WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 103 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2679
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Madthrush View Post
    This map seems to show that she was found very close to a trail that intersects with the AT north of the RR bed. Could that have been the point she left the trail? Is anyone familiar with that intersection?
    i was sort of wondering what that was too. i wonder if it isnt actually a trail but is some other sort of indication. i was just there in july and dont recall any such trail, but more so, if there was a trail as well established as this map seems to imply there, and if she was literally right on said trail, as map seems to show she very nearly was, well, youd have to think shed have been found sooner.

Most of the USGS topo maps in that area where published in the 1950's and '60's. Most unused trails shown on them are most likely long overgrown or obscured by timber harvesting.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Ghost View Post
    Most of the USGS topo maps in that area where published in the 1950's and '60's. Most unused trails shown on them are most likely long overgrown or obscured by timber harvesting.
    makes sense. i wish i could say i was surprised they hadnt been updated in so long, but...

i do wonder though if perhaps someone who is already lost might stumble upon some remnant of some long ago trail, mostly faded, but lets say still apparent and easily seen for a short distance, maybe 1/2 or 1/4 of a mile, just kind of out in the middle of nowhere with both ends not really leading to anywhere, but rather dead ending at nothing but forest at either end. such a thing could prove troublesome to a lost person who stumbled upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i was sort of wondering what that was too. i wonder if it isnt actually a trail but is some other sort of indication. i was just there in july and dont recall any such trail, but more so, if there was a trail as well established as this map seems to imply there, and if she was literally right on said trail, as map seems to show she very nearly was, well, youd have to think shed have been found sooner.
    If you look closely at this map and zoom in on the area where Inchworm was found, it doesn't appear that those other trails marked on the map match-up well with where the searchers looked. That leads me to think the trails must be old and overgrown otherwise the search team would have followed them and searched them.

http://www.caltopo.com/m/H3NN

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    If you look closely at this map and zoom in on the area where Inchworm was found, it doesn't appear that those other trails marked on the map match-up well with where the searchers looked. That leads me to think the trails must be old and overgrown otherwise the search team would have followed them and searched them.

http://www.caltopo.com/m/H3NN

good point. i had looked at that map but hadnt noticed. the searchers do seem to have paralleled that "trail" and even crossed it. if on the ground it were still an actual trail then i agree, someone probably would have followed it as part of the search.

seems to me like maps for that area are on overall all around sketchy proposition.

Curious - was the AT moved south from the position shown on the TOPO maps to the current track when the SERE facility was opened in 1961?

Journal Entries

VA - I believe the AT was relocated in two separate places, one of which was along the railroad road corridor I think. I haven't been able to establish where mostly because I abandoned the need to two years ago. As Gray Ghost wisely says, the trail junctions themselves could not be mistaken for the actual AT. If relocated from the north to the south where it is now due to the Navy base, there would not be a trace of the trail left after 50+ years. If it was relocated from the south to the north to where the AT is now, it likely wouldn't have played a role as she would have to cross the AT or RR road to get where she were found. Dunno if any MATC members post on here but that's all I have. Anyway, the loggin road spurs off the AT NB from RR road probably are the more prime spots to leave the AT, not the old growth areas on RR road that several are talking about. Also, she was found in the Navy base and because of that there would be zero forestry roads in this spot for at least 50 plus years. Gray Ghost could be right that old usgs mapping hasn't been updated in decades. But if that's the case, why ponder it? Speculating that she followed a disused path that we're speculating even exists isn't going to get us too far, no pun intended.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starfly View Post
    VA - I believe the AT was relocated in two separate places, one of which was along the railroad road corridor I think. I haven't been able to establish where mostly because I abandoned the need to two years ago. As Gray Ghost wisely says, the trail junctions themselves could not be mistaken for the actual AT. If relocated from the north to the south where it is now due to the Navy base, there would not be a trace of the trail left after 50+ years. If it was relocated from the south to the north to where the AT is now, it likely wouldn't have played a role as she would have to cross the AT or RR road to get where she were found. Dunno if any MATC members post on here but that's all I have. Anyway, the loggin road spurs off the AT NB from RR road probably are the more prime spots to leave the AT, not the old growth areas on RR road that several are talking about. Also, she was found in the Navy base and because of that there would be zero forestry roads in this spot for at least 50 plus years. Gray Ghost could be right that old usgs mapping hasn't been updated in decades. But if that's the case, why ponder it? Speculating that she followed a disused path that we're speculating even exists isn't going to get us too far, no pun intended.
    theres an old section of trail in NY that was relocated due to an issue with a nearby military base. you are now allowed to hike there again, though the trail has not been relocated. you though, easily find the old trail and plenty of blazes. ive also heard that the reroute on bear mountain will reuse an old section of trail that still had some blazes left on it although it hadnt been used in forever. not saying this is for sure the case up there, but the passage of time shouldnt be assumed to completely erase the old trail.

Images

. . . . And possibly the picture file size is too large and haven't the foggiest idea how I'd reduce its size. . . .
    If the photos are too large, do a "screen capture" of each of photo:
    - Open photo
    - If you have a Mac, (1) on your keyboard press the buttons "Command" and "Shift" and "4" simulatenously, (2) your cursor will be converted to a crosshairs image, (3) move the crosshairs to the top left corner of the photo, (4) press down on your mouse and drag the cross hairs to the bottom right corner, (5) release your finger from the mouse, (6) a "Screen Shot xxxx.png" file will appear on your desktop. (7) Now you can upload this file.
    - If you have a PC, (1) I think there's a "PrtScn" (print screen) button on your keyboard, if not (2) here are instructions: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...reen=windows-8. (3) Once you have the photos as .png or .jpeg files, you can upload them.

OR:
    - Open each photo
    - "Save As" or "Export" as a jpeg or png file

Journal Entries

Thanks Acacia I'm working on it now. See if I can get some pictures posted. Good point tdoczi. Hard to say whats left of the trails up here or anywhere. Has anyone hiked up the AT in the railroad road area this year?

Nobody's commented on these? What's the story? Where are these - or are they same cross and memorial? Who put them there - did the family come back up to Maine to see the site where she was found?
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Images

Thanks Acacia I'm working on it now. See if I can get some pictures posted. Good point tdoczi. Hard to say whats left of the trails up here or anywhere. Has anyone hiked up the AT in the railroad road area this year?
    i was there in july. with all the talk about the article about SERE right before my trip i definitely took particular notice of the area.

Journal Entries

The two pictures are of the same memorial and placed I believe where she ended up. It hasn't been there very long. Placed by the family. I'm not sure what the procedure is to claim 'evidence,' but I'm guessing they had to come to Maine in person to get her belongings as well. There is going to be at least one more article published about this whole thing in a number of weeks by a respected author. This one should be eye opening....and I hope it wraps this all up finally.

"by a respected author."
    Not that bartender from Portland, again? Good.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

HeHe TJ I wouldn't be shocked if the Bollard comes up with another article on this but I have no knowledge of that. What I was referring to will come from one of the largest newspapers in New England. I guess respected author or reputable news reporting is very open to interpretation.

Journal Entries

A new thought was explained to me regarding the map posted at the press conference showing areas searched. Evidently the red lines all indicate K-9 searches. I guess I didn't realize that. Other than a few hasty searches done in the area, seems like all the SAR folks the Warden service sent over to poplar ridge to search didn't really happen other than the K-9 team(s). I wonder if the SERE searches were indicated in the map. If not why, if so where are they?

Journal Entries

Its getting quiet in here. There is a lengthy article coming out about the wrap up of Gerry search if any moderators want to keep the thread open until then. Probably will be published in a few weeks.

I've just been informed that MASAR, and all MASAR volunteers have been told to direct any further questions from the press to the Maine Warden Service. This indicates the investigation is still open. Again, we have more questions than answers.

http://thebollard.com/2015/12/03/m-i...-a-t-survival/

http://wgan.com/ken-and-mike/12715-podcast-chris-busby/

GA-ME 2011
    Images

What makes you think that just because MASAR doesn't want to answer any further questions that the investigation is still open?

Some things I disagree with in the article:

"The stream-cut valley is fairly wide and flat, a natural place to rest before beginning the gradual ascent toward Spaulding Mountain"
    No the valley is steep down to Orbeton stream and steep up the other side. The only flat place I could find to pitch a tent was on the road bed which is cut into the hillside.

"
    Wardens have refused to speculate regarding which side trail Largay may have taken on that sunny Monday morning, but as we see it, there are only two options. The first, and least likely, is the Railroad Road. As you can see from the accompanying photo, the Railroad Road is wide and straight. The A.T. is narrow and winding. To confuse one with the other is akin to mistaking Baxter Boulevard in Portland for the Maine Turnpike."
    Actually the AT often follows old woods roads exactly like this road, so it would not have been unusual to follow one here. In my past posts I have mentioned how the 2013 AT Guide says to follow this road east. It has since been changed to say follow the road east a short distance.

"
    Furthermore, after walking a half mile or so along the Railroad Road, one encounters signs declaring this area a U.S. Navy training facility where entry is forbidden"
    The first sign which is brown in color and states in white lettering "Warning US Naval Training Facility No Unauthorized Entry Beyond This Point" is 3,800' from the AT so it's quite possible Gerry never went far enough to see this sign. This information comes from the trail maintainer in that area.

"
    The more likely option is the older, overgrown tote road a bit further along the trail. This path crosses the A.T. twice, because it follows a crooked loop north of the trail."
    Maybe, but it's been stated here that the side trails shown on the topo maps dating back many years may not even exist any longer. I don't recall any intersecting trails in that area except Railroad Rd.

And some other observations:

"We all know Maine’s weather can be capricious, but it was mid-July. Archived weather data recorded at the airport nearest her location, in Berlin, New Hampshire, lists a low temperature of 48 degrees on Monday morning, 62 degrees on Tuesday (the day it rained), and 55 degrees on Wednesday. Berlin is just over 1,000 feet in elevation; the area where Largay was found is about 2,000 feet above sea level. Even taking regional temperature variations into account, it seems unlikely Largay was exposed to air colder than 50 degrees for an extended period of time."
    Why use NH temps? The low on 6/22/13 was 48 in Stratton, the next day also 62 with .60 inches of rain. Thursday 55 with .22 inches of rain. I would expect it to be a few degrees colder on the AT.

"Intriguingly, the Brentwood site reported on Oct. 16 that Largay’s remains were discovered “inside a tent” — an item not included in the list they previously published. A reporter at the press conference in Augusta that day asked Lt. Kevin Adam of the Warden Service if Largay was found in a tent, and he dodged the question. “All’s I’m gonna say is we packed up all the gear that was there and it was hers,” he said."
    This is something I picked up on, the gear list published in the Brentwood article doesn't mention a tent. One would think if you were putting out a description of a missing hiker the type, size and color of the tent they carried would be extremely important.

And of course the whole SERE conspiracy thing is over the top in my opinion.

"Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Page 103 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 113 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++