WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast

From a standpoint as a thru hiker in 72-73, I spent many a mile searching for the trail, needless to say that particular section is an a... kicker
    I've lived and continued to hike in Maine, also surveyed as a living for up here, it can be unforgiving, espically if the Mt. tops are socked in with fog.
    I still get lost occasionally for a few hours.
    anyway she sounds tough
    godspeed

Quote Originally Posted by muddy boots View Post
    Does anyone have pictures of the area of trail they are talking about? Have searched the internet and couldn’t find any. I met Inchworm on the AT in NH. She was fit and capable and interesting to talk to, and having a heck of a good time out there. Have been following this since she went missing and hoping and praying for a good outcome.
    Look at Google Earth. You can check out Sugarloaf cirque easily, and see the trail as it tiptoes along the top and side. It's an intense part of the trail that for some reason doesn't get a lot of press. Until now... unfortunately. I'd think someone would have some photos of climbing Crocker Cirque (across Caribou Valley Rd past the Carrabassett Stream crossing). Other than that, just typical Maine rocks and roots. The rest of the Crockers are not anything special. The areas of concern would definitely be descending Sugarloaf, crossing the stream and climbing South Crocker talus field.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Cpl. John MacDonald said in an email Friday that wardens are no longer seeking the woman who called the motel to say she and 'Inchworm,' Largay's trail name, had both spent Tuesday night in the Spaulding Mountain lean-to.
    Which raises more questions than it answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    Look at Google Earth. You can check out Sugarloaf cirque easily, and see the trail as it tiptoes along the top and side. It's an intense part of the trail...
    South Branch of the Carabassett River right before the Caribou Pond Rd. (Caribou Pond rd in guides)

Capture.JPG

a bigger picture

Capture1.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Which raises more questions than it answers.
    I know, Sly. I think the new conference that may take place tomorrow should help clear things up... maybe!

I feel soo bad for the family!!

i don't see any mention of search dogs

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/I...ers-alike.html

I can't get this story out of my mind and am still hoping for a positive outcome. It could have been any of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i don't see any mention of search dogs
    I actually thought about that too, Lone Wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bear View Post
    LARGAY SEARCH UPDATE
    Monday, July 29, 2013: The search continues today for Geraldine Largay. Several search assignments have been completed which are contained within two points on the AT. Several more assignments will be given today as well. The high probability search area is approximately eight miles on the AT and begins about one-half mile south of the Caribou Valley Road and extends south to Route 27, near Rangeley. The search area encompasses roughly 81 square miles. Weather conditions are cloudy this morning with a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. It is unlikely aircraft will be utilized today.

Largay search log to date in miles:
    Canine teams - 56.2 miles
    Hasty/Grid Teams (ground searchers) – 300.2 Miles
    Horse Teams – 26.9
    Aircraft/Helicopter – 338

Approximately 30 searchers will be out today to include Maine Game Wardens , Mahoosuc SAR, US Border Patrol, and the Maine Forest Service. Those with any information should call the Maine State Police Communications Center in Augusta at (207) 624-7076 or 1-800-452-4664 (Maine only).

Dogs 56 miles but this is an old post

Thanks Bluebearee and Sly. Looks like there are at least 3 places the trail is on the edge. Wet slate isn't fun.

Images

First time I've heard this! Inchworm started out at Harper's Ferry with a hiking partner! They hiked all the way to New Hampshire together when her partner had to leave the trail for family reasons. Boy does she feel guilty! I'm sure she's thinking, "if only I had still been with her" She just returned to the trail to try and find her. She knows how she hikes.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/25...d-until-Sunday
    I've lived too long to care what others think about me

Images

This is the latest I've seen, although very brief and doesn't say anything new (~1:13). Any word on the news conference? My parents moved to Maine this summer and said the story has been all over the local news, but they aren't home today so they couldn't offer any updates.

http://www.wmtw.com/news/maine/wmtw-...2/-/index.html
    ~Trudging the road of happy destiny~

Images

Updated at 1PM. It says if she is not found by tonight, they will re-evaluate the search effort. Continuing to pray and hope...

http://www.wmtw.com/news/maine/appal...z/-/index.html

2010 complete

This is a good representation of the timeline of events.

2010 complete

just that they are now going to conduct a grid search as opposed to a hasty search. I also read that lost hikers are typically found within 48 hours. I still think that she may be on that logging road between the two shelters.

Images

I'm getting confused, but I see that she never made it to the Spaulding LT--didn't the mystery caller say she had stayed with Inchworm there? I really want to know why they stopped looking for the caller.

Images

Default Unknown hiker

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    See http://www.kjonline.com/news/Search-...s-7th-day.html

"While MacDonald said search crews continue to work with hikers on the trail, no contact has been made with a hiker who said she saw Largay last Tuesday night.

The Maine Warden Service said the female hiker, whose name they don't know, called the Stratton Motel, where Largay's husband George was staying, and said that she was traveling in the opposite direction as Largay and they both spent last Tuesday night the Spaulding Mountain lean-to."
    I would think it would not be hard for the searchers to get the phone records for the motel that day and find out who made the call. Not up on all these new phones, but don't they have a GPS chip built in so the last location used can be located? Still holding for a positive outcome.

Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 61 111 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++