My brother and I are planning to backpack over Memorial Day Weekend for two nights (Sat. - Mon). I want to use the trip to get out, but also to reacquaint myself with the AT as I ponder the prospects of a thru-hike in 2017. Since he's in Manhattan, Harriman/Bear Mountain SPs seem to be a good move. I've never hiked this section of the AT, though I've downloaded the detailed NY/NJ Trail Conference map while searching through this forum, trip posts, blogs, etc. online. Seems like a beautiful section.

Questions I have for this lovely community:
  • What trail loops would you recommend to make the most out of the AT? We'll have a car that we need to get back to, and would like to avoid the extra task of arranging a shuttle. (My brother hasn't backpacked before, but is in shape and hikes with me, so I think we're conservatively looking at 8-12 miles/day with the ups and downs I've read about.)
  • Are there any trails/shelters specifically to avoid due to the holiday?
    (i.e. Any that are likely to be overloaded? We're looking forward to seeing/meeting other hikers, so we don't need complete solitude, but would rather not pile on to an already crowded scene...)
  • Is it ok to hang food bags in these parks? I can't find this information on the SP website.

Other insights/wisdom are very welcome.