WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

This addressed some of my concerns.

https://sawyer.com/products/permethr...ect-repellent/

Quote Originally Posted by msupple View Post
    This addressed some of my concerns.

BTW...you have to click on the FAQs.

I bought the Sawyer's stuff. I'll be treating all of my stuff soon with it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I had five pieces of clothing treated by insectshield this spring. Been using them for a couple of weeks. So far I am quite happy with them.

They charged about $10 per garment for an application that lasts the garment's life, it may even be cheaper than treating it myself.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I treated before starting the trail, and picked up another bottle in Damascus to retreat. In hindsight, I probably could have skipped the pre-trail treatment as I started in early April and didn't really see any bugs until after Damascus in June.

On the Sawyer spray bottle it says "Clothing should be retreated after 42 days or after the sixth laundering to maintain adequate protection."

I take this to mean that even if you don't wear the treated clothing that the permethrin potency is inadequate after 6 weeks.sawyer permethrin potency.jpg

So what's the deal with this stuff and how long does it work in reality? That's some pretty expensive brew if it lasts only 6 weeks.

Lasts six weeks if it's worn. Sunlight degrades permethrin. I found it lasts a season, or two. I only treat my clothing once a year. I've used sawyer's and Martins concentrated and not noticed any difference, other than odor that fades away.

Ok, sounds more reasonable.

Definitely going the Martin's 10% route next time and doing it myself.

I plan on using the Martins 10% reduction on clothing and tent, but I have a few question who have tried this method in the past.

1) Will it work on a sylnylon tent and fly? (I'm thinking specifically for my TT Stratosphire) I know the concoction will adhere to the mesh wall, but i have concerns about the fly and bathtub flooring because it's been impregnated with silicone.
    2) What about rain repellant pants, something with DWR treatment. Again, same concerns about adhering to the fabric.

Anyone have a thought or suggestion whether it will work?

Serial Hiker
    Images

Forget about applying it to silnylon. It can't soak in.
    I'd give the pants a soak though. When you wash them, they obviously get wet.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

I thought Sawyer repellant was chrysanthmum derrivative.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    On the Sawyer spray bottle it says "Clothing should be retreated after 42 days or after the sixth laundering to maintain adequate protection."

I take this to mean that even if you don't wear the treated clothing that the permethrin potency is inadequate after 6 weeks.sawyer permethrin potency.jpg

So what's the deal with this stuff and how long does it work in reality? That's some pretty expensive brew if it lasts only 6 weeks.
    The 6 week limitation is based on photodegradation due to exposure to sunlight. So, if you treat an item and keep it in a dark closet (or as Sawyer suggests, an opaque plastic bag), it will last longer. I agree with your cost analyses - I sent a lot of clothing into InsectShield to be treated for $10 or less (depending on quantity) per item for a treatment that lasts 70 washings. Cheaper and less hassle. I still use the Sawyers for my shoes, pack and other gear though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I had five pieces of clothing treated by insectshield this spring. Been using them for a couple of weeks. So far I am quite happy with them.

They charged about $10 per garment for an application that lasts the garment's life, it may even be cheaper than treating it myself.
    If it is for the life of the garment it would be cheaper. I have used sawyers of when I travel to the developing world, (I do not like Dengue)but have had to reapply the stuff. I may need to try and send my stuff in to be treated. Thanks.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by misprof View Post
    If it is for the life of the garment it would be cheaper. I have used sawyers of when I travel to the developing world, (I do not like Dengue)but have had to reapply the stuff. I may need to try and send my stuff in to be treated. Thanks.
    I want to clarify that their claim is technically 70 washings. To me that is one in the same as the life of the garment, but since you are talking about Dengue, I thought I should post the exact claim:

How long will Insect Shield protection last?The repellency ofInsect Shield apparel is EPA-registered to last through 70 launderings$mdash; the expected lifetime of a garment. This is also well beyond the life of most performance fabric finishes commonly used in the technical-apparel industry. Insect Shield gear repellency remains effective through 6 months of exposure to weathering, or through 25 launderings for washable items.
    Insect Shield products also have a long shelf life. Insect Shield-treated garments stored for ten years have shown no loss of repellent effectiveness.
    http://www.insectshield.com/mobile/o...logy/FAQs.aspx
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I treat all my clothes and ground cloth for my tent. It is a derivative of the chrysanthemum plant so once it dries the first time, you are good for 6 washes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo17 View Post
    I plan on using the Martins 10% reduction on clothing and tent, but I have a few question who have tried this method in the past.

1) Will it work on a sylnylon tent and fly? (I'm thinking specifically for my TT Stratosphire) I know the concoction will adhere to the mesh wall, but i have concerns about the fly and bathtub flooring because it's been impregnated with silicone.
    2) What about rain repellant pants, something with DWR treatment. Again, same concerns about adhering to the fabric.

Anyone have a thought or suggestion whether it will work?
    All I know is that I drenched my Tarptent Double Moment (Just the fly) and also my ground sheet and never had a single bug of any kind on it when I got up in the morning. Had a few dead bugs on the groundsheet though, so.... My TT is seam sealed. I was at a couple of campsites that were oozing ants, but none of them got in or on my tent. I used the Permithrin spray and did it myself at home.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    Forget about applying it to silnylon. It can't soak in.
    I'd give the pants a soak though. When you wash them, they obviously get wet.
    You are right Sill nylon and Cuban will not take up much of the product - The thought process is to wet it, let it dry then wet it again... I personnally think that doing the tent tarp is a waste of time... but the fly and any area you come in contact with such as a hammock bottom and back is a good idea. I would not soak the pants as the crotch may present a problem when coming in contact with body sweat. Just spray the leggings.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Anybody having trouble buying the Sawyer Permethrin Insect Repellent Clothing Treatment? I saw it 2 months ago everywhere, now can't find it now that I'm ready to use it. REI & Amazon show as not available online.

Images

I just bought a bottle at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlo View Post
    Anybody having trouble buying the Sawyer Permethrin Insect Repellent Clothing Treatment? I saw it 2 months ago everywhere, now can't find it now that I'm ready to use it. REI & Amazon show as not available online.

It's available on Amazon in the 24 ounce size for $15 - even available for same day delivery.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++