Hi,
This is my first post to this forum. I'm going to hike the Appalachian trail with a friend southbound starting in late June. I've been doing a lot of research about Lyme disease and want to do all I can to reduce my chances of contracting it. I plan to permethrin coat my pants, shirts, socks, shoes and backpack. I also intend to wear pants and a longsleeve shirt for the entirety of the trail and possibly tuck my pants into socks. I was wondering if permethrin is readily available in trail towns or if I would need to buy it before leaving and put it in a bounce box because spray coating your clothes only lasts for 6 weeks. Also I know that there is a factory coating option for 10$ per piece of clothing you send in and is supposed to last for up to 60 washings. Do you think that is a better option? I've already bought all my clothing so I would prefer not to rebuy permethrin precoated clothing. I was also wondering if noseeum bug net pants would be worth wearing/effective against ticks. I'm not concerned about how dorky I look, just don't want to contract lyme disease. I look forward to hearing your guys opinions. :)