WhiteBlaze Pages
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$10 for printed copy(paperback). $6 for interactive PDF. $2 for printable PDF.
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-16-2011
    Location
    On the trail
    Posts
    3,789
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    My primary purpose has changed to more of a duration goal: e out there at least two months. Doing a thru hike and daily high mileage isn't the goal. so now I am leaning towards the extra space
    Many people cowboy camp on the PCT. Example, I only set up my tarp 3 times in 98 days but I also knew that I loved cowboy camping going into my PCT hike. It really could impact your choice of shelter toward more minimalist.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

  2. #22
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    75
    Posts
    8,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    Hmm...yes. Could be very true Franco.

    Regardless, I pulled the trigger on Stratospire 1. Feeling good about it.
    Please share your long term experience with the SS 1.
    Thanks and have fun!

    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace



  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Many people cowboy camp on the PCT. Example, I only set up my tarp 3 times in 98 days but I also knew that I loved cowboy camping going into my PCT hike. It really could impact your choice of shelter toward more minimalist.
    Yes, I decided to go with SS1. I think comfort of tent will be useful. I lack experience sleeping outdoors.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Please share your long term experience with the SS 1.
    Thanks and have fun!

    Wayne
    Will do both on fun and feedback.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-13-2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    I would pick one or the other and not carry both. If it's too hot, you can vent pretty easily. The vestibules are big enough that you could leave one or both open even in a driving rain.
    I might consider owning both. But no way carrying both at the same time.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    I've got it narrowed down for my PCT SoBo thru hike that I will begin in July.

    It is between Tarptent's SS1 and SS2.

    Both have the same pack dimensions.

    The SS 2 is 10 oz heavier, but I have a feeling that 10 oz really goes a long way. Plus if I ever want the more space for others in the future it's there.

    Any one have input before I pull the final trigger? Thank you so much.
    While you have made your decision, I wanted to comment on this. I bought the Squall 2 for 2 reasons. 1, In my car camping experience, I like to spread my stuff out inside my tent, and 2, because I thought perhaps I'd share the tent with a hiking partner some day.

    I've had the tent a couple years now, and never shared it. Spreading my stuff out inside the tent isn't as important to me as it used to be. After sleeping inside my sleeping bag with all the things I didn't want to freeze, I'm not as concerned with being crowded by things. Large (dual) vestibules would be great - both for storage and for ventilation.

    While I don't exactly regret my choice, I would buy a different tent today if starting over.

    2 person tents typically have a larger footprint, which can make finding a place to pitch challenging in some sites... and carrying the extra weight of a 2 person tent for hundreds of miles... well...

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    I've got it narrowed down for my PCT SoBo thru hike that I will begin in July.

    It is between Tarptent's SS1 and SS2.

    Both have the same pack dimensions.

    The SS 2 is 10 oz heavier, but I have a feeling that 10 oz really goes a long way. Plus if I ever want the more space for others in the future it's there.

    Any one have input before I pull the final trigger? Thank you so much.

    If you like the SS design, there seems to be a newly available copy of this design available on the market, in between the SS1 and SS2 in size, and designed for a known ultralight hiker. Dunno what it is worth and would be hesitant to use a blatant industrial-grade copy though.

    Minos

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2006
    Location
    Melbourne,Australia
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,820

    Default

    There are two shelters that share the offset pole design of the SS 1/2 however that is about all there is in common with those three designs.
    Skurka has explained that he was not aware of the TT SS when himself and Sierra Design made the first two prototypes and really once you see the exact geometry they are not all that much alike.
    For what is worth, I think that the end supports of the StratoSpire offer a lot more leverage and internal room than having the fly corner down to the ground all around as well as having (in my opinion) a better windshedding shape .
    footprints-tt-yama-hr1-615x224 (1).jpg
    Note bthe hexagonal shape of the SS vs the rectangular High Route.
    Henry Shires himself was accused of having copied a Phoenix tent when making the Rainbow when in fact he had never heard of Phoenix (a defunct British brand) and the Rainbow was inspired by 3 different single hoop shelters one of which was the Mac Pac Microlite.

    However if you saw the Rainbow and the Microlite side by side you would know that they are not all that much alike...
    [email protected]

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2006
    Location
    Melbourne,Australia
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,820

    Default

    Here is a side view of the SD High Route vs the Notch and SS1 :
    high-route-unique-pitch-615x411.jpgNotch-SS1-open_zpsgcw1mohu.jpg

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    There are two shelters that share the offset pole design of the SS 1/2 however that is about all there is in common with those three designs.
    Skurka has explained that he was not aware of the TT SS when himself and Sierra Design made the first two prototypes and really once you see the exact geometry they are not all that much alike.
    For what is worth, I think that the end supports of the StratoSpire offer a lot more leverage and internal room than having the fly corner down to the ground all around as well as having (in my opinion) a better windshedding shape .
    footprints-tt-yama-hr1-615x224 (1).jpg
    Note bthe hexagonal shape of the SS vs the rectangular High Route.
    Henry Shires himself was accused of having copied a Phoenix tent when making the Rainbow when in fact he had never heard of Phoenix (a defunct British brand) and the Rainbow was inspired by 3 different single hoop shelters one of which was the Mac Pac Microlite.

    However if you saw the Rainbow and the Microlite side by side you would know that they are not all that much alike...
    [email protected]

    Well, as an SS owner, it does really look like an SS design without the vestibules. Pole arrangement, ridgeline, detachable fly, net-only setup and door design are probably all too similar to be pure coincidence. Of course, it does not share the fancy corners. Maybe that would make this too obvious? Or are these IP protected? In the end, like many chinese copies, the "evolutionary copies" are not as good as the original... This being said, I do not care.

  11. #31

    Default

    Yeah, I just slept outside for first time in my SS1 last night. It happened to storm in the middle of the night. Overall very comfortable. So that's that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •