WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 100+ Mile Per Hour Winds On Top Of Mount Washington

This is a pretty cool video recently taken (05-16-16) on top of Mount Washington.

I have never hiked the Whites but read that winds on this mountain have topped 230 mph, the highest ever recorded.

Could you imagine hiking in this?

Carl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezIqFyjAUP4

I really wanted them to loose footing and go ass over tea kettle over the side...tha'd be way cool.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Keep in mind that most people who backpack up there in the winter are carrying 60+ pounds of gear as well.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

As long as I carry 90+ lbs of gear to stabilize me, it's a walk in the park for me

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Keep in mind that most people who backpack up there in the winter are carrying 60+ pounds of gear as well.
    And it's a big old sail as well.

yes I can imagine it, but up to now I have been smart/ lucky enough to not have to hike in it.

The whites are awesome but "thou shall respect the weather" is a commandment that you can only break once or twice before you get to meet your maker.

The major hassle with hiking on a windy day above treeline is that the winds are rarely steady. During hurricane season various cable channels have the inevitable clip of the weather guy standing in a wind tunnel being exposed to steady high wind. They lean into the wind and can survive quite high sustained wind velocity. Unfortunately the wind blowing over the rough terrain is rarely steady, vortices form as the wind runs into rough spots. One minute the wind is coming from one direction and the seconds later its reverses 180 degrees or comes in from the side. Therefore you can braced in one direction and very soon you get pushed opposite on you butt. Many folks overestimate the wind speed at the surface and go by the wind speed on the summit which is taken well up off the ground from a tower. Folks have carried hand held anemometers and generally much of 35 MPH at the surface is about it for making any headway.

Journal Entries
    Images

That looks fun and awesome. Thanks for sharing. Didn't they record 200+mph winds up there? Insanity.

Lets go carl

And I'm volunteering as Alpine Steward up there this weekend

++ New Posts ++