Default What's your favorite hiking dress?

I'm planning to hike the AT starting next March and have decided that I definitely want to wear a hiking dress over pants/shorts and a shirt in the warmer parts of trail. I've never worn a hiking dress ever but I've heard nothing but positive things about them. I'm pretty much just wondering what brand/styles trail ladies prefer! If you can post links to the dresses too that would be so so helpful

Thanks cuties!

Images

Cheap nylon dress from Goodwill.

I just bought a skirt from Outdoor Research on Amazon for my section hike in June. Hiked several times in high-seventies to mid 80's temperature and really liked it. With light panties, I could just pull them aside to pee without taking everything down. Very comfy with leggings, too. Especially comfortable commando---I hiked last weekend on the AT in GA on a very windy day, and the wrap is sufficient to keep everything covered even in windy conditions. I like a skirt over a dress because I can lift up my shirt to cool off my midsection. I bought a size up so it fits below the waist---kind of sits on my hips. I like it!

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Resear...s=hiking+skirt

I didn't really think about a skirt but that's a good option too! I'll definitely have to consider that

Images

My wife loves to hike in her Mountain Hardware kilt. I dont think they dont sell the womens anymore, but she bought a new mens and loves the pockets.
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 05-21-2016 at 09:33.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

For me, the Mountain Hardware kilt is too long and kinda heavy. I'm fairly petite, though.

I've become interested in hiking dresses/skirts as well, and have been researching options. The Icebreaker Tech Lite Dress seems like a good merino wool option. If you prefer polyester, perhaps the Prana Calico Dress will work for you. I think I'd prefer trying a hiking skirt first, and am interested in getting a Purple Rain skirt (but want to see what else is out there as well).

I sew, and I made a skirt like the Purple Rain skirt based on the pix---wrap with a yoga waistband. Hated the yoga waistband. Too hot, didn't like how it rolled on my waist.

I sew fairly well myself and I have thought about doing this because I cannot seem to find anything that I really like completely. I would like to try hiking in a skirt also because it seems like it would be really convenient but they are either too short, have shorts under them, or don't look to be very sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by ADVStrom14 View Post
    I sew fairly well myself and I have thought about doing this because I cannot seem to find anything that I really like completely. I would like to try hiking in a skirt also because it seems like it would be really convenient but they are either too short, have shorts under them, or don't look to be very sturdy.
    You can make hiking skirts out of so many things. I'm a barely, passable seamstress yet it was really easy to make this skirt out of an old pair of my son's swim trunks.

image.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    You can make hiking skirts out of so many things. I'm a barely, passable seamstress yet it was really easy to make this skirt out of an old pair of my son's swim trunks.

image.jpeg
    Oooo...I like that! My hubby has an old pair I could likely confiscate and repurpose. I often make things harder than they have to be. I'll have to try this idea.

Jes

++ New Posts ++