WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 15 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nu2hike View Post
    HikerMom thank you for sharing that with us!
    You are more than welcome nu2hike!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Just found this.. thought it was very touching. I wanted to share....http://blueridgehikingco.com/gerry/
    thank you! I don't think we always realize the worry and anxiety our loved ones have when we are away. I sent the link to my wife and thanked her for always supporting me. I've not posted in this thread until now, but Gerry and her family have been and will continue to be in my prayers. My heart aches for them - no other way to say it.
    Biggie

Yes, HikerMom, I'm so glad you posted this link. Jennifer shares so beautifully from her heart.

Journal Entries

Very disheartening

I have to agree, something seems not right now.

When an acorn falls, it lands under the tree.

There is always the possibility of getting adled, and wandering far off trail. It just doesnt seem likely.

Hopefully she will just walk out if the woods soon and wonder why everyone is making such a big fuss. But to us at least foul play is probable and I think Lone Wolf nailed it. Btw my better half told me someone from law often checks in on pages like this as sometimes sickos who commit crimes like to interact with the story as it unfolds. I wonder if that is talking place here, and which department.

It can't hurt for all of us to hold the good thoughts. Perhaps it will help...

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    I am not familiar with that area at all -- what is it about Caribou Valley Rd that makes you think that?
    LE and SAR personnel received information from other hikers that indicated she hadn't even reached Spaulding Mt LT which means she didn't descend the back of Sugarloaf or come close to Caribou Valley Rd. Lone Mt area was apparently last known sighting.

QH Showoman: it's the only driveable road in the section from Rte 4 to 27 that crosses the Trail.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i'm thinkin' she may have run into some trouble at caribou valley road. maybe abducted or something
    It is possibly they are wrong, but every authority I met between 27 and Piazza Rock stated that they did not believe she made it to Spaulding. I kept suggesting that if she made it to Sugarloaf, there were many places a hiker could fall and end up far from the trail in very dense fir trees. I was interrupted almost every time with a "we don't believe she made it that far". Caribou Valley Road comes after Sugarloaf.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Well if she never made it to Spaulding Mnt Lean-to, as the phantom caller to the Stratton motel suggested, she got lost on the trail, which more than likely leaves an abduction out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Moments like this should give us all pause. As I pray for Gerry and most especially her friends and family, I think of the times I have taken to the trail without thought of the concern and worry I give to others. It does not mean that I will give up hiking, but it does mean that I will heed their concern and use every caution I can so as to allay the fears of those I love and who love me.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boots View Post
    Moments like this should give us all pause. As I pray for Gerry and most especially her friends and family, I think of the times I have taken to the trail without thought of the concern and worry I give to others. It does not mean that I will give up hiking, but it does mean that I will heed their concern and use every caution I can so as to allay the fears of those I love and who love me.
    Agreed. This is a teachable moment. The concerns my wife had made me hike safer than I would have if she did not have those concerns. Her concerns and my sister's concerns were the reason I hiked with my brother-in-law. Neither wanted us to hike alone and we would have had a big battle if either of us decided to ignore those concerns.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

This is an intriguing story. I hope she is found and safe. I hope this thread stays open as it has been very informative and allows hikers with first hand experience of the area to share.

at this point, i think prayer may be all that is left. where ever inchworm is, i pray G_d is walking with her.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Just found this.. thought it was very touching. I wanted to share....http://blueridgehikingco.com/gerry/
    That's a superb post, HikerMom, I'm thankful you shared it. Jen's such a fine person, so kind of heart, generous of spirit. Her feelings and all ours, our best wishes are with inchworm, her husband and those near and dear to them.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

When will more news come out from the authorities?

Images

Does anyone know if Inchworm posted a trail journal? I believe I met her down south last year at a shelter and offered her a ride into town, but she told me her husband was meeting her at the trail head. Her picture looks like the lady I met. Very sweet and friendly.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    LE and SAR personnel received information from other hikers that indicated she hadn't even reached Spaulding Mt LT which means she didn't descend the back of Sugarloaf or come close to Caribou Valley Rd. Lone Mt area was apparently last known sighting.

QH Showoman: it's the only driveable road in the section from Rte 4 to 27 that crosses the Trail.
    There is a dirt road between the two shelters. It took us an hour to drive the road to get to the AT. I keep thinking that she took this road, but I don't know why. The female caller to the motel is confusing.

2010 complete

The road is Perham Stream Road. Here are the directions. I felt lost just driving it.

1) From intersection of ME 16/27/142 in Kingfield take ME 142 southwest 12.7 miles.
    2) Look for East Madrid Road (signed & paved) on right. Sign there is for (Hot Mix Plant).
    3) 1.0 miles from there pavement ends & 1.9 miles pavement resumes.
    4) 2.1 4-way intersection (crossroad) continue straight. Junction with Bray Hill Road.
    5) 3.0 pavement ends again.
    6) 4.5 cross bridge near houses. Just beyond, road becomes a little rough going up hill to left.
    7) 5.3 cross roads with fences on far side of intersection. (plenty of posted signs at intersection) - make right. Rough narrow road from here.
    8) 5.7 rotted bridge and I was not sure I could trust it but asked around and they assured me the bridge was OK and safe to cross.
    9) 6.9 green gate on right
    10) 7.5 bridge over stream. Make immediate left at fork after bridge. Many snowmobile trail signs at intersection
    11) 7.7 & 7.8 cross rough gullys
    12) 8.0 another fork after another bridge - bear left.
    13) 8.3 junction on left - stay straight
    14) 9.2 fork again - stay left.
    15) 10.7 cross AT, Perham Stream bridge & parking on left.

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    There is a dirt road between the two shelters.
    yeah it's a few miles north of poplar ridge lean-to

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    There is a dirt road between the two shelters. It took us an hour to drive the road to get to the AT. I keep thinking that she took this road, but I don't know why. The female caller to the motel is confusing.
    The "female caller" was a ruse. The call happen, for sure, but the caller told a outright lie.

Find the caller and they'll be on their way to solving this case.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Page 15 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++