WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 39 of 134 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 ... LastLast

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ladydi View Post
    @Pedaling Fool : Well I stand corrected! I thought I remembered something about Turkey Vultures or Black Vultures (which are extending their range northward) going to a large picture of carrion...? Can't remember, but when I speak of Vultures, I'm speaking of the TV and BV which are around here and up into ME. (So often wrong, but never in doubt...) Thanks for information.
    turkey vultures can smell carrion from miles away

Sorry, wrong article...this is a few days old

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    shoulda had highly trained blood hounds from the strart
    I don't understand why they didn't. You know there are trained bloodhounds in Maine.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I just spent an hour or so listening to licensed trapper with Virginia licensed wildlife manager, John Gullion. He listed to me the wildlife in Maine that Inchworm could have encountered. I knew moose and others but was surprised to hear werewolves. It sounds to me like that, if Gerry was frightened off of the trail or even just too modest to pee on the side of the trail, she may have jumped from the frying pan into the fire. There is something to learn from evey mishap. I resolve to step one foot only off trail to pee in the future and only two feet with a trowel otherwise. Please just look the other way. Thanks.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    but was surprised to hear werewolves.
    I hope that is a typo and left out a space between "were" and "wolves" But if you are worried about "werewolves" they are less common than vampires.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

I read in one article that they had bloodhounds the first day but the rain kept them from being able to pick up a scent. No mention of whether they even had anything belonging to inchworm to set the dogs to. Without that they wouldn't do much good I wouldn't think.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

I resolve to step one foot only off trail to pee in the future and only two feet with a trowel otherwise. Please just look the other way. Thanks.
    I had an issue with my daughter going so far off the trail/away from camp she would get lost. Solution --- poncho, it is her rain gear of choice anyway. So if she needs to go to the bathroom or change she just puts on the poncho and does what she needs to under it. She doesn't care in the least if someone sees her and knows that she is peeing as long as they can't see her privates.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I hope that is a typo and left out a space between "were" and "wolves" But if you are worried about "werewolves" they are less common than vampires.
    There's actually a little bit of history with werewolves in Maine, but kind of senseless to bring it into the discussion http://www.syfy.com/paranormalwitness/episodes

I just spent an hour or so listening to licensed trapper with Virginia licensed wildlife manager, John Gullion. He listed to me the wildlife in Maine that Inchworm could have encountered. I knew moose and others but was surprised to hear werewolves. It sounds to me like that, if Gerry was frightened off of the trail or even just too modest to pee on the side of the trail, she may have jumped from the frying pan into the fire. There is something to learn from evey mishap. I resolve to step one foot only off trail to pee in the future and only two feet with a trowel otherwise. Please just look the other way. Thanks.
    This is an alarmist post, not factual and not useful.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

It's a good idea to leave your pack on the trail (same side you're going to) when you step off for a nature call, as much for others as for your own safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    I read in one article that they had bloodhounds the first day but the rain kept them from being able to pick up a scent. No mention of whether they even had anything belonging to inchworm to set the dogs to. Without that they wouldn't do much good I wouldn't think.
    I would be surprised if they didn't have anything that belonged to Inchworm. Her hubby was following her in their car. There must have been lots of things that he could provide with her scent on it. That's too bad about the rain...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    This is an alarmist post, not factual and not useful.
    She may not have intended it to come across that way... IDK.

Bluebearee... I'm so glad you are back home now, safe. Thanks for hiking and sharing your thoughts with us. Still thinking about Inchworm every single day until she is found.

Journal Entries

I had an issue with my daughter going so far off the trail/away from camp she would get lost. Solution --- poncho, it is her rain gear of choice anyway. So if she needs to go to the bathroom or change she just puts on the poncho and does what she needs to under it. She doesn't y care in the least if someone sees her and knows that she is peeing as long as they can't see her privates.
    Yes, Touron, ponchos have many uses, including the one you mentioned. You are a good dad.for thinking not only of the problem but also a good alternative practice. I hope she is lucky enough to be a good listener in turn.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I'm guessing he said "wolverines".
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Journal Entries

I apologize, Bluebearee, if I posted something that the licensed wildlife manager from hereabouts told me during a serious discussion. My first reaction was like yours but then I recalled seeing pictures of wildlife that included werewolves, which seem to have a very imaginative, Halloween-type image as well. Useful? Well, if true, educational. I think that for most of us in our sorrow for Gerry and George and their close friends and the trail itself, this has become a sitting-around-the-campfire time and that we need not jump any of us unless one of us starts putting down another. Whatever we are, we are of the same tribe. We hike this trail; we love this trail; we weep when it gets another blow to its reputation. We feel for George/Gerry/close friends people. Again, sorry, but not retracting because your opinion trumps mine. We respect each other, right?
    --Salaun

Journal Entries

Turtle Feet, you are absolutely right. Thank you for the correction. It surely is easy to get in trouble at times. Wolverines, wolverines, wolverines.
    --Salaun

Yes, Touron, ponchos have many uses, including the one you mentioned. You are a good dad.for thinking not only of the problem but also a good alternative practice. I hope she is lucky enough to be a good listener in turn.
    You give me too much credit.

Truth is we had had many argument/fights over how far she traveled for privacy, and on more than one occasion I threatened to stop taking her hiking or camping. There was not a lot of patience or understanding of the others needs coming from either of us.

Then one fall rainy day when we hiking over some rocky terrain with lots of slippery wet leaves on the side of the trail and some very steep cliffs, I laid down an ultimatum -- she can pee her pants, she can hold it, or she could pee on the side of the trail while me and her brothers looked the other way. But she absolutely was not wondering off. After quite a bit of whining and complaining on her behalf and on the verge of wetting herself, she choose the last option. It was while she was squatting that she realized the poncho worked as the perfect privacy shelter.

She didn't even mention it to me at the time.

I found out the following week when we were on top of Mt. Monadnock. She mentions she needs to pee. I respond that she isn't going to find any place to hide. (If you have ever been up Mt. Monadnock on Saturday during foliage season you know how crowded it is). She pulls her poncho out of her daypack, and does her thing. This was in eye shot of at least 200 people. Four of whom quickly came over begging to borrow it. Yes, she did loan it to the four other ladies in need of relief.

Journal Entries

Wonderful story, Touron. You really are a great dad.

Wolverines, wolverines, wolverines. Werewolves do not exist. See, I learn too.
    --Salaun

Exactly. There is little question in my mind that the right dog could have tracked her. Bloodhounds are highly specialized and some of them can track through a swamp.
    rant- I do have a little problem with the "SAR certified" requirement. Trained dogs need a handler. A SAR handler I presume.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Page 39 of 134 FirstFirst ... 29 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 49 89 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++