WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 105 of 134 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2679

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Muddy,

They sounded very confident in their findings. The family sounded very confident in their findings. It suggests to me that they do have corroborating evidence and that it is not being released out of sensitivity to the family. Understandable I think.

I rather think there are enough that care, that under the freedom of information act (she was on government property) , and Maines freedom of access act, that details of the investigation findings would be revealed, or will be revealed at some point , if there are any.

There is nothing to be "sensitive" about. Its a matter of public record when unwitnessed deaths occur on public land.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I rather think there are enough that care, that under the freedom of information act (she was on government property) , and Maines freedom of access act, that details of the investigation findings would be revealed, or will be revealed at some point , if there are any.

There is nothing to be "sensitive" about. Its a matter of public record when unwitnessed deaths occur on public land.
    If the investtigation is still open they do not have to release any in formation under any act.

Reading the Bollard article it struck me that Mr. Busby is likely not a backpacker nor has he ever been seriously lost in the wilderness. While I don't really buy the idea she wandered for days and succumbed to lack of food and water, I do think it's very likely she simply got off trail by accident, wandered in an attempt to relocate the trail, and then suffered some injury - ruptured achilles, sprained ankle, etc. - that would have debilitated her further. Stress, confusion, injury could then facilitate hypothermia perhaps the day after she vanished. Just because she had the ability to keep dry, light a fire, even use her whistle, it does not mean any of these things would necessarily have occurred to her: Once you realize you are lost you can become panicked and irrational which can lead to poor decisions and the inability to think clearly or plan ahead. I think the inclement weather the day after she became lost is very telling. Also, in reference to her hiking experience, if I recall correctly from earlier posts, she hiked much of the AT with a companion. Hiking alone is very different as you can become self-absorbed and inadvertently make mistakes - such as following a wrong trail for a prolonged period of time. Lost -> panicked -> injury -> hypothermia - seems a very likely scenario to me. I agree the military conspiracy is a big stretch and un-necessary given the perfectly plausible scenario I just outlined. In cases like these we often learn of additional information long after the fact once the family is comfortable with releasing that information. Perhaps some day we will learn of additional clues to her fate that will help us (the backpacking community) more clearly understand what happened (text messages she might have sent, etc.).
    "To take risks is to live, to be always safe and secure is certain death" - Edward Abbey

Does anyone know if there is cell service where she was found?...
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post

know? no. but i would guess its extremely unlikely. ive never tried a cell in that exact spot or seen anyone else do so (who has?) but that region, and the state of maine in general (at least in terms of AT hiking), is not exactly known for great cell coverage. unless youre up high (she wasnt) spots where there is reception is probably more rare than spots where there is not.

I think that if the family is satisfied with the findings, we should be as well. She might have written a note or left a cell text or who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I think that if the family is satisfied with the findings, we should be as well. She might have written a note or left a cell text or who knows?

The Ramsey family is satisfied with the findings and I still want to know what really happened to JonBenet. Just sayin'...
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Her cell phone pinged only one cell tower (I believe it was on Monday the day she got lost) and they were unable triangulate her position because of that. Where she was found was just on the edge of the service area of that one tower.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries

There is another article coming out from a source most would consider professional journalism and its looking like it will be quite thorough. Probably the Bollard will continue to write a few more articles too, hopefully leaving the SERE community alone for soooo many reasons. Important to note that even if a last message or journal entry was left, that is not something that will be released as its exempt from the freedom of information act. And I think its unlikely the Largay family will release anything and I understand that as near as I can. You can received text in this area quite well, theres a small possibility but imo remote that you can get a message out, and I think zero chance of anything else like an actual call. She had a tent, we know that, probably an obi 2. We don't know if she was in it but eventually we'll find out. My educated guess is that likely she was and it collapsed over the years. Good to have you posting Gambit I haven't seen you previously I don't think. Most of this forum is speculation but there's definitely logical speculation and fantasy, with shades of grey in-between. Madthrush you're pretty spot on. She was found near the tote road which is probably the most obvious path to cause someone to venture off the AT (so actually the bollard has it right here sorry Don). The rest of the evidence or lack thereof points to something short and not something drawn out...but we'll see from future articles. BTW the IF&W is taking their time to release anything despite the many requests. It could take months or more......they know future articles are going to make them look bad for a variety of reasons so they'll just wait us all out.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I don't discount the possibility that she took the old tote road shown on the topo maps, that's quite possible. I just pointed out two facts about that; First, that others here have said those old trails shown on the topo maps are years old and probably don't even exist any longer. Second, I don't recall any unmarked side trails in that section. But the question that comes to my mind is how would one turn off the well marked and defined AT and mistake an overgrown, unmarked, possible nonexistent trail as the AT. Instead it would be more likely that you would make a wrong turn at a trail intersection with a very obvious woods road especially when your trail guide tells you "NOBO: turn east on road" (2013 AT Guide).

As far as cell service from that area, I fired up my old cell phone which has all my text messages from my thru in 2011 and I did not get a text out the night I camped at the AT / Railroad Rd intersection. Now Gerry was found further up the hill so maybe that makes a difference.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Starfly View Post
    There is another article coming out from a source most would consider professional journalism and its looking like it will be quite thorough.
    Name it. Cite your source. How do you know what it's "looking like"?
    BTW the IF&W is taking their time to release anything despite the many requests. It could take months or more......they know future articles are going to make them look bad for a variety of reasons so they'll just wait us all out.
    Be specific. Cite your source. How do you know "they know future articles are going to make them look bad"? Name the "variety of reasons". Be specific. Cite your source. "so they'll just wait us all out."? Who told you that? "Wait us out" over what?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Name it. Cite your source. How do you know what it's "looking like"?

Be specific. Cite your source. How do you know "they know future articles are going to make them look bad"? Name the "variety of reasons". Be specific. Cite your source. "so they'll just wait us all out."? Who told you that? "Wait us out" over what?
    I tend to agree with this. The thread doesn't nor did it ever need sensastionlization...if that's a word.

-

Be specific. Cite your source. ?
    excellent advice -for yourself

in my" new rule at BSP " thread you called me FOS - I cited my source
    your source was "I just know"
    did you ever check the facts? - didn't think so, because even as you wrote your smug post, you knew who was really FOS - obviously you are not truly interested in "facts"

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    in my" new rule at BSP " thread you called me FOS
    I most certainly did not use the term FOS.
    There was no change to the rules about reserving a spot at the Birches made in mid-season.
    The rules at Baxter are simple and straightforward, it's the Abol Trail Steward's job to explain/enforce them.
    If you, or anyone, has questions about the rules I encourage you to call HQ at (207) 723-5140. They open Monday at 8.
    If you want to reopen your thread, please do so. This thread is not about you.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

-

not about me, about hypocrisy

again, I cited my source

your source??

again you have the # and called me out for false info - but you never checked did you?

Journal Entries

TJ and rocket you're both really aggressive on here for no real reason. Could you lighten up some please? This thread is full of good-natured people. All will be revealed in time I'm sure. Have a good one.
    I don't discount the possibility that she took the old tote road shown on the topo maps, that's quite possible. I just pointed out two facts about that; First, that others here have said those old trails shown on the topo maps are years old and probably don't even exist any longer. Second, I don't recall any unmarked side trails in that section. But the question that comes to my mind is how would one turn off the well marked and defined AT and mistake an overgrown, unmarked, possible nonexistent trail as the AT. Instead it would be more likely that you would make a wrong turn at a trail intersection with a very obvious woods road especially when your trail guide tells you "NOBO: turn east on road" (2013 AT Guide
    ).
    Ya Don its a tough one I dunno. Could be she followed the boundry line off rr road, or the tote road off the AT. Or somehow both played a part as she was lost...or neither. The AT rr road intersection is puzzling.

TJ and rocket you're both really aggressive on here for no real reason. Could you lighten up some please? This thread is full of good-natured people. All will be revealed in time I'm sure. Have a good one.
    ).[/COLOR]
    Ya Don its a tough one I dunno. Could be she followed the boundry line off rr road, or the tote road off the AT. Or somehow both played a part as she was lost...or neither. The AT rr road intersection is puzzling.
    if by aggressive ya mean brutally honest, then okay, call me aggressive. Quit dangling a mad dog carrot. There is an old saying..."let the news make the news" get it.

Starfly, your repeated 'I know something secret about Inchworm' claims are ghoulish.
    Teej

Journal Entries

Well, I answered 5 or 6 specific questions in my second to last post that covered much of the last two pages. I'm sorry if that information sharing constituted ghoulish behavior by your darker standards. You could perhaps go for a hike, take in some fresh mountain air. Relax and enjoy life. Set yourself free for your negative outlook. Be happy. Peace

Starfly, your repeated 'I know something secret about Inchworm' claims are ghoulish.
    TJ I respectively say that if all 5175 of your posts are as negative as what I have read here then you sir, must be miserable. You had me at the "pimping out" comments a few days ago, now I feel like I'm in a court room when you explain yourself. IMO your not really helping the thread.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 12-14-2015 at 09:55.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

++ New Posts ++