good job. Sounds like Starfly got the job done. Well done, and may inchworm rest in peace. It would be very nice to see a Geraldine Largay memorial shelter.
    Sounds like a US Navy contractor got the job done while working in the field, and that the authorities have not bothered to follow up on the telephone call they got from Starfly reporting a pile of 20 possibly human bones in the same general area.

2010 complete

I'm confused. A pile of bones, or a bones in a sleeping bag/tent?

Page 91 of 134 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 101 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++