WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 104 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2679

Quote Originally Posted by timeless_man View Post
    I've just been informed that MASAR, and all MASAR volunteers have been told to direct any further questions from the press to the Maine Warden Service.
    Nonsense. MASAR doesn't report to the Wardens, and the Maine State Police are the agency with ultimate control.
    Just more BS from the same debunked source.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    And of course the whole SERE conspiracy thing is over the top in my opinion. [/SIZE]
    This new user is just pimping links to their own product. Ghoulish attempt to sensationalize a tragedy and profit from it.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

Its not unusual to leave cases open when details arent known. Dont know if true, but even if so, it means absolutely nothing. Cases can be open forever.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I'm hoping a real journalist will dig into this, get the facts, publish a substantial piece and finally get the facts out.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

I'm hoping a real journalist will dig into this, get the facts, publish a substantial piece and finally get the facts out.
    Don H I found this very informative have you read it?

http://thebollard.com/2015/12/03/m-i...-a-t-survival/
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Don H I found this very informative have you read it?

http://thebollard.com/2015/12/03/m-i...-a-t-survival/
    That link was being pimped by it's author just a few posts ago.
    Not a real journalist. Just a blogger pimping his anti-military conspiracy theory.
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    That link was being pimped by it's author just a few posts ago.
    Not a real journalist. Just a blogger pimping his anti-military conspiracy theory.
    Why would we be using the word pimp so much?

I thought that it was an informative article and I learned a lot of the facts about the issue. I don't recall reading a single opinion in the story...
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 12-10-2015 at 11:28. Reason: Removed lol, doesnt belong in a thread like this

Why would we be using the word pimp so much?

I thought that it was an informative article and I learned a lot of the facts about the issue. I don't recall reading a single opinion in the story...
    Read the July speculation piece and see if anything looks/sounds familiar. It did to be inside of the first few minutes and seemed to be more of the same conspiracy buff blog stuff.

I don't know if it was on this thread, but it I remember reading of what I thought to be comments that more or less stated that having theory of foul play was uncouth?

I understand and absolutely hate reading the "aliens" posts, how damn rude.

But I don't believe foul play to be out of the question, military base or no base. It is plausible.

I don't know if it was on this thread, but it I remember reading of what I thought to be comments that more or less stated that having theory of foul play was uncouth?

But I don't believe foul play to be out of the question, military base or no base. It is plausible.
    Without any evidence of that, its speculation, which is the basis for the Bollard conjecture piece.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Without any evidence of that, its speculation, which is the basis for the Bollard conjecture piece.
    Is speculation considered disrespectful? I believe that being found as far from the trail as she was, basis enough for the mind to wonder...BUT I am not wanting to start an argument by any means, more so then anything answer the question on if speculation is disrespectful

Images

Is speculation considered disrespectful? I believe that being found as far from the trail as she was, basis enough for the mind to wonder...BUT I am not wanting to start an argument by any means, more so then anything answer the question on if speculation is disrespectful
    Yes, I believe that on this public board, which Geraldine's family and loved ones may come to one day to read, some of the speculation has been disrespectful. In this case I think it would be wise to hold back on some of the speculation, much of which is probably untrue, and certainly would be hurtful for her loved ones to consider. Some things are better left to discuss in a more private forum.

Have to agree with Imscotty, speculation fueled by bloggers are one thing, here is quite another. There will likely be many articles of conjecture of conspiracies like the Bollard publishes, these type of events can act like a magnet for them.

On a positive note, Inchworm does have a trail legacy that will impact hikers for a long time to come. Hypothermia is not something we tend to think about in mid summer. Her story brings increases awareness of exposure during summer in the mountains and will probably save more than a few folks as time passes.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Yes, I believe that on this public board, which Geraldine's family and loved ones may come to one day to read, some of the speculation has been disrespectful. In this case I think it would be wise to hold back on some of the speculation, much of which is probably untrue, and certainly would be hurtful for her loved ones to consider. Some things are better left to discuss in a more private forum.
    Well put, Last thing we would want to do is be disrespectful to her family and friends.

Although I did not know her, we are both from the same town in Tennessee.

The problem with that author along with Hutch Brown's (Especially Hutch Brown) article is that they make too many conspiracy accusations against the military, specifically this "secret base", which really isn't a secret. Also calling it a torture school was way over the top, those things don't happen there.

On the flip side, it does seem like the other author (Chris Busby) is looking more into this, will have to wait and see if he applies some hard-nose journalism to this story or gets crazy again with the military conspiracy talk, which is just as crazy as talking about aliens in this story -- I'm not holding out too much hope, but we'll see. See here: http://chrisbusby.bangordailynews.co...ires-sere-ial/

We already know the facts. She got hypothermia in the rain, wandered off the AT, and detoured onto the big trail in the sky. End of story. A rare, but not an unheard of, thing to happen. Why make it any more complicated then that? Could happen to any of us, and some of us have come darn close to having it happen to us a time or two.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    We already know the facts. She got hypothermia in the rain, wandered off the AT, and detoured onto the big trail in the sky. End of story. A rare, but not an unheard of, thing to happen. Why make it any more complicated then that? Could happen to any of us, and some of us have come darn close to having it happen to us a time or two.

you know she got hypothermia in the rain how exactly? and this happened BEFORE she wandered off?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Even the idea she died of hypothermia, aggravated by lack of food and water, unless she had messages written or in her phone, is likely 100% speculation and conjecture.

If there was any corroborating evidence, I dont recall it being either released, or even alluded to.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-10-2015 at 18:53.

Images

Muddy,

They sounded very confident in their findings. The family sounded very confident in their findings. It suggests to me that they do have corroborating evidence and that it is not being released out of sensitivity to the family. Understandable I think.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Muddy,

They sounded very confident in their findings. The family sounded very confident in their findings. It suggests to me that they do have corroborating evidence and that it is not being released out of sensitivity to the family. Understandable I think.
    I agree with you.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

++ New Posts ++