WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Southbounders

Default Southbounders

Southbounders,
    My name is John (Long John) I was looking for a SOBO forum and couldn't find one, so here goes...

Date starting:
    Trail Name:
    Where you are from:

I am starting June 6th and I am from Summit County, Colorado. Hope to meet you on the trail.

Happy Trails!!
    -LongJohn

Long John I am starting on the 8th. I lived in summit county for a long time. Still have a rental in Alma. I now live in Arlington VA but will be a Florida resident by the time i am hiking. If i see you on the trail we should tally the "Gappers"

LongJohn;
    I also lived in Summit co. from 1973 til 1984. Had a cabin on Ptarmigan mt. and one in Bill's ranch in Frisco. Had to leave when a stop light went up in Frisco---too crowded. I plan to attempt a thruhike sobo in 2017. We may have mutual acquaintances, I still have good friends in Dillon and Frisco.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

Long John. ever feel like you are an outcast? By the responses in this post we are total outcasts

Quote Originally Posted by sellhammer View Post
    Long John. ever feel like you are an outcast? By the responses in this post we are total outcasts
    Meaning Southbounders are outcasts? I wouldn't say that, just 10% of the thru-hiking population so I wouldn't expect to see a ton of responses. I'm starting my SOBO hike July 3rd.

July 7th
    WhiskeyRichard
    All over orig northern cali

SOBO 2 June Mt Katahdin, 3 June hit the trail.

June 19-21 ish Starting from just below the 100 mi wilderness.
    Stirling and my wife Cotton.
    We live in Richmond, Va.
    We are going to work on finishing the AT but we want to end at Katahdin so we are doing a flip flop with a very tiny flop. We have done GA-CT so far and have about 700 miles left.

SOBO thru hiker, starting June 2nd. Starting to get nervous as hell, but I think it's more just excitement to get started and get the first couple hundred miles behind me. Im not exactly sure what to expect or what is required for starting out in the north, so any info would be greatly appreciated. Especially pertaining to lodging and travel at Katahdin.

I'm starting those same days. I'm arriving in Bangor on the 1st, registered with the ATC to start at Katahdin on the 2nd. What are you doing for lodging at the beginning, before you start onto the main trail?

Images

PM me or call me at the the AT Lodge in Millinocket if I can assist in any way.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Phil from http://100milewilderness.info/ is picking me up in Bangor on 1 June. He's putting me up for the night then dropping me off at BSP early morning on 2 June to summit katahdin. Camping in leanto #2 at katahdin stream campground. You need to reserve a spot at BSP like yesterday http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....servations.htm they may already be booked up. Leaving for Abol Bridge early morning 3 June to traverse the 100MW.

:banana

Nice! Chief Duffy hooked me up today with accomodations, I'm gonna be staying at the AT Lodge in Millinocket on the 1st. Summit Katahdin the 2nd, that is if they have the trails open by then. Lady at BSP I talked to was saying there is still a good bit of snow/ice below tree line. Still have two weeks of some decent warm days to hopefully take care of that. I actually was still able to get a tent site #16 at Katahdin stream campground. Looks like we may be hiking buddies for awhile! (Sorry for the dancing banana! New to the forum, just trying things out) haha

see you on the trail
    happy trails!

July 3rd.
    No trail name yet.
    From Denver

Images

Looking fwd to seeing you, ADawg. We all have our fingers crossed for Big K to open soon! Several hikers here waiting....
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I wonder how many have already summited Katahdin and started SoBo as of now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CO LongJohn View Post
    I wonder how many have already summited Katahdin and started SoBo as of now.
    Zero. The trails up Katahdin are not yet open. There are about a dozen SOBO's on the trail, but they had to skip Big K. BTW, the blackflies are now here, and they are unbelievable. I you're coming up here soon, bring a bug jacket.
    Last edited by chiefduffy; 05-22-2016 at 20:54.

The Southbounder forum is here - enjoy!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

when do you or anyone think Mount Katahdin will open?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++