Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    Isn't the tracking a new feature? I've used the app many times on the trail, but have not used it for tracking. How well does it perform in a real use case?
    Hey Tundracamper. The tracking in the Guthook apps is new this season (and only on iPhone so far while we decide if it's something people use enough to warrant porting it). I've been using it for all my hikes over the winter while I was testing it, and it worked 99% of the time ;-) The other thing, which I thought was very interesting, was that if I didn't take pictures or use the phone for other things, the GPS tracking only ate about 2-4% battery per hour (on three year-old iPhone 5s).

Tracking clarification:
    What I knew was last year's version of the App and the Location Sharing Feature. This feature will record your location and message and hold it until you have a cell signal. Then it sends the message without having to do anything.
    Apparently Tracking, like Argus and other exercise recording apps, is new. I need to check it out.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Any updates on how Guthooks tracking feature is doing in 2018?

Anyone use Strava for tracking their hikes? If so how do you handle a several days long backpacking trip without cell service? Leave it in pause while you are sleeping?

Any other apps that people like for tracking their hikes/backpacking trips? Basically I'd love to be able to turn it on when I start hiking, turn it off when I stop, save the track when I get into town with cell service and be able to see how many miles and elevation gain/loss I did with a cool map of what I hiked as a bonus. All with being able to keep my phone in airplane mode while hiking and not having it use too much battery power. I know I'm greedy!
    LT End-to-Ender 2017; AT from Lehigh Gap to Hudson River; NH 31/48
    "Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in." - Isaac Asimov

I'm using Backcountry Navigator for tracking hikes in areas where there is no cell service. Pre-hike, I'm downloading maps of the area.
    While the user interface of BN is a bit you-need-to-get-used-to, it works really grat finally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++