WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GDM View Post
    Seek Outside Unaweep pack.. Not cheap, but comfy, adjustable, can carry bear cans in a variety of ways, reasonably lightweight, and can handle anywhere from 10 - 100 pounds.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    A 3 pound pack for all loads.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Make yourself a cardboard cylinder the size of the Bearikade and test the fit.
    No need... let me repeat... I now OWN a Bearikade Expedition (came in the mail yesterday).

I've done some basic tests with my REI Flash 62 pack, and so far, I think the Bearikade is going to be too big for that pack. But as for packing the Bearikade, once I get plans for this weekend over, I can get back to trying to figure out how to pack the Bearikade. So far, I think I've done the right thing purchasing one rather than renting so that I can learn about my issues with the canister now rather than two days before leaving for my trip.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    No need... let me repeat... I now OWN a Bearikade Expedition (came in the mail yesterday).

I've done some basic tests with my REI Flash 62 pack, and so far, I think the Bearikade is going to be too big for that pack. But as for packing the Bearikade, once I get plans for this weekend over, I can get back to trying to figure out how to pack the Bearikade. So far, I think I've done the right thing purchasing one rather than renting so that I can learn about my issues with the canister now rather than two days before leaving for my trip.
    You did the perfect thing.
    You can resell it to CA people for almost what you paid for it, since they have to pay sales tax. 90 % recovery of purchase price

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You did the perfect thing.
    You can resell it to CA people for almost what you paid for it, since they have to pay sales tax. 90 % recovery of purchase price
    Yep paid $80 sold for over $300!!! Got lucky!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Yep paid $80 sold for over $300!!! Got lucky!!

Rub it in. Grinning.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Rub it in. Grinning.

Wayne
    Funny thing is for some weird reason I did a Craig's list search in Fl for a bear can! After my jmt hike where I rented one! Go figure! If it was a weekender I would have kept it...the expedition is waaaaaay too big for my needs...

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Planning a JMT thru this year leaving MTR with 10 days of supplies using the Bearikade Expedition.

I haven't finished packing supplies yet, but I've heard that 2 to 2.5 pounds of consumables per day is typical. That suggests that the Bearikade is going to weight about 22 pounds leaving MTR.

While I have not weighted all the gear I plan to carry, based on my typical hike, I expect the rest of the gear to weigh 25 to 30 pounds.
    Yeah I have a ULA Circuit, which is similarly sized pack, and I couldn’t imagine putting a bear can in that with all my gear…wouldn’t fit. I used a McHale Popcan, but that’s probably not an option due to price. So my advice would be to get the bigger pack. Also, if you are going to do the piece from MTR to the end in 10 days (which is what I did) then the first couple of days after MTR your pack will be heavy. So just plan accordingly where you take it easy for the first couple of days and then pick up the pace. Since your trip sounds like it will closely mirror mine you can check out the details of how I did it here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=414703, and let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The simple solution is to hike more miles per day than 11.
    Depends on what HooDooKu's hiking style is. I did the piece from MTR to the end in 10 days and absolutely loved having the extra time to spend in camp, look at the scenery, and just be out there. I could have cut a couple of days off, but I didn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    Depending upon when you are going a 15 degree bag might be over-kill.
    I thought this too, and carried my 35 deg bag. I ended up being cold on multiple nights. Had a thermometer with me, and it got below freezing into the upper 20s at least 2 nights. If it were me I'd stick with the 15 deg bag.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Also, why are you carrying 10 days of food? Why not just go out at Kearsarge Pass and resupply in Bishop/Independence? Yeah, the romantic idea of not leaving the mountains for 10 days sounds great in principle, but when you are struggling under the weight of all that food in a pack that is not designed to hold so much weight, I guarantee you will wish you'd carried less food.
    Don't know what HooDooku's plan is, but I enjoyed staying out this entire time without having to hike out for a re-supply since this was my furst "thru hike" of any trail. If I do it again I will hike out for the re-supply though as the pack weight after MTR sucked.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I'd hang a bear bag for a day or two after mtr or hit bear boxes before I bought a pack to haul that load....for me I'm trying to get down in size not grow it!!! More pack = more crap you end up carrying!

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I'd hang a bear bag for a day or two after mtr or hit bear boxes
    This is nice in theory, but I don't remember there being any bear boxes for the first couple of days out of MTR. As for hanging, if you found a tree that works for hanging I'd like to know where it is. That was my plan out of MTR, and I never found one. About 99% of the trees I saw were pines with branches that angle upward. I saw very few trees along the entire trail that had a suitable branch parallel to the ground for hanging. So I had to get creative with my food storage. If I go out there again I'm going to get a bear can that is big enough to put everything inside, or just re-supply more often.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

REI had rental packs.

Is that still true?

I have the Lowe Alpine Attack I have had forever.

Now, the Lowe Alpine website is the correct name, the Lowe Pro is their camera backpack product line, but there are some larger volume backpacks found there, as well.
    Last edited by Connie; 05-26-2016 at 09:46.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    This is nice in theory, but I don't remember there being any bear boxes for the first couple of days out of MTR. As for hanging, if you found a tree that works for hanging I'd like to know where it is. That was my plan out of MTR, and I never found one. About 99% of the trees I saw were pines with branches that angle upward. I saw very few trees along the entire trail that had a suitable branch parallel to the ground for hanging. So I had to get creative with my food storage. If I go out there again I'm going to get a bear can that is big enough to put everything inside, or just re-supply more often.
    Technically have to use counterbalance method.
    But...some will hang food off bridges over San Joaquin river, probably safest way to hang really. I recalls 3 bridges that day. River really noisy though, i wouldnt want to be near it. There was camping areas established near 2nd and 3rd bridges.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-26-2016 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I can't remember specifics but there were several bridges after mtr where you could easily hang from...box at McClure ranger station? I camped there the day I stopped at mtr but was after 10 at night when I arrived....I was on a faster schedule so I didn't have any issues with a weekender in my circuit...

This is my Bearikade Custom 750, which isn't as big as the Expedition, but it is pretty close, and it fits with no problem horizontally on my ZPacks pack. However, they did make the pack with two straps across the top instead of the standard single strap.

It looks silver instead of the carbon fiber color, because I added foil adhesive backed shelf liner to the outside. The foil does a good job of reflecting the heat away, keeping the contents from getting overly heated under the direct sun.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vegan Packer; 05-29-2016 at 05:30.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Packer View Post
    This is my Bearikade Custom 750, which isn't as big as the Expedition, but it is pretty close, and it fits with no problem horizontally on my ZPacks pack. However, they did make the pack with two straps across the top instead of the standard single strap.

It looks silver instead of the carbon fiber color, because I added foil adhesive backed shelf liner to the outside. The foil does a good job of reflecting the heat away, keeping the contents from getting overly heated under the direct sun.
    Damn looks like a tall load...doesn't it hit back of your head? I didn't like the idea of the can on outside of my pack...or anything else really...if it slips off its history...

Damn looks like a tall load...doesn't it hit back of your head? I didn't like the idea of the can on outside of my pack...or anything else really...if it slips off its history...

It is on the tall side, but it really only goes about six inches above my head. It doesn't hit my head, but I can't wear cowboy style hats with it attached to the pack, or they will hit the canister. That's really about the only limitation.

I got a couple of the ZPacks adhesive backed stick-on loops, attached them to the side of the canister, and I thread the straps through there. Between those and tightening the straps enough, there are no issues. I have taken the pack, turned it on its side and shaken, and everything remains secure.

It is on the tall side, but it really only goes about six inches above my head. It doesn't hit my head, but I can't wear cowboy style hats with it attached to the pack, or they will hit the canister. That's really about the only limitation.

I got a couple of the ZPacks adhesive backed stick-on loops, attached them to the side of the canister, and I thread the straps through there. Between those and tightening the straps enough, there are no issues. I have taken the pack, turned it on its side and shaken, and everything remains secure.
    Damn!! I can't imagine that being comfortable...6" over head!! I find it awkward over lower part of back of my head.. Seems awkward with weight being that high...esp if that big can is full....

Damn!! I can't imagine that being comfortable...6" over head!! I find it awkward over lower part of back of my head.. Seems awkward with weight being that high...esp if that big can is full....
    I just went and put on my pack to see again. It is really only about three or maybe four inches above my head, and it sits a good six to eight inches behind, so I never get a head bonk or have to move my head out of the way. I tried to take out my phone to take a pic, but I can't hold the phone to my side far enough to shoot while also seeing what is in the picture.

Honestly, the only time that I even have to think about it is if I am going under a branch or something that comes close to the top of my head. Otherwise, I don't even know that it is there.
    Last edited by Vegan Packer; 06-01-2016 at 01:52.

I just went and put on my pack to see again. It is really only about three or maybe four inches above my head, and it sits a good six to eight inches behind, so I never get a head bonk or have to move my head out of the way. I tried to take out my phone to take a pic, but I can't hold the phone to my side far enough to shoot while also seeing what is in the picture.

Honestly, the only time that I even have to think about it is if I am going under a branch or something that comes close to the top of my head. Otherwise, I don't even know that it is there.
    I witnessed a rather large female hiker fall flat on her face while climbing Whitney from the portal. Her bear can was really high and nearly knocked her out when she fell. She couldn't get up with her huge gear load. It was all I had not to bust out laughing... I had to dead lift her and her hellaciously heavy load..she could have gone a few weeks without a meal...

Excuse me SFB. Sad day when trail snob FWTLL. Why don't you ÷=%_"#_\#€£

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crog Welly View Post
    Excuse me SFB. Sad day when trail snob FWTLL. Why don't you ÷=%_"#_\#€£

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    ???

generally want to keep heavy weights low as can where easier to control and dont tire you as much.
    But , the overriding factor is always......do it work for U, and are U happy with it.
    If so... party on.
    you will see a lot of big packs with cans under the floating lid
    Im like....w_t_f...what else is in a huge pack that someone cant fit their food it??? Were talking 65, 70, or larger packs.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-01-2016 at 20:03.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++