Journal Entries
    Images

Default Please explain a "Bounce Box" to me & it's costs

I'm hoping to use one on my PCT sobo hike this year. Thanks!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Why would you plan to use one if you don't know what it is??????

it is a package that you send between resupplies that may have infrequently used items or items like maps. You get what you need, if anything then bounce it forward to a future resupply location
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Why would you plan to use one if you don't know what it is??????

it is a package that you send between resupplies that may have infrequently used items or items like maps. You get what you need, if anything then bounce it forward to a future resupply location
    Please someone who cares about helping others more than thinking they're God's gift to backpackers respond, this is why WB has a bad name!! I know the concept but not the intimate details, thanks anyone else who has the costs of sending ect.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Perhaps you should have asked the specific questions you're looking for answers to. Malto's answer is probably what most of us were thinking. On the one hand you said 'please explain', then said you were planning to use one. It was a bizarre post.

If you want to minimize boxes sent from home, especially if home is across the country or overseas, it can be helpful to have a box that contains all the maps/guidebook sections, large sizes of vitamins, medications, extra batteries, memory cards, spare socks, warm clothes, extra ziplocks, extra food, etc. We had ours forwarded every 3-4 weeks. Cost will depend on how heavy the box is, and how far it is being sent. Ship it first class so you can have it forwarded for free if you need to. If you are doing maildrops from home, you won't need a bounce box, because those things can be divided up ahead of time.

Images

One idea for a bounce box is one of those 5-gallon plastic buckets from the hardware store, with a very tight fitting lid. You can put things you will need on occasion -- like the next map sections, some food items that you buy in bulk but only need a small amount, ziploc bags, other useful things. Paper and envelopes for mailing home, batteries and chargers for cameras, whatever.

The cool thing about the bucket is that it's easy to open and reseal without needing tape. +1 on sending it Priority (1st Class) -- if you send it to a town and then don't go into that town, you can send a mail forward slip to that PO and they will forward it for free. Send the bounce box to your name, general delivery, at the PO and town name with the zip code, and write on the box Hold for PCT Hiker and your expected arrival date.

Note that you can walk into the PO and forward the box for free as long as you don't "take delivery" of the box. If the clerk hands it to you, they'll want more money to ship it on. So if you don't need anything from the box, just forward it without opening it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Priority mail rates are available from USPS online.
    Surely there is a better container than a 5 gallon paint bucket.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I've never used a bounce box but the 5-gallon paint bucket seemed like a good idea to me. It won't crush, the lid stays on, it has a handle if you need it. Waterproof. Roomy. What are the drawbacks of this container?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Please someone who cares about helping others more than thinking they're God's gift to backpackers respond, this is why WB has a bad name!! I know the concept but not the intimate details, thanks anyone else who has the costs of sending ect.
    I sincerely didn't intend to hurt your feelings. And I don't believe for one second that I'm "God's gift to backpackers." God's gift to Backpackers comes in the form of such wonders as Glacier Peak, Crater Lake or Goat Rocks not some smelly walker. Hopefully you get to see this later this summer if you workoutboots hold up. Have a great hike.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
    I've never used a bounce box but the 5-gallon paint bucket seemed like a good idea to me. It won't crush, the lid stays on, it has a handle if you need it. Waterproof. Roomy. What are the drawbacks of this container?
    Lid will be taped on with a USPS tape seal to show it hasnt been opened. Handle has to be taped down, so its not useable. Postage is based on size/shape as well as weight, its not a flat rate box so you will pay more every time you mail it. I had to pay non-standard container charge before for buckets...hefty charge too. Ill say this, it would have cheaper to put the bucket inside a box, than to just ship the bucket. Others have not. May depend on if its going by air or what to get to destination.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-25-2016 at 20:43.

Images

Re: use of 5 gal bucket. I drilled three holes through the top where they would not compromise the watertight seal and sealed the bounce bucket with zip ties. I left a package of spare zip ties and a note saying "If this package has been opened for inspection, please reseal with these zip ties". I found it helpful to have the bounce bucket and always sent it priority mail which gives free tracking and forwarding, if unopened. Here are my BB locations: Warner Springs, Saufleys, Big Bear Citiy, Lake Isabella, Mammoth, S. Lake Tahoe (didn't open/forwarded on), Truckee, Ashland, Cascade Locks, Skykomish.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++