WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 108 of 134 FirstFirst ... 8 58 98 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2679

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Source? Ten characters
    Where is the report. Do you have a link?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This is somewhat interesting I think (from the State of Maine AG, Chief Medical Examiners Office Web site):
    "What happens to personal property?

When an autopsy will not be performed, the personal property on the deceased at the time of death is normally removed and released to the family or law enforcement. If an autopsy is performed, the personal property will be transported to the OCME along with the deceased and are typically released with the deceased to the funeral home following the autopsy. In certain instances involving potential criminal conduct the personal effects may be considered "evidence" and are turned over to the investigating law enforcement agency.

How can I obtain an autopsy report?

Following autopsy, a final report will not be available until all diagnostic testing is complete. Typically this requires several weeks; in some cases it may be a month or longer. Autopsy reports, except in cases of homicides, may be requested by the next-of-kin. Under Maine law, the next-of-kin is defined as; partner, adult child, parent, adult sibling (in order of priority). Requests for reports can be faxed or mailed to the OCME and should include the following information: 1. The name of the deceased 2. The date of death 3. The requestor's full name, address and relationship to the deceased. All reports are mailed by the OCME and cannot be faxed."
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    She was found in her sleeping bag outside of her zipped up tent.
    It helps to read the actual report.
    Just lazy reporting.
    Where did you find the actual report?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Hard to believe dogs didn't get any scent....wonder if that safety whistle was still clipped to the Ula park she's pictured with? Sad but strange.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Tent and sleeping bag wont stop smell, at all, to a dog

A corpse is not exactly....a mild odor either.

Cadaver dogs have identified gravesites up to 1000 years old.

But you have to be downwind to pick up a scent, and looking in the right area to start with.

Very sad to know she was there long enough to make camp. Still leaves questions though.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-28-2016 at 22:05.

On the original thread somebody reported that she was in her sleeping bag OUTSIDE the tent. Wonder which is correct?

The question that still burns in my mind is was she camped in that very spot during the entire time the search was going on or was she on the move? Only her diary can answer that question.

Chris Busby, all all who helped and enabled him, are ghouls dancing on a good person's grave squealing 'look at me! look at me!'
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

This article has a lot more details: http://www.pressherald.com/2016/01/2...g-inside-tent/

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    This article has a lot more details: http://www.pressherald.com/2016/01/2...g-inside-tent/
    Yes it does and finally answers some of my questions. But I still ask why this information wasn't made public immediately after she was found? Why dodge the question about her sleeping bag and/or tent at the press conference? I still have questions. Did she really just get lost and stay absolutely put for her remaining days? Not blowing that whistle not looking for water? You can live for weeks without food, but not water. She had just crossed Orbeton Stream surely she would realize she was still close to water.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Well, that Press Herald reads, for me, as the definitive discription of the circumstances and the map also puts her final location in context.
    We may never know why or how it happened that she got off the trail but that account ties up the loose ends for me. Why wasn't it public? Respect for privacy I'd have to say.
    As for getting lost on an AT hike I think we can all relate to that. Raise your hand if you've never, ever been confused on the AT ... I thought so.
    It's happened to me - got up in the AM and retraced yesterday's inbound route by mistake until I'm fully functional ☺ and got off track when the blazes were obscured or less frequent than optional. And that's why I'm hoping Starfly comes through with pictures - I'd like to see what the immediate environs at those footpath crossings look like.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    .............Did she really just get lost and stay absolutely put for her remaining days? Not blowing that whistle not looking for water? You can live for weeks without food, but not water. She had just crossed Orbeton Stream surely she would realize she was still close to water.
    Here is a quote from an article on lost person behavior. William Syrotuck is an expert in search and rescue and how people behave when they are lost. "Syrotuck reported that half of all persons who died while lost in the wilderness were dead within the first 24 hours, 74 percent were dead the second day, and 92 percent had died by the end of the third day" Inchworm went missing on July 22 and was reported missing on July 24. The odds are she had already passed by the time the search for her got started.
    Last edited by TexasBob; 01-30-2016 at 10:44.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

She did the right thing in that she stayed put once she was lost. Unfortunately in her case she wasn't found in time. RIP Gerry.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Decibel View Post
    She did the right thing in that she stayed put once she was lost. Unfortunately in her case she wasn't found in time. RIP Gerry.
    this is all speculation of course but my reading of the situation is that she wasnt just sitting there the whole time. if she had broken something or been injured, presumably the ME would know, if she suffered a heart attack or a stroke she wouldnt have been able to make camp most likely. i think she wandered for days and just ended up there, nearly back on the trail. maybe on her last day she stumbled upon the tote road and was wisely following ti to see where it would take her when she finally couldnt go on.

She had energy to build a sleeping platform from dirt and pine needles. That took presence of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Where did you find the actual report?
    Still waiting for Don H to answer this question!

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    She was found in her sleeping bag outside of her zipped up tent.
    It helps to read the actual report.
    Just lazy reporting.
    Don H, where is the report? Nobody but you has made this claim.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Read the Press Herald article linked above.
    "Stain evidence in the tent under where the sleeping bag had been showed she had died in the tent. It was zipped, but had been torn by animals and the sleeping bag had been dragged out after her death, the report said."
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

The report is prominently linked in the Portland Press Herald story linked above - not exactly hard to locate. For those that missed it:

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/01/2...tent/document/

++ New Posts ++