WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Not a big issue IMO; what noise there is improves over time. Original NeoAirs were noisier than current models BTW. Only makes noise when you move around. Stay still. You are sleeping anyway.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Not a big issue IMO; what noise there is improves over time. Original NeoAirs were noisier than current models BTW. Only makes noise when you move around. Stay still. You are sleeping anyway.
    That's what the dude at REI said too. The noise lessens with wear. Thank you.

Journal Entries

I dont notice any noise. Of course I sleep with ear plugs.

But no one near me complains either. Come to think of it, I usually am camping alone though.

If a neoair in the woods crinkles and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Nope. Another internet myth.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Also a big fan of my neo air. I've got the old one. It's a little crinkly, but I'm usually too tired to care!

After looking up reviews from the last year for the NeoAir, I noticed the reviews all said the newer model was redesigned in 2015 and the newer model is quieter than the older one. It is made of a different fabric.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleepi...t-NeoAir-XLite
    There were other reviews - someone rated them top pad of the year - however, I am not finding them at the moment....

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    After looking up reviews from the last year for the NeoAir, I noticed the reviews all said the newer model was redesigned in 2015 and the newer model is quieter than the older one. It is made of a different fabric.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleepi...t-NeoAir-XLite
    There were other reviews - someone rated them top pad of the year - however, I am not finding them at the moment....
    The same folks gave the Xtherm their Editor's Choice award. That sold me.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

i have one i think it was a special edition regular for backcountry so R value is only like 1.5-2 but its not that noisy and its the most comfortable pad ive had. and i use earplugs too so i dont hear much
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

You know what I noticed? When you're around a group of people sleeping, chances are everyone is tossing and turning at some point. Except for the resident snorer. They're usually sound asleep for 10 hours and wake up feeling great.
    Last edited by capehiker; 05-29-2016 at 10:57.

I bought mine last season, so I assume that I have one of the new ones. I consider myself to be a light sleeper, and I have no noise issues.

In that regard, I read on another thread somewhere that one of the things that contributes to the noise is not fully inflating the mattress. This could be another reason why I don't have noise issue, because I tend to inflate mine pretty much fully.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

I'll pay $5 plus shipping for any noisy neo that holds air.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'll pay $5 plus shipping for any noisy neo that holds air.
    Suggesting they are crap?

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Suggesting they are crap?
    not at tall, simply stating that if a noisy neo keeps you at night, I'll take it off your hands if the price is right. Why suffer!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    not at tall, simply stating that if a noisy neo keeps you at night, I'll take it off your hands if the price is right. Why suffer!
    Haha, got you

REI's product reviews still remain from the older model neo air. Thermarest changed the material to a softer fabric. I heard the old models were really bad, but I used the Trekker and switched to the Xlite. No noise issues. Other hikers snoring and the rain/thunder are bigger concerns for noise on the AT for me

I do wish they made a reg length in 25"

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I do wish they made a reg length in 25"
    +1...I can't bring myself to take scissors to my large xlite or large xtherm @ 5'11" 210 they are way longer than I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's kinda noisy... :0 But I toss and turn in my sleep a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's kinda noisy... :0 But I toss and turn in my sleep a lot.
    No, you're not.

I've slept 20 ft away from another tent with a newer Xlite in there, and I could hear it crinkle through my earplugs (no, I wasn't on an inflatable myself). Another time, I was among 3 other tents that each had one (at least one of which was a newer one, if not all 3) - it was quite the Frito Lay Symphony!

This is not to say that the new ones aren't quieter than the old ones - they very well may be. But that's not the same thing as it being a quiet pad.

Just my opinion.

Looking forward to using the two Neo Air Xlites I recently purchased for my HMW trip with daughter this Sept...I read the internet "intel" and figured of all the other positives if there was noise, no big deal. So good to hear it's good to go

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++