WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Denver, colorado area mid-september

I'm going to be in Denver mid-September and am having trouble figuring out what hiking I want to do with the endless options available.

First, I will be with my girlfriend who has backpacking experience but doesn't cover a ton of ground (maybe 10 mpd), so I'm torn between just base camping at rocky mountain national park and doing some awesome day hikes (probably 13-15 miles max is doable as a day hike) or mixing in a backpacking loop of around 20-40 miles.

Any suggestions of must do day hikes or short but scenic backpacking trips?

I saw some other threads about this area, but they were more for early season and other areas, so would appreciate any help!

The car camping areas at RMNP will likely be full, it's elk rutting season. Some areas are fcfs, but will likely be full on the eastern side. You can go to the web site with info and links to reservation.gov. Typically the western slope, the drive over Trail Ridge road is remarkable, gets less crowds. Timber Creek CG is fcfs, treeless due to the beetle infestation, but near the head waters of the Colorado River. Backcountry overnights require permits, see availability list on web site.

Some excellent day hikes or overnights, Sky Pond, Mills/Black Lake are very scenic although the TH will be crowded. A good loop is Bear Lake TH to Odessa Lake, Fern Lake to Fern Lake TH, the shuttle will take you back to your car at Glacier Basin Park & Ride. The Wild Basin area is good for an in & out. Long's Peak is a very difficult in & out.

The NW corner, up Poudre Canyon is less crowded, with access to several wilderness area.

If you can arrange a shuttle the walk over Flat Top Mtn is a great point to point from Bear Lake TH to Tonahutu/North Inlet TH. SW corner has access to IPW with some nice in & outs

Indian Peaks Wilderness will be more available, permits required, after Labor Day

Lost Creek Wilderness has some nice long loops, less alpine, more like Moab on granite.

Over the Divide are many more options.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    I'm going to be in Denver mid-September and am having trouble figuring out what hiking I want to do with the endless options available.

First, I will be with my girlfriend who has backpacking experience but doesn't cover a ton of ground (maybe 10 mpd), so I'm torn between just base camping at rocky mountain national park and doing some awesome day hikes (probably 13-15 miles max is doable as a day hike) or mixing in a backpacking loop of around 20-40 miles.

Any suggestions of must do day hikes or short but scenic backpacking trips?

I saw some other threads about this area, but they were more for early season and other areas, so would appreciate any help!
    Roxborough State Park is a great place for day hikes. It is just south of Denver. The Carpenter Peak Trail is a good one. If you want a few more miles, you can combine the Carpenter Peak trail with the South Rim trail.
    Shutterbug

Thanks for the ideas. RMNP and others don't seem to be full then, other than the best sites on the weekend
    I will do some research on the suggested areas

Garlic
    Images

Look at the Ben Tyler trail near Kenosha Pass. It's a nice close-in hike for aspen colors.

There's some nice loop hiking around Buffalo Peak near Dillon.

Journal Entries

No post ..
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-16-2016 at 20:41.

If you enjoy urban hiking, the Highline Canal Trail is a fun hike. The tail is more than 66 miles long, but you can pick sections to hike. When I lived there, I often hiked the section from Hampden Road south to Arapahoe Road.
    Shutterbug

Tonahutu Loop on the West side of RMNP.
    Twitter: @mkehiker

shutterbug - that's cool. We're starting in denver for a couple days to acclimatize and see the city (and drink good beer hopefully), so we could bike or hike on that urban path

that tonahutu loop is close and is a perfect distance. will check it out

Kenosha Pass area is nice, Ben Tyler someone mentioned above. You can access the Colorado Trail from Hwy 285 at several places. The Eagle's Nest Wilderness near Frisco is very nice, lots of choices there and easy access. You can access the Colorado Trail from Frisco. Rocky Mountain National Park is also a good choice. A lot depends on what gear you have and what kind of hiking you want to do. I promise you won't be able to see it all. I live in Colorado and always have difficulty with the endless options. Enjoy!

Having gone to college in the Springs and lived in Southern Colorado for more than 25 years I am admittedly biased, but IMO the best of Colorado is unequivocally south of US 50. You hear much of the San Juans, but in my heart the glory of Colorado is the Sangre de Cristo. From Denver through the Springs and then HWY 115 to Florenee and then HWY 69 to Westcliffe gets you to the Comanche-Venable Trailhead in about 2.5 hours barring Front Range Traffic Madness. Overnighting or two nighting the loop is magical with a peak ascent. Lots of folks dayhike the loop. Do not do this loop if either of you are SERIOUSLY acrophobic. The Phantom Terrace is a treasure.

Sangres Phantom Trail 2.jpgSangres With Aiko Aiko.jpgSangres, Westcliffe Mural.jpg

A longer drive takes you to the West side of the Sangres through one of the greatest towns anywhere, Salida. About an hour south of Salida the unbelievably spectacular town of Crestone has several tremendous trailheads. From the South Cestone Trailhead overnighting or dayhiking Willow Lake is one of my favorite places on Earth. Notice my friend near the top of the Falls in first pic?

.Sangres Willow July 98.jpgSangres Willow 100106.jpg

Journal Entries
    Images

Stanley canyon ar the air force academy is a great day hike.

++ New Posts ++