WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Sleeping Bag in Pack

I've always used the stuff sack a sleeping bag comes or a dry bag with for my sleeping bag when I'm packing, but since I have joined WB I have noticed that many people just stuff their sleeping bag at the bottom of their pack. I tried this with my EE 10F down quilt and Zpacks Arc Haul since both are new to me, but trying this method seems to take up a huge amount of room and I can't get everything else in my pack. It seems to me that there is too much air in the quilt, but I can't compress it enough in the pack to reduce the volume for the rest of my gear.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or should I resign myself to using my normal method?

I use a compactor bag to line my circuit...all my sleep cloths, puffy, down quilt of bag and xlite smashed down to bottom then twist and gold over bag w most air out..food bag and tent on top with no problem. It does fill pack out but seems to carry better than with lil separate stuff sacks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

When I tried modifying my packing style by filling in all the available room by simply stuffing the sleeping bag in the pack, I found the bag would puff up and make it difficult to unpack.
    So now I stuff the sleeping bag in the stuff sack and use clothing to fill in all the extra nooks and crannies.

I squeeze the air out of my sleeping bag, stuff it in a Target bag and then jam that into the bottom of my backpack. Remember, your pack is a giant stuff sack. Just keep shoving stuff in there and then tighten the straps when you are done. If all of your stuff doesn't fit, you have too much stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    When I tried modifying my packing style by filling in all the available room by simply stuffing the sleeping bag in the pack, I found the bag would puff up and make it difficult to unpack.
    So now I stuff the sleeping bag in the stuff sack and use clothing to fill in all the extra nooks and crannies.
    This is what I do also. The quilt in it's stuff sack is placed in an turkey oven bag, inserted into the pack. I fits pretty tight but there is still room for clothing. I have shrunk my pack to 45L, so it's important to keep everything compact as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    I squeeze the air out of my sleeping bag, stuff it in a Target bag and then jam that into the bottom of my backpack. Remember, your pack is a giant stuff sack. Just keep shoving stuff in there and then tighten the straps when you are done. If all of your stuff doesn't fit, you have too much stuff.
    Target bag or stuff sack...pretty much the same concept. I can't remove anything that I take without risking safety so I know I don't have too much stuff (Duplex, quilt and sleepwear (minimal), pad, cook pot and spoon with stove and fuel inside, base layers, gloves and beanie, puffy, extra pair of underwear and socks, toiletries and FA kit etc). It'll fit just fine, but not if I don't use a stuff sack (or other constraining device) for my quilt.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Also, when putting in a stuff sack do you think there is much strain on a closed zipper. Would it be better to stuff it unzipped? This is my first light-weight down bag so apologies for all the questions about packing.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Also, when putting in a stuff sack do you think there is much strain on a closed zipper. Would it be better to stuff it unzipped? This is my first light-weight down bag so apologies for all the questions about packing.
    I have always left them zipped up, not sure why. When stuffing, I rotate the stuff sack 360 degrees so that the bag/quilt is layered evenly. On a sleeping bag, I start with the hood first. Never seen or had tears or stress marks near the zippers.

Be curious if there's an "approved or recommended" method from the manufacturers

I put my EE quilt in the small bag that came with the quilt . Then in my pack with trash bag liner. Do what works best for you. My clothes go in a stuff sack 2 aka my pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Target bag or stuff sack...pretty much the same concept. I can't remove anything that I take without risking safety so I know I don't have too much stuff (Duplex, quilt and sleepwear (minimal), pad, cook pot and spoon with stove and fuel inside, base layers, gloves and beanie, puffy, extra pair of underwear and socks, toiletries and FA kit etc). It'll fit just fine, but not if I don't use a stuff sack (or other constraining device) for my quilt.

Thanks for all the responses so far.
    Not exactly the same to me. Maybe from your perspective though. I just found the stuff sack that came with my bag to be small and a challenge to use. There was a lot of wrestling going on in the mornings. I also didn't like how inflexible the stuff sack was with the bag in it. I really like using the grocery bags but of course they aren't very durable. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Not exactly the same to me. Maybe from your perspective though. I just found the stuff sack that came with my bag to be small and a challenge to use. There was a lot of wrestling going on in the mornings. I also didn't like how inflexible the stuff sack was with the bag in it. I really like using the grocery bags but of course they aren't very durable. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Same concept...it's in something you can compress independently from the actual pack. I don't use the stuff sack that it came with either...didn't like it and found a better use for it. I have an extra dry bag that I like to use which is more maleable.

Are you applying enough pressure to get the air out of the quilt? Maybe you need to change the way your are packing. I noticed on zpacks website that many of his photos show his tent in the back exterior pocket. Have you tried this? This would free up a lot of space inside the pack? You might have purchased the wrong volume of pack. I have used the ULA circuit for several years even though my weight would probably fit in an OHM. But, my volume is fairly big.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    Are you applying enough pressure to get the air out of the quilt? Maybe you need to change the way your are packing. I noticed on zpacks website that many of his photos show his tent in the back exterior pocket. Have you tried this? This would free up a lot of space inside the pack? You might have purchased the wrong volume of pack. I have used the ULA circuit for several years even though my weight would probably fit in an OHM. But, my volume is fairly big.
    Probably not re. air in the quilt...I will try again tonight. I've watched plenty of videos and seen plenty of pictures of people packing their 60L Arc Haul with exactly the same amount of stuff as I have, if not more, so I know it's me and not my gear that is having the issue. I have put the tent on the outside as it seems to fit perfectly and ride well but hate using exterior mesh pockets for bulky stuff.

If it fits and rides well....
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

The tent is actually probably the best thing to go in the back mesh pocket due to its weight and dimensions. No pokey, awkward things hanging out in there! I also should mention that I was trying to do all this with a really full and bulky food bag just to see how it worked which goes to show that I could fit 10 days of food in there also!

A good summer-weight (45 degree) down bag compresses nicely into a 2-liter stuff sack. Just a generic silnylon sack. Use a generic plastic (HDPE) grocery bag as a liner for the sack. Put it in your pack. The bag will not get wet, unless your entire pack is submerged.

I don't think I'd be comfortable carrying a down bag spread out loosely inside the pack. Bag must stay dry. (And clean...)

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    A good summer-weight (45 degree) down bag compresses nicely into a 2-liter stuff sack. Just a generic silnylon sack. Use a generic plastic (HDPE) grocery bag as a liner for the sack. Put it in your pack. The bag will not get wet, unless your entire pack is submerged.
    I think this is part of the problem...my bag is a 10* bag. I don't feel comfortable with anything less in the high mountains where I usually camp and pack...it can get down close to 20F even in the middle of August and I'm generally a cold sleeper. I guess I was thinking my bag would stuff smaller than it does, so part of it is the difference between my expectations and reality too.

I see your point. Not sure how I'd carry a bag like that in a sleek little 55 liter internal frame pack. We hike in different terrain.

Back when I carried an external frame pack and a really bulky old down bag, the bag was carried along with the tent and sleeping pad, strapped sideways to the frame below the main compartment.

I can get it down to the size of a soccer ball in a dry bag. Guess that's what I'll keep doing...if it works, don't break it by trying to fix it!

I have an EE quilt, but the 50F model and not down. I fold mine into quarters lengthwise, roll, place in my pump sack (which doubles as my pack liner), add everything that I need for sleeping on top, compress and seal the sack, and it fits well into my ZPacks backpack.
    "Not many miles, but a whole lot of smiles." Vegan Packer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++