Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Either way, you have to either get to Lassen or back home from Lassen.
    2 months hiking north from Lake Tahoe sounds nice. I have no idea where you might be in 2 months. That would be an added bonus to your adventure.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Yeah, maybe just start at Tahoe and go north and let the chips fall. Thru hikers should be through Tahoe by then from what I read.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    In two months on even a moderately paced schedule with clear PCT terrain underfoot he'll be well south of Lake Tahoe. He'll be hiking by himself though going against the PCT NOBOers already in full thru-hiker mode and too early for that far south to connect with PCT SOBOers. He'll have his hot dry solitude. Cross your fingers you don't encounter snow at the highest elevations if going too early and trail closures due to forest fires if too late. That area has been rife with fires the past ? yrs.
    I think Venchka was suggesting 2 months north from Tahoe.

I guess at this point guys I am essentially looking for the most approachable 2 month (I know all based on pace) section of the PCT. I am thinking the Sierras from late July-September is this. Maybe I am attached to the Sierras though from the diversity of beauty I keep seeing online.

Or southbound. It's your hike.
    Maybe throw in part or all of the Tahoe Rim Trail. Use it as a real world dress rehearsal and a great hike.

Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

There's connecting bus service from Reno through Quincy, Chester, Susanville, etc on Plumas Transit, Sage Stage and Lassen Rural. I've never bused directly into Lassen NP though so don't know if that's even possible. I usually hitch from Chester or hike the PCT NOBO from near the town of Chester where the PCT crosses Hwy 36. Inquiring at the hiker friendly Seneca Motel in Chester, Drakesbad Guest Ranch, and in the PCT Help Forums you'd have a good chance at connecting with a PCT friendly Angel in Chester or Susanville.
    No bus service in the park AFAIK. In addition to the buses Dogwood mentioned, there's also the Susanville Indian Rancheria bus which runs between Susanville and Red Bluff/Redding along Hwy 36--they can drop you off right at the PCT trailhead. SIR also has a bus from Sparks to Susanville ThSaSu which complements the Sage Stage from Reno on MWF.

BTW, anyone looking to reach the PCT via Susanville should PM me--I may be able to help with a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Or southbound. It's your hike.
    Maybe throw in part or all of the Tahoe Rim Trail. Use it as a real world dress rehearsal and a great hike.

Wayne

This is such a great idea. Fly to Reno. Shuttle to Tahoe City. Hike clockwise to Desolation Wilderness. Then from Echo Lake I am pretty much on the PCT. And go North.

Quote Originally Posted by rompel View Post
    No bus service in the park AFAIK. In addition to the buses Dogwood mentioned, there's also the Susanville Indian Rancheria bus which runs between Susanville and Red Bluff/Redding along Hwy 36--they can drop you off right at the PCT trailhead. SIR also has a bus from Sparks to Susanville ThSaSu which complements the Sage Stage from Reno on MWF.

BTW, anyone looking to reach the PCT via Susanville should PM me--I may be able to help with a ride.
    Thank you.

I'm scratching my head at times. If you're going clear across the country to hike with what you've communicated are your desires obviously dropping some do re mi to do and allocating a fair chunk of time and other resources you could very well be succumbing to PCT ONLY FEVER. It's your hike though. Enjoy yourself.

FWIW, you're in an area of the U.S. with unnumbered LD hiking opps.

I'm scratching my head at times. If you're going clear across the country to hike with what you've communicated are your desires obviously dropping some do re mi to do and allocating a fair chunk of time and other resources you could very well be succumbing to PCT ONLY FEVER. It's your hike though. Enjoy yourself.

You could be right Dogwood.

But, at this point I am committed and just doing it (with proper preparation and help).

Correct me if I'm wrong. Always a real possibility.
    The OP is in Florida?
    In my antique feeble brain, the only 2 month alternative to the PCT would be 2 months on the CDT.
    Hike your own hike.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I feel like a travel director. I'm going to send you a bill Rybir.

Lollipop with a tail. Starting in July after flying into Reno or Sac get to SOUTH Lake Tahoe.Don't let the one armed bandits rob you of your trail budget. Do the Tahoe Rim Tr(TRT) thru as suggested. TRT has a good website. Easy enough logistics. Take your time through Desolation Wilderness. Maybe even do a side overnighter trip there.

Head south on the separated PCT near Echo Lake. Head into Yosemite NP and hike to your heart's content realizing the Sierras are not only defined by the JMT OR PCT. But do consider either. Consider a PCT Thru-Hiker Permit to avoid possible Sierra permit competition. Summit Mt Whitney the highest mountain in the Lower 48. Resupply - Various options. Buy my book I'll make available to you at a reduced price for a limited time offer. Head into SEKI NP via the High Sierra Tr(NOT to be confused with the Sierra High Route). Take in Hot Spring soaks along the way and outstanding vistas galore. At end of trail take in GIANT Redwoods. General Grant Tree is a stone throws away. Work social mojo. Hitch and bus it down Hwy 180 to Fresno Int AP. Go home. Swim with the manatees and dolphins pinching yourself for being so fortunate to have experienced all this in two months. You may want to cry, kiss a baby, find the cure for cancer in a eureka moment of Universal clarity. Embrace it. Let it out. Share. Let others share with you. You've earned it. Welcome to the Club. STOP talking about it. DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT!

I feel like a travel director. I'm going to send you a bill Rybir.

Lollipop with a tail. Starting in July after flying into Reno or Sac get to SOUTH Lake Tahoe.Don't let the one armed bandits rob you of your trail budget. Do the Tahoe Rim Tr(TRT) thru as suggested. TRT has a good website. Easy enough logistics. Take your time through Desolation Wilderness. Maybe even do a side overnighter trip there.

Head south on the separated PCT near Echo Lake. Head into Yosemite NP and hike to your heart's content realizing the Sierras are not only defined by the JMT OR PCT. But do consider either. Consider a PCT Thru-Hiker Permit to avoid possible Sierra permit competition. Summit Mt Whitney the highest mountain in the Lower 48. Resupply - Various options. Buy my book I'll make available to you at a reduced price for a limited time offer. Head into SEKI NP via the High Sierra Tr(NOT to be confused with the Sierra High Route). Take in Hot Spring soaks along the way and outstanding vistas galore. At end of trail take in GIANT Redwoods. General Grant Tree is a stone throws away. Work social mojo. Hitch and bus it down Hwy 180 to Fresno Int AP. Go home. Swim with the manatees and dolphins pinching yourself for being so fortunate to have experienced all this in two months. You may want to cry, kiss a baby, find the cure for cancer in a eureka moment of Universal clarity. Embrace it. Let it out. Share. Let others share with you. You've earned it. Welcome to the Club. STOP talking about it. DECIDE WHAT YOU WANT!
    At this point I may even accept the bill (or at least a modest donation to WB)

I love this plan. Every day things become slightly more clear.

One question: does a PCT Thru-hiker permit trump the many, other various permits I would need to acquire to hike JMT, High Sierra Trail, etc...because from the looks of it JMT and High Sierra permits for July and August are completely unavailable.

Thank you Dogwood.

I am finding lots of info online, but some of it can be a little confusing. Plus, how strictly enforced are these permits? I understand the importance of having a PCT Long Distance will be vital...but from there as a solo hiker how much more is really necessary besides maybe a campfire permit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++