WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bear poles

:banana Bear poles

Okay, i guess i should have made a list of all of my questions. What about protecting my food. Should I put it in a bear container or just a sack. I know I have to hang it from a tree. Upon reading, I have found that there are certain areas that the food must be in a container? What would I do with my backpack? Does it not also have the scent of my food? Is it safe to put my backpack in my tent? If it is pouring down rain, do I still have to hang my food from a tree or a bear pole?
    I also have a question about foot protection. If I am hiking in late March and there was snow, would I be better off with boots although I heard that trail runners are the best thing for the entire hike.

Random unrelated question - did you mean to put your full physical address in the location field of your profile?

Does the AT have "bear poles"?

I hang my pack, as well.

The chewing mice and racoons are a big problem for backpacks, as far as I am concerned. It is a big part of my having a cuben backpack. Even so, the ZPacks food bag cuben is supposed to be more rodent proof, than ordinary cuben fiber.

My experience with racoons, I would still hamg my backpack.

They will go after the salt, from perspiration.

I use an Opsack for food odors, as a food bag inside my pack while hiking, and, the biggest Opsak as a bear bag.

There is the Ursack bear bag, if no trees. Excellent product.

VBL socks, or equivalent, may be sufficient if there is not a lot of snow, or, many miles of snow.

I have used soft-lined neoprene socks with those big awkward rubber shoes with holes as improvised "mickey mouse boots" in lieu of mountaineering boots, as "backup" for trail runners in the past. I wished for mountaineering overboots, where the snow had sufficient depth to suck at those odd rubber shoes with holes.

(I will think of the name later, of course.)

What is the AT answer?
    Last edited by Connie; 05-26-2016 at 09:11.

No. I need to figure out how to change that. Thanks

Crocs

The mountaineering over-boots with somewhat stiff rubber outer soles may be the answer.

I see reasonably priced choices at Google search: mountaineering overboots
    Last edited by Connie; 05-26-2016 at 09:19.

++ New Posts ++